• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If you really want to see offended people you can forget about polish-builder commments & see how my Welsh friends react when asked by tourists whereabouts in England Wales is.

I agree that a new saxon bride is called for. If no accidents occur to the current unlucky spouse then maybe John could start his own church to get a divorce. Is there a precedent for this?

Right, I forgot that your rulers are notoriously bad at marital relations. Can't he have her fall off a castle and marry another, more comely and warm-hearted, Saxon lady?

Well, John's in enough trouble with the church as it is, but that's a tempting solution....

Phew, soon you're going to say that that movie with Clive Owen wasn't entirely factual either.

Wait, they made that? It wasn't just a horrible dream? :p

Statswise he might very well suck, but he has conquered at least a small chunk of the British isles, shouldn't that count for something? Even if he is a naive dreamer with no understanding of the concept of money and the cost of things like projecting your power halfway round the world.

Good to see he has at least one fan. I just think that Arthur reborn might be a little too far. ;)

So hello.

I have finally gotten the courage to read through the entirety of your AAR in one setting, and I am amazed.

I'm similarly amazed. Well done! I'm up to 80,000 words so far, I think!

While utilizing a really well-established format (lots of screenies), you still manage to create a fascinating, and, if one's heart is generous, somewhat believable, epic tale. The marriage between the beautiful showcasing of a great game, and your knowledge of the period and attention to detail, is (unlike the marriages of so many of your monarchs), a happy one.

The chroniclers' voices come across strongly and distinctly, while the letter exchanges show us a somewhat more real, more modern, almost, vision of the lords of the time, the same effect one can sometimes get when reading the examples of correspondence between, say, Novgorodian merchants, or English commanders during the 100 years' war.

I also really liked the occasional overlaps with my own CK experience.

Seeing Vladimir Monomach on the throne in Constantinople made me chuckle more than a little; your Monomachs, however, had the grace to vacate the purple, probably to Vesimir's immense relief. That kind of thing absolutely ends up with Russians in Greece.

The travails of the Kingdom of Jerusalem, its unfortunate struggle with other crusaders, the convenient conquests of breakaway sheikdoms, the terrible civil wars, the sneaky, greedy Byzantine liege lords, the horrid Knights usurping your best ports - all very, very famililar. The loss of the native culture and the acquisition of the Greek, likewise. Rurikovich or Aethling, the damn Greeks always win in the end. I blame Cyprus; their influence is unavoidable.

I liked the three-way split; noble power and proto-republicanism of the kind where your count gets to vote, always seems to lead that way. I greatly appreciated the decision to play through all three of the daughter kingdoms; it's impolite to ignore the side branches.

I felt for poor Theodoros I; very much. He never had the chance to prove himself starting from an even field. By the time he took over, the Kingdom was already unstable, so any comparison to his ancestors is unfair. At the very least, he didn't die at another Hastings, but instead lived through and left, for once in your dynsaty's story, a healthy nest of descendants.

Finally, the return home, to England. It is imperative that the hero return to the origin, the source of his adventures; and I sense foreboding as John tries to maintain control over faraway England, while letting his grasp on much richer Jerusalem slip away. But I also appreciate that you were both true to the game and adult about the storytelling; it did not turn out to be an easy success; it must have been very termpting to describe it that way.

I apologise for the long, long response (although that's probably my thoughts on 15 whole pages, all condensed) - but even among the excellent offerings one can find in the CK section, yours stands out.

Thank you for writing it.

Thank you for the response! It's always nice to get such great detailed feedback. I need to work on giving more myself, instead of lurking in the AARs of others! I'm glad the chroniclers' voices are remaining distinct; I like to think it helps give the AAR a bit of variety and keep things interesting. I've also tried to report as accurately as possible my defeats as well as my victories. Personally, CK can get dull very quickly if your conquests go too easily, so I've tried to roleplay the monarchs, with some... interesting results. The challenge of making CK events historically plausible and trying to explain them as a chronicler might has certainly kept me occupied as well. Thank you for reading and I'll be sure to check out your own tale soon.

Weren't the Welsh the first english?

Well, that statement makes my head hurt a little with its paradoxical nature. :) I guess the 'Welsh' were the first people in what is now England, but since 'Welsh' is a Saxon word meaning foreigner, they can't really be the first 'English' in any real sense. The early 'historical' Arthur seems to have been a Briton/Welshman fighting the Saxons/English, but somehow the mediaeval English kings were quick to appropriate him for themselves.

