• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 2.8: 1940​

---News From the Front, A PRAVDA Radio Report---
Good Morning Comrades, the time is 8:32 in Moskva November 19 1940. Now it is time for a News Recap of the past month from all across the Union and her allies.

At last news the Spanish Civil War still raged, with the Nationalists in the north holding a river line, but Soviet friendly Republicans controlled the whole of the south, including Madrid. This clearly shows how the Republicans are the legitimate government of the Spanish, and the northerners are simple rabble.

Last Month on the 20th, Vladivostok was lost once again to the Japanese. With Red army forces being nonexistent, the defense was left to valiant but inexperienced Chinese militia units. Chairman Mao has promised the elimination of the Japanese on mainland Asia by July of next year, and is committing significant resources to that effort.

On the 6th of November the United States of America elected President Roosevelt to office over republican Alf Landon. Stalin sent him a bottle of Stolichnaya vodka as a congratulatory present as well as an early Christmas gift.

The PLA Marched south into Vietnam, where General Lin Bao proclaimed to his troops that "The first to Saigon gets a free copy of the Little Red Book!" troops were initially disheartened, until they learned that the Little Red Book was actually a coupon book to get in to all of the upper class halls of ill repute.

Yesterday we received word that the 1st Army was recently deployed to Siberia along with over 50 divisions of Chinese soldiers, in the hopes of pushing the Japanese out of the Far East mainland entirely.

This is all of the news of the past month, the time is now 9 52. Please stand by for the 2 minutes of hate.

---Anthem of the USSR---

Last edited:
Er, good luck then...

May I recommend to invade mainland Japan from any open ports in North Primorsk? Japan rarely defends its mainland.

Chapter 2.9: So it Begins​

To: Stalin
Re: Build Up

Great Comrade Stalin this is a message to inform you of the increasingly tense political situation between the Comintern and the Axis. First of all in July the Tripartite Pact was signed, leading to concern of being attacked from both the east and the west.

The Germans posses a formidable army, but one that is smaller then ours. In February our initial defense plan looked like this, but has since changed. The original plan was for us to make a fighting retreat to Kiev, where we would use the river and new forts to defend ourselves.

Once we re-incorporated the Lithuanians as a soviet republic, we deployed armies up there (the 1st and 4th) in the hopes that we could stall northern advances at Wilno.

Also, here is an update on our research. As you can see we are working on our naval prowess as well as on a new form of motorized division, as well as the new T-34/76 tank.

Speaking of a navy, we need a new one after the commander of the Marat and his compatriots decided they refused to sit in port any longer, they went and charged headlong into an enemy force of 64 ships, including several carriers. Although the battle was valiant and heavy damage exacted on one of the carriers, almost the whole fleet was destroyed in the glorious battle. It will always be known as the battle of Vladivostok Bay.

In other, happier news, we began working on the first mechanized divisions, hopefully to smash the Japanese. The Germans have also had a massive buildup on the border that is worrying.

The Chinese are containing the problem that is the incursion into Siberia, by swinging around the coast it is hoped that they will encircle and destroy a large portion of the IJA.

This combined with the fact the Japanese will be out of oil shortly should hopefully spell their doom for all involved on the home islands. we hope to smash them against the rocks of Communism, and our new 1941 pattern soldiers.

Also, Comrade Vasilevsky has rewritten the officers field manual to include a new section on defense in depth and how to use it effectively. we hope these improvements on a tactical level will lead to widespread strategic success.

The Japanese clearly want peace, but send these paltry offers. both the Chinese and the Soviet foreign service are amused by the hastily written scribbles that are sent to us, and we have invested in a large stamp that says "nyet".

With the entire Red Army upgraded we started work on new motorized divisions, which would be useful on the plains of Europe... if it came to war that is.

Here is the deployment of forces in the north, on June 6th. The standoff between us and the Germans is expected to continue for another couple of months, it would be a little early for a war methinks.

End of Chapter 2

Last edited:
Subscribed:D

I will follow this good AAR!

But why did you take whole IC take over?

My fault, mainly. I forgot that HoI2 does, in fact, give ComChi and NatChi cores over all of China proper. :eek:o

It will be too easy for you to take over the world:( :)

Yeah...we kinda realized this halfway through the game.

