• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mr. Capiatlist - Not when the HoI part focuses on something else because the whole world is already conquered. And Leo will find himself in a better position than you can imagine.

Enewald - No matter how hard you try, you will find yourself invading France when you're England. It doesn't matter if you're norman or saxon.

Sorry, but there will be no update. Maybe you've noticed (Even if you didn't, I did.) that some updates are better than other. That some updates seem rushed. Well, that's because sometimes I want to write, and sometimes it's more like a chore. And we don't want that.

That's why there will be no update this weekend. It doesn't mean the AAR is on hiatus, God forbid. It's just that I'd rather give you good updates less frequently than mediocre ones every weekend.

Sorry, and I hope you understand. I'll hopefully have a proper update next weekend.

Sorry, and I hope you understand. I'll hopefully have a proper update next weekend.

We understand. It's always tricky to write when you don't have the inspiration. Here's hoping your muse makes a housecall soon!

I completely understand. I'm sort of having the same problem right now with my Rome AAR (one update, second partially written but without a lot of inspiration and fun). I'm sure in a few days or weeks you'll get your mojo back!

No matter what Paradox game, no matter what age, no matter what nation you are playing, you find yourself always invading Gaul/France/something-located-there. Always.:cool:
Unless you are playing France. :D

Here's hoping your muse makes a housecall soon!

So that he can seduce her and get her pregnant, ensuring that we get at least weekly updates for at least the next fifteen to twenty years? Way to think outside of the box, Iain!

On a more serious note, we'll still be here waiting when the inspiration does come to you :)

Iain Wilson - Let's hope so. I'll start writing the update now, so you can expect it tommorow if she does.

Qorten - I hate it when it's like that. When you write the update without inspiration, you feel like you don't give your idea justice.

Enewald - That is true. Even when you're playing as France. Someone has to unite the country after all...

Eams - As said above let's hope I succeed.

I'm opening my notepad the second I finish this post.

Banner.png

The boy that would destroy the balance of power in Europe studying in the Greatest city of Europe, the man that was to be king of a young nation, imprisoned in a dungeon, and the child that would change the world was about to be born in a land far far away.

But those were things of little importance for the rulers of Europe. Especially for the one ruler that was on the verge of the "civilised world" of Europe. Grand Caliph al-Nasir Fatimid, Grand Master of the Hashishin order, Protector of Islam and The Prophet reborn has completed his conquest of the Seljuks. And the only thing on his mind was that Islam was finally united under one banner. That Islam was ready to enter the Eternal War again, to fight back the infidel and to take all muslims into their protection.

East.jpg

Fatimid Caliphate and its neighbours
1169 Anno Domini

One of the many things that went through Leos head was how could he not know his damned father was one of the nobles that escaped to Iberia. And that he was elected as their ruler. In short, instead of running away from him, Leo came right into his hands. And now he was on his kneels before the throne of the ruler of the Third Rome. He wished he could wipe the smirk off his fathers face. Dressed in the robes of an emperor, Hah! That dog wasn't worthy of wearing a beggars rags.

The Basileius walked down the steps and approached the prisoner. "You created a mass of problems for me. Son...." Leo shuddered when he heard the word "son" come out of his mouth. Bloody bastard. Manuel Dukas slapped his son and grabbed him by his chin, making him look into his eyes. "You evaded my people for years you little bastard! But this is it." The older Dukas wiped his hand in a piece of cloth and ordered to his guards. "I want that bastard to be executed by hanging. Publically at noon."

As the guards dragged him away, Leo cursed his luck and his father. His luck ran out and he was to die at the hand of his father. It couldn't be worse.

----1171 A.D.----
Nero had to agree that the tricks were very usefull when trying to impress other kids. He couldn't think of anyone in the court that didn't like him. His tricks made him interesting, and his charisma made them want to stay. At least that's what Mustapha would say. He closed the book he was reading as it was clear the boredom was to big and he would learn nothing. He sighed and looked out of the window. He could see Jean, Albrecht and Rodrigo fighting with wooden swords. He wished he could join them, but alas, his german was still very rusty and he had to train it.