If you really want to see offended people you can forget about polish-builder commments & see how my Welsh friends react when asked by tourists whereabouts in England Wales is.

I agree that a new saxon bride is called for. If no accidents occur to the current unlucky spouse then maybe John could start his own church to get a divorce. Is there a precedent for this?

Indeed. The same thing works for Scottish people too.
I think our adventurous King has enough to be getting on with for now without the Pope on his case as well ;)

Chapter 62 – The Second Settlement – 1201

Chapter 62 – The Second Settlement

46963-004-B1CF4A0A.jpg

Mosaic from the Great Mosque, Damascus, 8th century (?)

From Wilfred of Acre’s Tripartite History

With King John's continued absence from Jerusalem, his poor choice of regent, his brother Basil, became an ever-more-pressing issue. Andronicus of Sinai had already sworn to attend no further sessions of the Jerusalem witangamot, declaring that Prince Basil was not only incompetent, but also unwilling to consult with the witan, as the provisions within the Megalos Cartes demanded. Moreover, the war against the Emir of Mosul had highlighted the discontent among the other members.

ScreenSave76.jpg

The single most powerful duke within the witan was Heraclius of Aleppo, but even he was unable to exert much influence over the regent, who continued to reign in an autocratic manner. Nevertheless, the duke, a loyal friend of the absent King John, was unwilling to resort to arms against Prince Basil, despite the wishes of some of the earls in the witan that he would do so. And so whenever the witan was gathered in Jerusalem, it resolved nothing; hampered as it was by the absence of one of its dukes, and the opposition that existed between the earls and the prince.

This situation may have continued for many years, since King John was disinterested in the affairs in Judea, and Prince Basil was content to rule without the witan’s assistance. Yet the other English Kings were greatly troubled by the confusion in Jerusalem, and were disturbed when, in the course of the recent war, the armies of Jerusalem were disunited and quarrelsome, and contributed little to the struggle against the Emir’s forces.

ScreenSave85.jpg

Therefore they wrote many times to their brother John, and urged him to exert his influence upon the younger Basil, and insist that he resolve his quarrel with the earls in Jerusalem and Egypt. But for some time these pleas went unheaded, as the King was occupied elsewhere. It was not until Eastertide, in the year 1201, that the faraway John acted upon their requests, and agreed that something must be done about the behaviour of their brother Basil. Through their correspondence, they resolved that the only solution was to strip Basil of his powers as regent, and to that end, a Grand Witangamot was called for the feast of Saint Mark the Evangelist, that is, the twenty-fifth day of April of that year.

Both King David and King Romanus attended the Grand Witangamot which was to be held, for the first time, in the city of Damascus, wherein resided King Romanus. A great many of the Dukes, earls and bishops of the land also came. Though King John could not attend in person, he was represented by the aging Patriarch of Jerusalem, Archbishop Stephen, who chaired the session. The meeting was held within the cathedral of St Baldred and St John. This building had once housed the Great Mosque of the infidels, but had been restored to its original purpose by King Saelred, who also chose to honour the memory of his saintly father. The relics of St John the Baptist remain within the shrine, even to this day.

Immediately following the prayers to open the session , the Patriarch rose to his feet, and put to the witan that Prince Basil be stripped of his powers and authority to rule over the Jerusalem Witan in place of his absent brother, the King. The prince, who was himself present in the church, was greatly surprised and angered at this proclamation, and spoke strongly against what he saw as an injust and unnecessary action against him. Yet so thoroughly was he disliked, even by his own bondsmen, the no-one rose to defend him, and the motion to remove him from his position was approved nearly unanimously.

The second question to be put to the Witan was more troublesome. For now that there was no regent in Jerusalem, some replacement had to be found. The only living brother of the three Kings was Zeno, Duke of Baghdad, and he was known to be of unsound mind, having suffered a debilitating illness some years earlier. Men even whispered that he had slain his eldest son.

ScreenSave116.jpg

Moreover, none of the children of the Theodorlings were old enough to assume regnal powers. Bishop Stephan, whom many would have accepted as ruler of the city and as chair of its witan, declined to serve in such a capacity, citing his advancing age and unwillingness to re-engage with temporal matters. Heraclius of Aleppo was desirous of seeing himself as ruler of the City, but the other Kings feared his ambition and military strength. If any man was to be chosen as regent, he must have the authority to contain the ambitions of a man such as Duke Heraclius.