Then we gave Axis and Allies a +50% in IC, resources, and MP.

Communism's Last Legs? :rofl:

Hmm...

Oh fine ^_^ I don't have the screenies, so you'll have to put up with a text update. Hope everyone's fine with it?

I awoke, staring at an unfamiliar ceiling. The events of the previous night came back to me, a dribble at a time. After the retaking of Vladivostok, I had been rushed to Moscow by air to be honored for the Eighth Route Army's final assault that had broken the Japanese hold on the Soviet port. I had never seen quite so much vodka in my life, nor had I ever realized just how bad Marshal Konev's singing voice was, until last night. Comrade Stalin could barely stand as he handed General Zhang, commander of 5. Juntuan, one of my light divisions, the first Guards Banner to be awarded a non-Soviet unit.

Stumbling out of bed, I pulled on my uniform, eventually finding my boots under my pillow. How they got there, I have little desire to find out. My only purpose at that time was to obtain some tea to perhaps quell my headache.

As I staggered down the halls of the Kremlin, wincing at the bright lights, a lance of pain buried itself in my brain. Some idiot functionary was running down the hall with a kettle of tea and some mugs in his hands, shouting something indecipherable. To be honest, all I cared about was that tea. I grabbed him, threw him into a chair, took the kettle out of his hands, poured myself a mug, and continued on my way, hopefully to find Marshal Zhukov.

By the time I arrived at Stavka, I realized something was wrong. The staff there were deathly quiet, and the usually boisterous Comrade Stalin was sitting in his chair staring at a piece of paper as if it declared the end of the world. When I approached, he handed it to me wordlessly. A moment later, I heard a crash. Looking down, I realized that my hands were shaking so badly that I had dropped my tea. With disbelieving eyes, I read the paper again. No mistake.

It was from the Northern Front HQ. A massive German spearhead of over sixty divisions, led by von Rundstedt, the Black Knight, had smashed into our defenses in the Baltics this morning. We had already lost radio contact with three Corps HQs, and it had not yet been six hours from the start of the offensive. I made a rough estimate of German progress from the positions where we had lost contact with divisions, and was stunned to realize that the bulk of the German armor was almost at Kaunas.

A sudden call from the nearest telegraph startled all of us. In a few minutes, the operator stood up woodenly with the transcribed message in his hands, and gave it directly to Comrade Stalin. The sudden change in the color of his face, from white to red to purple, was fascinating.

Then he exploded.

"Yeb' tvoyu mat, Hitler! Nyekulturny viblyadok! Listen up, and listen well, men of the Red Army! That son-of-a-bitch sitting in his chair at that house of whores they call the Reichstag has some big brass ones, to accuse US of beginning a border incident and declaring war on the Comintern! The hell with him! We'll kick him and his dogs back into Germany, tails tucked between their legs! I want every train running Red Army soldiers expedited to the front! I don't care if we burn out half the locomotives in the Union to do it, I want that bastard stopped! Listen up, soldiers! The Germans come with their Fuhrer black, trying to force the Revolution back, but from Chinese cliffs to Russian snows, the Red Army will crush its foes! Kick some Fascist ass!"

"ZA RODINAAA!"

- Marching for Mao, an autobiography of Lin Biao. Excerpt dated (date unknown, likely the start of the Great Patriotic War)

Last edited:
Nice AAR.

Can't help but comment on the Russian used here:
"vnebracnyj rebenok!" is translated from Russian as "a child born out of wedlock", i.e, that isn't coarse language at all, rather than a legal term. There is a coarse word that means the same, "viblyadok" "выблядок", which has been used as an insult for generations.

Hope that helps. :D

Nice AAR.

Can't help but comment on the Russian used here:
"vnebracnyj rebenok!" is translated from Russian as "a child born out of wedlock", i.e, that isn't coarse language at all, rather than a legal term. There is a coarse word that means the same, "viblyadok" "выблядок", which has been used as an insult for generations.

Hope that helps. :D

Got it, thanks. I learn German, not Russian...and Google doesn't distinguish the two terms :rofl:

nice! I like the AAR so far (although I always favor the Republic in the Chinese CW :p)
May I ask where you are from that you learn German? (I'm from eastern Germany and learned a little Russian myself, although I've already forgotten most of it)