• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
First time I hear of it. The only boardgames that catched my interest are Scrabble and Monopoly. Knowledge of Bretwalda and many other intersting facts came from boring days, during which I had nothing to do. And whenever I'm bored I go to Wikipedia! Reading random articles can be fun.

Also I've wanted to incorporate Beowulf into the AAR (The great poem of course.). It consists of 12 chapters so would you like me to :
1.Veave them in between normal updates. (I would post the Beowulf update right after a normal one.)
2.All chapters one after another. (I would update them 3 a day I think.)
3.Post only the most important ones. (All important ones, right away.)
4.No sagas!

I want to do it to show everyone that the movie compared to the original is like comparing.... Some art student to Rembrandt.

PS. Second page!

EDIT : The Beowulf updates are gone as I haven't posted all of them, and now that I've been remaking the graphics on all updates I decided to delete those two updates alltogether. That's what the three post below are speaking about.

Last edited:
I know what you mean about Wikipedia - it's standard lunchtime reading for me!

If you like Crusader Kings you'll probably like Brittannia - it's an old game that's recently got a make-over by Fantasy Flight games (I think) and it deals with Britain, it's people and the various invasions that took place between 54BC and 1066. Lots of fun!

As for Beowulf, I'd try and weave it in in whatever way feels natural to you. Deciding on a set format now might limit you later on. You're doing a great job as it is, so I'd imagine that whatever you choose it'll work!

Banner.png

Europe:
Europe-SuperHRE.jpg
Western europe is divided between three major realms. The first is Iberia in which, Sancho Jimenez, king of Leon managed to take most of muslim Iberia after inhereting Castille from his brother.

Second is France, divided between the Roman empire, Aquitanian alliance and the kingdom of the Franks. We've already discussed this realm so we'll move on to the third one.

The British isles, consisting of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland have not changed at all in the terms of borders after the southern lands of Scotland were incorporated into England.

Central europe is dominated by the Roman empire. The german emperors managed to consolidate the power and keep the empire together, keeping them as the biggest power of Europe. However, the Frankens can never be sure, because the empire is swarming with power-hungry nobles waiting for the time to strike. In the south lies the norman duchy of Apulia which managed to resist the german demands of vassalage.

Eastern europe is divided into three powerblocks. Poland, which consolidated it's rule at the expense of pagans and orthodox people of the east. Hungary which conquered Croatia. And finally the Romaion.

The "true" Roman empire went through many hardships under the Dukas dynasty. The turks seized it's eastern lands, destroyed their allies in Georgia and if it wasn't for the Roman navy they would have sieged Constantinople itself! After one of it's many wars the nobles of the empire had enough. Led by the Prince of Kappadokia, Demetrios Komnenus, who gained massive fame in the wars against the turks as a brilliant general. Demetrios marched on Constantinople and seized the city with help from the citizens. Emperor Dukas was overthrown and Demetrios Komnenus was made Emperor. He managed to rebuild the destroyed empire and even took Serbia into vassalage. It looked like the Byzantines had a bright future ahead of them.

DemetriosKomnenos.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe.... :cool:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364263#I6

It's in the middle of the page. "How to re-draw the map"

The maps are very easy to fill out, but painting the borders over is a real pain. Even more so, when you want to make the borders thicker. As you can see there's also a tutorial to how to make the map look like paper, but all my tries at it ended in failure. :p

PS. Give me more posts! The next update is pretty big so i'd rather post it on the next page. Either way it'll be here this evening.

EDIT : Mumble, muble... *Is angry at readers not listening to his pleas*

Last edited:
Banner.png

Christian drank the remainders of wine in his cup. It was his tenth. He never drank so much but now, he simply didn't knew what to do. He wasn't allowed to be by his wife. He wasn't allowed to be with his comrades. He had to sit alone in a room, his only friends being the empty bottles of wine in front of him.

He closed his eyes. Beowulf. He read the great saga. It was written about HIS family. Beowulfs' blood was flowing in him. And it would flow in his sons veins. His son would become the greatest warrior to ever walk upon earth. He would strike down dragons in their human disguises. The so called emperors of Romanion. Both of those snakes.

He looked at the remaining bottle and drank straight from it. He will outshine the first Beowulf. "He will outshine everyone. He will be a conqueror! He will..."

As Christian rose and started screaming more of his sons future acomplishments, he fell down.

"Bah! The devil himself is plotting against me and my son! He tries to take earth from under my feet!", the king tried to get up but his tries were in vain as he fell on the floor once again. "Well, come here and fight me face to face, cur!"

It seemed devil accepted the kings challenge, because moments after those words, Christian drifted to oblivion.

He awoke the next day, his head exploding from pain. He looked out the window and realised the sun was rising. He was unconscious! Teleri could be dead! He jumped out of the bed and ran downstairs to discover his wife holding a small bundle in her arms.

"Is it... Is it a..", "Yes.", his wife interupted him with a smile on her face. A son, Christian smiled. A son! A son that would make Asketilsons the most powerfull family of Europa! Teleri gave the child to a servant and aproached him. "What will be his name?", She looked at Christian with her deep blue eyes. Christian thougt for a minute. "Bard. He will be known as Bard Asketilson. " and quietly added "Bard the Conqueror". He smiled to his wife and embraced her.

