• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Damn it, I need more Dev diaries! MORE! Preecioussssssss diariessssssss!

Besides anti-blobbing, I'm really looking forward to being able to deter other countries from conquering so-and-so before I can. Or doing something obnoxious, like guaranteeing them just before I want to declare war. Methinks I'll be doing a lot of time expanding my SoI just ahead of my prospective conquests in my warmongering games.

Hope there's no (or little) penalty for conquering within your SoI!

Do you get a bonus to diplo annex a country in your sphere of influence? Does it give trade benefits in their CoT or any other form of economic boost?

Is there a kind of cassus belli that allows you to take provinces from a country in your sphere of influence? If you go to war with a country in your sphere do you lose the sphere?

If the country in your sphere gets too powerful, does it break free?

Can player-controlled countries be placed in AI spheres of influence and, if so, how does that limit what we can do?

Will certain countries start the game already within the sphere of influence of others?

This is just awesome... nothing to add, pretty much everything EU3 needs and the expansion will even consist of more o_O

They can refuse that as much as your average Italian citystate could refuse France..

Too bad there isn't an ability to seduce rulers and use the softer (manipulative) side of diplomacy.

Perhaps if monarch's had a "charm or persuasiveness" level we could use it for a select set of diplomatic options. Think creativly - seduction. Also, perhaps there could even be one or two diplomatic options available for females only. For example the Duchess of Milan as a female ruler could have the ability to make the King of France, as a male monarch, her mistress. This could yield a specific bonus - ie: preventing a DoW, prestige, increased DIP bonus when dealing with the specific country. The only difference is that, in this particular situation the option should only be available to be used on one country at a time.

That would counter the anti-blobing effect, doesn't it?

Somewhat, but I figure the SoIs would counter blobbing by discouraging others from conquering states, or even setting up the circumstances with which they would start a war.

Will it replace the proclaim guarantee option or be proclaim guarantee +?

Somewhat, but I figure the SoIs would counter blobbing by discouraging others from conquering states, or even setting up the circumstances with which they would start a war.

Seems to me that placing someone under your SoI is basically saying "I'll annex you in a bit, just need to tie up a few loose ends at home". Just like in reality. :p

Actually, what advantage does a guarantee have over an SoI, other than no prestige cost? An SoI provides all the same advantages, and more, in regards to scaring others off.

I'd like to see what the differences are in terms of your own actions towards the country in question. Or, if Paradox is going to tweak guarantees (and other diplomatic options) a bit.

Seems to me that placing someone under your SoI is basically saying "I'll annex you in a bit, just need to tie up a few loose ends at home". Just like in reality. :p

I think a SoI is more like a sign stay out of my backyard to other great powers than a 'I'm gonna annex you' towards the country itself, more a 'do as you please, as long as you do what I want'

The SoI gives a CB on anyone who "meddels" with them... what about the actual "meddeling"? Is there a reduced chance that other states will try to manipulate your SoI's? Will the AI know that it's setting itself up for problems if it requests mil access from an SoI?