• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Banner.png

'The king is dead! Long live the Council!'

After Nero I 'the Lion of England' Anglléterre passed away in 1236 Anno Domini at the impressive age of 77, the Regency took control of the country. A regency made out of nobles made powerless by the late king. One could say chaos ensued, but in reality, the chaos stopped. By some miracle, the nobles of England gained common sense they seemed to lack to this point. And which they would prove to lack in the future.

Prince Silvester, a weak willed, sickly man of 36 years died soon after his father. He was found dead of pneumonia in his bed. He died as he lived. With the heir dying before the coronation, England found itself without a ruler. The de Anglléterre's were a very boring royal family by european standards and there were no splinter sides or bastards. A council made out of the most prominent nobles, the anglican clergy and represantatives of the commonfolk and guilds gathered in London and they began working on the future of their country.

'Hurray for changes! Hurray for stability! Hurray for the king!'

Starting on seventh December 1236 Anno Domini and lasting for over a year, till eleventh January 1238 Anno Domini, the Great Council of 1236 shaped the England that would rise to greatness during the Rennesaince. After 6 months of hard work, the people have designed a system that would satisfy everyone. The King's Council would be essentially transformed into a parliament. The chancellor, steward, et cetera would keep their positions but from now on they would be merely advisors and wouldn't have any direct power. The King's Council would be divided into three parts : The King, The House of Commons and the House of Lords. The King would keep his absolute power but from now on, passing laws would require a majority of both the House of Commons and the House of Lords to agree on the proposal. On the other hand, the King could veto any law proposed by the Houses of the Council. The council would gather every 5 years in London to summarise what has happened and discuss on changes.

What happened next? After England decided on what the King will do they did what was becoming a tradition when there was no king. They looked for a noble that had it in him to rule them. Scotland and Ireland weren't a possibility and no one in England wanted to take up the mantle. Well, no one who would make a good king. And so, the eyes of the Council turned south, beyond the La Manche channel to find a young head of a splintering of the once great Capets. Édouard de Valois was only 19 when a group of messengers from London arrived at his fathers castle accompanied by an armored cotignent. Charles de Valois was sick at that time and bound to his quarters. And as his firstborn was away doing what all nobles in France were doing, pillaging his neighbours, his thirdborn son was the one receiving the messengers. The same night, he left the Castle with the english taking nothing but the clothes he had on himself. It is unknown what happened to the french line of the House of Valois as they were forgotten unlike the english line. Three months later Edward I Valois was coronated in St. Paul's Cathedral on eleventh January 1238 Anno Domini. But what caused this young man coming from a small castle somewhere in France to be chosen to rule over England? Firstly, he already knew the english language because of his education at the University of Paris (Actually, a castle in the now nonexistent village of Versailles that was transformed into a monastery after France fell into anarchy.). True, it carried no prestige and might've started a laugh or two at best, but it was an education nevertheles. Secondly? Edward I was a man of unbelievable beauty throughout his whole life. Hence, Edward I 'the Fair'.

ValoisofEngland.jpg

The English Valois' first Coat of Arms.
The lily representing England, one and united.

Last edited:
Nero has passed away. Long live the... Capets? Also, I wonder how depopulated Europe will be after the Golden Horde collapses; enough for nomadic cultures to appear in the ashes? The Horselords of the Rhine?

Also, since the Timurids were fought off by the Fatmids; did they conquer India following the failed attempt to conquer the rest of the Middle East?

Aliasing - Good to have you along. And way too high praise. To get even close I'd need to update frequently. :p

Baldor Arbanus - All hail the house of Valois! The Red lillie! I have been pondering the idea of a nomadic tribe rising up somewhere in central Europe. Who knows? ;) And the Timurids were a complete failure in this timeline. Unlike the Golden Horde which is pretty much the Mongol Empire outside of China proper.

Excellent AAR. I have just overcome my normal fear of starting AARs that are already 20+ pages long.

This coronation like a bit of a lottery win for King Edward. Beautiful people get all the luck.

Alfredian - Beautiful people have easier lifes. It's just the way the world works. :p

Sergei Meranov - Thx, but I guess the following won't be met with such good words.

There's no point denying it. Hiatus. And I mean it this time. I simply can't write anything connected with this world of mine. Nothing. Every time I sit down ideas of everything fly by. But nothing that would work here. Nothing that even fits. I'm simply blocked when it comes to Britannia. So don't expect any updates. For a long time very probably. Sorry, but it's better than me trying to cover up my lack of ideas. However, a new AAR might happen. As I said, I have ideas, it's just that they don't fit this setting. So I might write something, I might choose not to do so.

This AAR isn't dead. It'll never go dead. But it is in a coma now.