• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Aww, what a disappointingly short diary.

The concept looks nice though.
Hopefully the AI will be able to cope acceptably with this SoI, and take it into account in his actions without dooming itself to a quick death.

Seems to me that placing someone under your SoI is basically saying "I'll annex you in a bit, just need to tie up a few loose ends at home". Just like in reality. :p
Not to me; more like "I don't plan to annex you, but nobody else can either." The Monroe Doctrine seems like an excellent historical example to me of the USA declaring that Latin America is in their Sphere of Influence.

Some questions:

1. Is it a fixed 20 prestige for all declarations, or does it vary depending on the size of the target country? Or, for example, should it cost an extra 10 prestige to declare a SoI over a country of a different religion?

2. Does a sphere of influence apply across the board, to every country including your own allies? So if, for example, France and Spain were allied and both declared Portugal in their Sphere of Influence, does that mean that if Spain then invited Portugal into an alliance France would get a casus belli against them?

3. I assume the casus belli from breaking a sphere of influence lasts for one year, the same as other action-related CBs?

4. Is there any prestige or relations penalty if your SoI is breached but you choose not to declare war on the perpetrator? ("Aragon is mine and nobody else can attack them!... er, except for you, Mr Huge Blobbly France. You go right ahead while I, er, look the other way...) Do you keep the SoI or is it lost?

5. Can you choose to revoke a sphere of influence yourself? Especially if, as above, there's a penalty for not responding to a violation.

The russian lands seems completely renewed. And yes Kasimov seems new to me.

Question the 50% cost in the Cuses Belli against Aragon, does that mean half the war score is needed?

The concept seems nice. Finally some real great power politics in the game. :)

I like the change in the Russian provinces, very interesting.

I thought SoI were a later 19th and 20th century thing. No biggie, it looks very interesting however I can see this taking a few patches to sort out.

Hmmm, interesting concept.

Although I would probably like to see "Spheres of Influence" being something that the player can't just pick whatever it wants. I would rather see it as a decision by major powers. Or at the very least I would love to see being bargained with as a comodity. England could let Spain have influence over the caribean as long as it helped the war against France. That sort of thing.

Will this apply to colonial/overseas trade areas? It'd be nice to have a semi-TOT back again. Spain trying to keep foreign colonizers & traders out of the new world. Or the Portugal - Netherlands - Britain sequence in the east (with France trying, but losing.)

It's short yeah but it's also a killer feature.

- Can you expand your SoF when you have negative prestige or do you have to accumulate it first? If the latter is true I guess Patron of Arts will be hotter than National Bank now. :)

Will one be able to extend a SoI over non-inhabited provinces (future colonies) so that no other nation can colonize there, such as in Victoria? This would help in keeping Portugal and Spain out of New England & Canada.

Is that a new Russian province Kasimov I spy in the third picture?!
It would appear the area around Moskva has been reworked.

Urge of conquering Jerusalem and Mecca.... rising... :rofl:

(okay its a bit obscure. Catholic countries gain a prestige bonus when holding either of these provinces)

This definitely sounds like it will add a nice twist to the game. I hope however that the AI will be able to handle it and not only react properly to others invading their SoI, but also to becoming part of someone else's SoI - which obviously should not be in everyone's interest.