Nero may have been only 12, but he already knew 4 languages, knew how to read and write and above all, was skilled in both diplomacy and intrigue. And if those two failed him he was also skilled in tactics and personal combat. He was also fascinated by the stories of old, the kinds of Charlemagne or King Arthur were his idols. But what everyone was most happy about was the fact that he was perfectly sane. That ment England had a smooth succesion while France had a chance to make themselves a puppet of the young heir. A mad man wouldn't be any good to them as mad men tend to be unpredictable. That was why Silvester was always treated with caution by the Franks. Well, everyone was cautious around him, but France especially.

Screams could be heard through the camp. Lights could be seen in the biggest tent, and a small crowd gathered aroung the entrance. All of them were men, and one of them was walking in a circle glancing at the tent every now and then. "It's taking too long!" He shouted and stopped. "Patience. You can't rush nature." The old man sitting on a bench looked at the man with a smirk on his face. "All of us feel the same in those moments. You just have to wait." Those words seemed to calm the man as he sat on the bench too. "But how long?" He asked after a moment. And it was then that a woman walked out of the tent and announced. "The child has been born healthy." All of the men breathed easy at the news. "Can I see him?" The man was back on his feet. "Not yet. There is still much to be done." She went back inside and left them alone again. One of the men said. "Don't worry Yesügei. She said all is good." Yesügei looked at the stars in the sky and after a moment responded. "I know. It's just that I would to see him as soon as possible. He is my son."

Last edited:
Perhaps Nasir wants Egypt and the Levant? Looks like Shia Islam will be dominant in this timeline. I wonder if, like any good Muslim, he will move on Konstantiyye, City of the World's Desire...

And when you write Silvester is 12, do you mean Nero... or is there a second Silvester to replace our erstwhile Pharaoh?

Very good update. I like the little snippits of information.

What will happen to the White Wolf?
The Mongols are coming!
Nero is sane? We'll see how long that lasts! ;)

I've been catching up a bit on your AAR. I really like your maps - they're good quality. Bård Asketilson also seems to be quite the compelling character. I've still got a ways to go -- I'll keep posting my comments as I keep reading.

Qorten - Yep. I actually felt like writing so the quality is better. At least that's how I see it. :p

mayorqw
- They were never strong to begin with in this game. And then I realised that the Fatimids are conquering the rebels that are springing up everywhere on Seljuk territory. And the I realised I had the AI as an aggresive one. Anyways, the Fatimids had more luck. + A great leader.

Enewald - Because of the mistake (Of which we shall not speak!) I don't know who you're reffering too. The child is perfectly sane, and the father is bonkers. And yes, Genghis is coming. Although I don't know how well he'll fare against über Fatimids. Russia is pretty weak though, so we'll see.

loki100 - Ottoman Empire 400 years early! That's how this will develop! :D

Iain Wilson - Yup. It's nice when the game is diverse.

Hannibal X - There shall be only one Islam. One people, one religion, one country. And I doubt the pile of rubble is on the top of his priorities. Jerusalem on the other hand... Ekhem.... Look! A three-headed monkey! Fixed the mistake. -_-

AllmyJames
- Leo is going to have his world turned upside down in a few hours. And I don't think Nero will go crazy. Warrior kings can't be mad and he looks like he's going to be one.

AlexanderPrimus - Bård... The original idea was that he would conquer all of Britain, then move on to Scandinavia and establish a nordic kingdom. I thought this England will be a saxon dynasty/norman people England. Peasant rebels decided otherwise.... And thanks. They're quite easy to make actually.

Banner.png

Time didn't bring anything but trouble for Silvester, king of England. Silvester now aged 49 was aware of his growing madness. Or so he thought. He knew that he couldn't keep the kingdom together, and that's why he decided to do something drastic. He decided to abdicate. But that's where his brilliance came to an end because his madness came back. Instead of abdicating in his sons favour, giving his heir time to age up, he decided to kill himself. A civil war wasn't a possibility, Nero was the only male child of Silvester and Victoria, the people were satisfied and the nobles would be acting against themselves if they put England at war. And so, the rule of Silvester the mad came to an end. The mad king threw himself off the magicians tower which brought even more repercusions. After his death, Mustapha the black was executed because the nobles believed it was him that caused the suicide. In truth, they knew perfectly well Silvester was mad and very unstable, it was just a convenient situation to rid themselves of an undesirable man.