In the face of such a conundrum, it was proposed that the witan in Jerusalem be temporarily suspended, and that the earls would be instead enrolled in the membership of either the Syrian or Arabian gatherings. King John, engrossed as he was in campaigning in England, was content with this solution, as it freed him from responsibilities in Judea. Moreover, many of the earls, tired of the standoff of the past six years, agreed to this arrangement rather than face the possibility of another ineffectual regent.

It was originally agreed that the earls should be allowed to chose for themselves to which witan they wished to belong, but it was soon clear to King David that his younger brother, perhaps due to his victories in the recent war, was much more popular than he. In fact, somewhat to the surprise of everyone, Duke Ølver of Ascalon, who had for many years, following in the footsteps of his father, eschewed the authority of the English Kings, was in attendance at this meeting, and was among the first to pledge his fealty to King Romanus. King David therefore feared for his own position and authority and insisted that, with the exception of those who had already pledged themselves to him, that Romanus accept the loyalty of only those earls who resided north of Galilee. The earls of Egypt and Crete, therefore, entered into the Arabian Witan.

Finally, the Patriarch announced, on behalf of King John, that the eldest of the Theodorlings, being without a son and heir, wished for his successor to be chosen in the traditional manner, from within his extended family by the consent of the grand witan. It was obvious to all that the King intended his conquests in England to be passed on to one of his brothers, and not to fall into the hands of the Normans once more. Yet unwilling to choose between them, and wishing to avoid the tumult of the division of the realm which had happened on the death of their father, King John placed the future choice in the hands of the earls, as had been traditional for the English Kings of Old.

ScreenSave90.jpg
ScreenSave91.jpg

In such a way, the fate of the Jerusalem Witan was decided by words and by compromise. This was much different from the armed struggles that had decided the fate of the realm in the days of King Theodorus, but there were still those who were not happy with the decision, and resorted to violence. Duke Heraclius was once such man. He had secretly harboured the desire to rule in the City of Jerusalem for many years, firstly daring to dream of ascending the throne during the civil strife which had plagued King Theodorus, and more recently as regent for the absent King John. But the settlement agreed upon in Damascus robbed him of this possibility, and in his frustration, he refused to pay homage to either king. Unwilling to allow such disobedience, King Romanus therefore sought his loyalty by force of arms, and laid siege to his many fortresses in northern Syria. Though they were well-provisioned, the King was patient and unmoveable, and the Duke was forced to surrender. Wishing to show clemency, Romanus allowed the Duke to retain many of his estates, and seized as punishment only the city of Hama.

ScreenSave110.jpg

Meantime, Prince Basil, unwilling to accept his loss of status, so soon after he had been lifted from obscurity by King John, refused to allow the agents of King David into Jerusalem, and the King was only able to enter the City after a battle outside its walls with the armsmen of the Prince. Despite this, King David was apt to show mercy on his half-brother, and in exchange for taking his children as hostages, did allow the Prince to continue to govern the city and its environs. Just as the Grand Witan was to be Bishop Stephen’s last great act as Patriarch of Jerusalem, so this also marked a decline in the importance of the City itself, for it was no longer to be the residence of King, nor even of a regent, but only one among many important cities of the English Kingdoms.

ScreenSave105.jpg
ScreenSave106.jpg

1201map.jpg

And...Jerusalem gets partitioned.

I would not have expected it to happen this soon, to be honest. I thought they might muddle through another generation.

Will there be now a flight of former Jerusalem English and others of the displaced nobility and functionaries, to England proper?

I just caught up with this and I gotta say, I'm really enjoying it. Also, Basil is a jerk, he'll just betray Romanos. You should just kill him; after all, as anyone who's played CK long enough will tell you, assassins are always the answer.

assassins are always the answer.

To the question: What never works and will completely screw you over?
As you can probably tell, I've never had luck with assassins. In fact, the AI immediately assassinates one of my people in revenge.

So who gets the title "King of Jerusalem"? And what were the effects of each of those choices for the "dynasty ending" event? The wife one probably has a bastard born, but what are the others?

>>And what's with the weird religious laws? There's only 3, they have very wide spacing, and one of them, "cognatic primogeniture" seems more like a succession law.

Last edited:
So many comments, and so quickly! It would be churlish of me not to reply!