================

On 1084, a heir to the english throne was born and the nobles that started to scheme for the throne had to abandon their plans. The throne was secure. But while a king was born in England, a kingdom fell in Europe.

Hungary was in a difficult position. They were surrounded by two empires. One bent on rebuilding itself, the second hungry for power and consolidation of it's position in Europe. 3 years after birth of Bard, in 1087 Byzantium allied with hungary to destroy the pechenegs between them. The allied forces quickly destroyed the pagan rabble, and the lands were divided between the two nations. Most of the fighting however, was done by Hungary. While the imperial armies marched in discipline, the hungarian nobles went into a mad dash across the pecheneg lands, pillaging the country side. After the war, Hungary found its army weak and tired. Demetrious Komnenos saw this as a possibility. He went into a secret agreement with the Germans, and in 1088, Hungary was backstabbed. The hungarian army was crushed between the disciplined imperial legions and the german heavy cavalry. Their lands were divided in favor of Germany. This was Demetrios' cunning plan. While he gained what he wanted he made Germany look like the agressor, with the hungarian royal title going to them.

Romanion had what it wanted. No enemies on its western border. The germans had good relations with them, and they were no real threat because of the vassals becoming rebelious demanding the emperor to stop his agression.

Hungarydivided.jpg

Hungary after the Hungarian war

Last edited:
It's nice to see William actually did get a throne though perhaps not the one he wanted. When the HRE falls apart it will be interesting to see who comes to power in the low countries.

Iain Wilson - Thx. Don't worry, the germans will get what's coming to them.

Devin Perry - All I can say is that de Normandies have a bright future ahead of them.

Enewald - The greeks only wanted to secure their western border to be able to focus on the east, while the germans wanted to conquer Europe. So it wasn't foolish of them, it was cunning.

1000 views!!! I am honored.

Two Beowulf updates coming today and a normal one tommorow.

A teaser as my thanks to you all -

NewBitmapImage-4.jpg

Last edited:
You get attacked by Smurfs?

You get attacked by Smurfs?

We'll have to wait a while for that. Those are two provinces in Europe which changed colours. England had nothing to do with it.

Although it may be tommorow for some of you already, for me it's 22:36. So here come the updates.

Ok, change of plans. I've posted the first two chapters of Beowulf, but it seems not many are interested. :( And even worse, the chapters are getting bigger... So as most people would just scroll down and not read them, I've decided to post a link to the site with the saga for all interested or intruiged by the first two chapters. Here it IS.

So normal update coming tommorow. For the forum time, today.

Last edited:
Banner.png

After the brilliant reign Heinrich von Franken which seen Europe become dominated by the Germans the empires luck ended. In 1090 Heinrichs only son, Rudolf, rose to power. Rudolf was an incompetent man, and to add to his misery, he was cursed with being a hunchback. The many new dukes that joined the kingdom under Heinrichs rule had the chance for revenge. Almost all of border duchies rebelled against the king as soon as he was crowned, this created a landslide of rebellions. The duke of Austria rebelled claiming that if he will not intervene, Germany will fall. This declaration was followed by many other dukes claiming the same thing themselves. Soon all of Germany was in an open revolt.

This was used by Richard de Normandie, king of France. Now 63 years old Richard declared war on the low countries and the lands took from France during Heinrichs rule. Although opposed by his family, Richard went on to lead the armies himself. The dukes were quickly overrun with only the duke of Holland defending itself longer. Richard proclaimed himself king of the Low Countries, or as in dutch of the Nederlands.

The rest of the border was set west of the Rhein. Richard then made his armies march back to France proper. However, he put one more of his plans into live. His army marched a longer route, going near the borders of Aquitaine. The dukes scared that he's getting ready for an invasion offered themselves in vassalage. The southern ones however, decided that anything was better than a french king and joined their Iberian neighbours.

HRE-destroyed.jpg

Europe after the fall of Holy Roman Empire
*German colour - The various independent dukes left after the fall
*Green colour in Italy - Various independent Italian dukes and counts​

As you can see here, two other nations benefited greatly from the fall. Romanion which took much of Hungary that was taken by Germany, and Poland. The Polish king, Wilhelm Gryf conquered Slovakia, Bohemia and much of the border provinces. He want as far as claiming to be the "King of all Slavs". It was made clear that Russia is next on Polands list.

The two lesser gainer in this were Denmark and Venice. Denmark went on to conquer the german baltic lands while Venice simply bought the counties they were interested in.

In two years all the kings that benefited from the fall of the HRE have consolidated their rule and old sentiments and patriotism were rooted out. And it was then, that on the eve of Christs birth, tha Richard de Normandie awoke one day only to find himself incapable of seeing. The king knowing that what he built would be destroyed if he insisted on staying in power, he abdicated leaving his son Robert "Courtheuse" as king. Richard went on to being a chancellor for his son, but most of his time was spent on completing his journals in which he described his tactics and ways of waging war.

And where is England in all this, you ask? Christian grew even more isolationist claiming that the good of Britain is above the good of anything else. He went as far as disbanding the alliance with the Germans leaving them to their fate.

Last edited:
I knew it :D
Germany is probably divided into 20 different independant states atm, the other countries probably have various independants and a few exclaves too but showing all that in the map would take hours