Nero, aged 15, returned from king Stéphanes court in mourning. With him came 3 men that he befriended while in Paris and which had no reason to stay in the french court. Jean de Lusignan, son of an impoverished french noble, Albrecht von Winterthur, bastard son of a german prince and Rodrigo D' Porto, castillian noble in exile were friends of Nero, and they would become important figures in both his and Englands lifes.

At the time of his ascension, Nero was in grief over both his mentor and his father. That was one of the factors that made him leave the matters of the state to the regency council which was in theory to help him rule for another year but in practice, because of his mourning, it ruled over England completely. As months passed Nero accepted the loss of two important figures in his life and turned to living on the edge. Young, rich and powerful he lived as he saw fit. Some say he did it to forget, some that he was taking life into his own hands for the first time. In either case, Nero became a thrill-seeker and mingling with the nobles, hunting and feasts were his pastimes. Two years passed as the king was living the life, and it was after those two years that a historic event happened. A thing that would have a pernament effect on the world. The nobles of England have petitioned the young king to sign a charter that would reinforce the nobles right, establish the three caste system in England again by making all of the original merchant caste as nobles with their own houses and official coats of arms, destroying most connections to serfdom established in Europe, turning all of the peasants into freemen that owed little service to their lords. This Great Charter also limited the kings rights although he was still above everyone but God. It's role was to protect the rights of the nobles, the merchants and the peasants. This charter was written in latin and is officialy known as Magna Carta. The king quickly agreed and signed it, understanding that he would be able to focus even less on the affairs of the realm.

Magna_Carta.jpg

Magna Carta
1176 Anno Domini

Three years passed and all was well. Nero, now 20 years old, was slowly changing his lifestyle to a more regal one but he was still a wild soul. The Magna Carta improved lifes of many people in England and things were well. But the king wasn't a man for peace. And so, Nero started a very long preparation for what was to be the biggest invasion and war the world has seen. He started to prepare a fleet and army to invade France. The slow preparation begun and it was to continue for 3 years before the phase of attack would begin. The nobles had no choice but to agree, they proposed a document that said every noble had to agree to a call of arms at least once every 5 years or be punished by both the king and the other nobles. Soldiers from all over England were being trained and equipped, outlaws were being trained and formed into special brigades with promises of amnesty after the war, mercenaries from as far away as Greece were brought to England to take place in the event to come. It was also then that the famous longbow brigades were created. Equipped with top-notch marksman longbows based on the welsh bows, they had the best bows in all of europe and maybe the whole world.

longbow.jpg

The longbow brigades or the "Welshmen" were a key figure in the war

As the armies ammased and the country prepared itself for war, Nero looked for allies. People that could help him in toppling the Franks. While the Holy Roman Empire was far from interested, being centered on the east and north instead of west, the Roman empire in Spain was a possible ally with lots of potential. The fact that the Byzantine emperor was a young man very alike to Nero, also hoping to gain power and wealth at the expense of its powerful neighbour. Nero was to travel to Cordoba by one of the newly created fleets with great gifts for the emperor Leo Dukas. An alliance would be benefitial for both nations but it were the medevial times, and the first impression of a nation kings could be more important for the talks than what the nations could gain.

----1169 A.D.----​

Leo couldn't believe what has happened. Noone would be able to. In mere days, he went from being a prisoner sentenced for hanging to a ruler. While he was having his last meal, his father died because of his heart. And because the young empire hasn't really done anything on the succesion part, he was the heir to the empire. And as crazy as it may seem, the people supported him. He couldn't believe his luck.

In mere days Leo Dukas was crowned Basileius ton Romaion and became the ruler. And it has to be said he took the task placed before him with all of his heart. While he was still a care free, indulgent rogue, he also became an emperor that thanks to the extent of roman feudalism and burecracy didn't have many tasks. An emperor that wanted to take his nation to a better future, because as everyone knows, power and wealth are the best drugs. When you have a little, you always want more.