• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Doomdark

Chief Creative Officer
Paradox Staff
61 Badges
Apr 3, 2000
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • War of the Roses
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
Have you ever been annoyed by people who do not seem to understand the concept of personal space? Maybe some relative with zombie halitosis? In international politics, this type of thing is common. Big countries like to stand much too close to small countries and, preferably, boss them around. If you think Aunt Josie is bad, you have not had a hug from Tsarist Russia... This brings us to a new concept in "Heir"; Spheres of Influence. At the cost of some prestige, powerful nations can extend their Sphere of Influence over weaker nations by means of a new diplomatic action. This is similar to a guarantee of independence, but any form of meddling (offers of alliance, guarantees, military access, etc) by an outside power will yield a Casus Belli. A sphere of influence can normally only be reduced by force (peace option) or if the balance of power shifts enough. The system provides a new use for prestige and a reason for the great powers to go to war with each other.

That's it for now. Further morsels next week, amigos!

Attachments

• Expand Influence.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 9.022
  • SoI CB.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 6.637
  • SoI Map Mode.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 6.485
Hmm, a little short, can't wait to be somewhere where I can look at the maps.

Edit: I definitely like the idea of being able to spend prestige, hope there will be more opportunities to.

Short but nice... i love that new concept :)

I simply approve of the word 'meddles' being in the game. Those meddling kids!

EDIT: Hm, actual question. Can you spend prestige into negatives? That would make it seem to me that one could spend to -100%, have it recover somewhat quickly with the right NIs, and continue the process. I would think it could get out of hand.

Can I put anyone under my SoI, or do I have to share a border with them? Are there any other restrictions on it, can I add Algeria to my SoI as England in 1399, or only Scotland/Irish Minors, etc.

Doe it cause any relation issues or resentment in the SoI country? If I declare Scotland in my SoI do they take a relation hit with me, do they get a causus belli to make me take back the SoI?

Do you have to be a certain size above the other country? I would be weird to be playing Luxumbourg and declare that France was in my SoI. :D

You are limited in which countries you can do it, depending on distance, size compared to you etc.

I hope the AI knows not to meddle unless it's willing to put up a fight.

Will the AI be able to competently take spheres of influence into consideration?

Will you there be a way to extend your sphere of influence over a country which is in another's sphere? If not, i can see the game turning into a big sphere-grab.

Will this have any separate affect on the Holy Roman Empire?

EDIT: Also, will there be and restrictions based on the size of your country? As in, can an OPM with 100% prestige put France into its sphere?

And can a nation in your sphere send alliance offers to other countries? If so, it seems like it negates the purpose to some extent.

Can a country be under multiple spheres of influence?

nice new concept ... does this work like guarantees , you need to reapply periodically?
and do you need to have some prestige to do so? -> is that doable with abysmal prestige?

A sphere of influence can normally only be reduced by force (peace option) or if the balance of power shifts enough.

I wonder what the last part means...
I also wonder if you will get a call to arms similar to guarantees when someone attacks your sphere...

And can a nation in your sphere send alliance offers to other countries? If so, it seems like it negates the purpose to some extent.

The way I read this they could but you would get a casus belli on the country that accepts such an offer, it'd be "meddling". Possibly even a casus belli on the country in your sphere(?)
I'd imagine the popup with the alliance request would contain a warning if the nation suggesting it was in someone's sphere.

Last edited:
I wonder what the last part means...
Maybe it means that if nation in your sphere of influence grows bigger than the needed size ratio between you and him, it invalidates SoI

Awesome... You can't say more with less... And it's a very good way of implementing prestige in game terms, better by far than current bonuses (don't misunderstand me, I like it now, but it's genial related to spheres of influence). I congratulate the development team for these ideas, and myself for voting 'yes' to a new EUIII expansion :D