• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My thought with the poor modifier was that it was an intrinsic characteristic of the province. An empty patch of desert will always be an empty patch of desert, no matter what you do. Building irrigation (trade good permitting) intrinsically counteracts the poor modifier, but it shouldn't remove it and put Oasis Parva on par with an Arid province in Persia, for example. You have to figure that irrigation/forums or other buildings will always be built eventually, it's just a matter of when the money becomes available. As such I'd be reluctant to have a mechanism for removing "poor" from even the non-desert provinces. My understanding is that places like Corsica were never particularly valuable in this era. I could see an event removing "poor" based on population, particularly if growth rates were better constrained. If you can get one of these provinces to 20 pops (or whatever), congratulations, it's not "poor" anymore! :)

Regarding a Trin Tragula style population growth system, it will require a lot of care, unfortunately. The value that seems approximately right to tie to the civilization value (0.0005, +5% pop growth for a 100% civ province) is too small for the game to include it, so one would have to use larger values and then balance other factors to subtract appropriate values. I've seen civ fluctuate to shockingly low values (a few percent) for some reason, so there could easily be pathological situations which would quickly deplete the province population. I also couldn't get a revolt risk modifier to work. Setting city_population to -0.001 (-1% pop growth per 10 pops) worked, at least.

I like the uber-grain and olive trade goods, and will be interested to see what the other two do. Ivory seems redundant with elephants, unless you're extending the map far to the north. Or was it only the Greenland Norse who had walruses to hunt for ivory? That would be a CK mod anyway...

Will the migration event gain an option to decline? I don't think it's possible to get uber-grain to Seleucia, so there would eventually be perpetual grain riots there. A historically strong late-period Parthia could run into the same problem. EU3's "move capital" ability would also offer a way around this, but I doubt that can be modded in.

Hi
I'd like to try this mod, look very interesting...I've download the last version, but when i start the game, it crash during the map creation...i've delete the cache folder and the province_texture folder, have i forgotten something?

Hi
I'd like to try this mod, look very interesting...I've download the last version, but when i start the game, it crash during the map creation...i've delete the cache folder and the province_texture folder, have i forgotten something?
Try manually placing empty cache and province_texture folders in place of the ones you deleted.

You're not supposed to delete the folders themselves, just the contents.

Try manually placing empty cache and province_texture folders in place of the ones you deleted.

You're not supposed to delete the folders themselves, just the contents.

sorry, i've explainded bad, i've deleted only the contents...i've the last beta patch, and the last version of the mod....vanilla game works fine....it's a problem with the rome.exe...

Hi there!

I've been playing the Epigoni mod, but unfortunately it's really rather sluggish. (I assume that's because there's so much extra content crammed into it.)

How do I make the game auto-load the mod without having to use the drop-down menu each time I initialise the game? I only have to neglect to do that once and then I have to empty the cache files and regenerate all the Epigoni maps/paths again to play the mod :(

sorry, i've explainded bad, i've deleted only the contents...i've the last beta patch, and the last version of the mod....vanilla game works fine....it's a problem with the rome.exe...

Are you ok?

Hi there!

I've been playing the Epigoni mod, but unfortunately it's really rather sluggish. (I assume that's because there's so much extra content crammed into it.)

How do I make the game auto-load the mod without having to use the drop-down menu each time I initialise the game? I only have to neglect to do that once and then I have to empty the cache files and regenerate all the Epigoni maps/paths again to play the mod :(

Hi Arakhor,

You are the first to report that its a bit sluggish. What are your system specs out of interest?

You need to have an icon with a target like this:

Code:
C:\Program Files\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis - Rome\RomeGame.exe" -mod Epigoni Mod

Thanks for the short-cut. I've already updated my Epigoni icon :)

I have a GeForce 9600 GT graphics card (512 Mb), 4 Gb of RAM (but only Windows XP) and a dual-core Athlon 6000+, as says my Dxdiag.

I am off on a couple of weeks holidays, with no computer.

Hope you enjoy the new BETA verison. The access to units has changed significantly as per Emperor Walters suggestion above, I played about two years last night and it was quite a different experience. New trade goods ahve been included as well (the olives graphic needs some more work but the others were ok).

Catcha later :)

Enjoy your holiday, Hardradi!

When you come back, I suggest the following adjustments for the Bribery event (id = 542 in ruler.txt). I found it very odd to get a 31 year old consul shortly after the First Punic War!

In the trigger block, add num_of_cities = 50 and change the character wealth requirement to 3000. In the random_character block in the event effect, also change the wealth requirement to 3000, and set the three random_list possibilities to 1500, 2000, and 2500. Or whatever seems reasonable to you. The vanilla values allow a character to buy a consulship for pocket change. I'd guess that if anything my suggested values are still lowballing the value of the office. The num_of_cities line means that 90+% of players will never see this event again, but my reasoning is that this only ever happened historically very late in the Republic, Pompey and Octavian being the examples I could think of.

1. I prefer realism but still think its ok. Living in a so called Mediterranean climate myself, I feel that the temperate climates are a lot more lush and capable of generating more crops and population. I have no facts for this though. Anyone else have an opinion?

My understanding is that ancient plowing technology was not well suited for land which had been recently cleared of trees or was rocky.

I had repetitive ctds when autosaving every few years. I looked at the memory usage and saw that it was close to 2 GB, so i edited the exe to use more than 2 GB. No problems since and i havent seen it go over 2 GB yet. Playing for longer periods seems to make the memory grow bigger. Looks like a mem leak.

I'm very eager to learn the trick too as that issue has been plaguing my games (and my motivation) for months!
From somewhat 525, I have CTD when autosaving. I can normaly play one year with autosave, and at the end of the second one when autosaving: CTD with a C++ library thingy error.

Had a great game with your mod , Hardradi. Actually the first game of ROME enjoyed a bit , even if i still just dont get the ancient atmosphere, even if Epigoni improves it a lot. Had a great early conquering spree with Syrakuse. Now own 4 provinces and already start to worry about Rome... :D Already had a cicil war too (no it wasnt Hieron , hes happy. :D , was a guy who i pissed of because i removed him from an advisor spot.)
Game was sadly ended by a CTD , hope i can continue...

Yes coudl have been around that time...but i just could continue the autosave without problem...the real problem are the Romans...i was dumb enoought ot release that Italaoen league in southern Italy, or whatever its called, and expand 2 provinces into Africa instead. Result ist Rome attacked the league rather soon, i was an ally and even when joined by 2 province Akragas, my ally we were run over in no time. Reloading and not coming to the leagues help doesnt do anything either, Rome just runs over me then later...just cant stop the big red blob, those suckers even guaranteed me just to attack 2 months later... :mad:

The fleet tactic wont work too , i can afford about 10 ships max , while they come at me with stacks of 15 ships. the army situation is about the same sadly. Guess ill just have to take another nation a little further away from a big power, i still think this has alaways been the biggest problem of rome, the map setup just doesnt allow you to play as a minor and survice without massive conquering spree, hell i even did a rather massive one and are no match to rome even with allies.

P.S. Soemhow your mod makes me get involved with the characters a lot better , not CK style but a lot better. Being a tyrany and not having to keep an eye on the senate probably helps too.

Last edited:
hi! i have a problem with the mod, it crashes during the texture loading (province 268, i think)....i've got rome gold (from gamer's gate) with the last patch....i downloaded the province texture in the download thread and put them in the texture folder.....but vanilla game works fine!.....suggestions?