And...Jerusalem gets partitioned.

I would not have expected it to happen this soon, to be honest. I thought they might muddle through another generation.

Will there be now a flight of former Jerusalem English and others of the displaced nobility and functionaries, to England proper?

Well, technically the kingdom has not been dissolved, merely 'suspended' for a time. The threat of the united Turkish sultanate on their border no doubt sharpened the minds of David and Romanus.
I hadn't thought about the flight of the former palace aides, but I like the idea.

Where did you get that event?

It's part of the Deus Vult Improvement Pack (DVIP). It adds a bunch of new events, which mostly increase realism as well as adding some flavour. It also makes the starting scenarios more realistic. I started playing with it around the start of Theodorus' reign.

I just caught up with this and I gotta say, I'm really enjoying it. Also, Basil is a jerk, he'll just betray Romanos. You should just kill him; after all, as anyone who's played CK long enough will tell you, assassins are always the answer.

Glad to see you made it all the way through! I've been playing with a small dynasty for long enough now that I'm wary of assassinating anyone of my bloodline. Then again, if he continues to make himself a nuisance...

To the question: What never works and will completely screw you over?
As you can probably tell, I've never had luck with assassins. In fact, the AI immediately assassinates one of my people in revenge.

So who gets the title "King of Jerusalem"? And what were the effects of each of those choices for the "dynasty ending" event? The wife one probably has a bastard born, but what are the others?

>>And what's with the weird religious laws? There's only 3, they have very wide spacing, and one of them, "cognatic primogeniture" seems more like a succession law.

Ah, but it counts as a win if you kill their only heir so you can inherit, and they only kill your second son! :p
John is still the titular King of Jerusalem. The settlement is my rationalisation of a series of rebellions and re-vassilisations of John's former vassals in Judea and Egypt, so what you saw in the update is a slimmed-down version.
As above, the event is from DVIP. The other choices, IIRC, are to gain fertility at the cost of piety and health (black magic), to do the same but with less risk and less gain (aphrodisiac), to increase your wife's fertility at the cost of prestige (getting her to sleep with another). It is possible in CK to have the bastard child of a female, but not in this event.
The religious laws are also the result of the switch to DVIP. It allows for cognatic primogeniture as an inheritance option (females can inherit if no males survive) but to fit it on the interface, you lose the option to implement monastic supremacy or church supremacy as laws

The borders look nearly pretty. :D
An achievement in CK.

Nearly. To be fair, some of that is simplified for the sake of a pretty map, but the AI has done a relatively good job.

Ok I'm only up to Chapter 25 of your AAR so far but I just had to post to let you know I've ordered CK + DV from Amazon on the back of your story. I did own CK ages ago before Deus Vult was released but I think I had the wrong idea. I didn't relly get into it and I think now that was because I was treating it too much like EU rather than as a Dynasty building game. Anyway just wanted to say great AAR... looking forward to reading the rest

Hmmm.....

I'm playing with Before the Conquest + Many minor mods + That even pack from some italian forum. Something starting with B.

So are you saying taking the db folder from DVIP and editing it so that it works with my game is worth it? The events are good? How much of them are there?

Sorry for the slight off-top.

This is excellent stuff. :) Stayed up until about 1 AM last night to read it, and managed to catch up to the end today. An intriguing concept (as the various tales of Saxon survival tend to be - vide JM's gobsmackingly glorious O Lord Our God Arise!) that's further spiced up by the Byzantine complexity of political, cultural and religious relations in the Atheling kingdoms. I've stuck it in my sig (as I do with AARs I like) and will be reading and, gods willing, commenting in the future. Keep up the good work!

Is this now dead?
shame......

Heh.

Not really. Allmy is currently playing a succesion game on the forums. That means he's writing three AARs, playing three games + he's going through some hard time as he said in the succesion game thread.

So no. I'm 99% sure it's not dead. You can call it a hiatus if you want. ;)

Heh.

Not really. Allmy is currently playing a succesion game on the forums. That means he's writing three AARs, playing three games + he's going through some hard time as he said in the succesion game thread.

So no. I'm 99% sure it's not dead. You can call it a hiatus if you want. ;)

Indeed, a short haitus while I deal with the stress of managing the AARlanders in the succession game! :)
It'll certainly be a little while, but I'll try to have an update for this in a week or two.

Bah! We want more English! :) Still reading, often lurking, not commenting enough. Once John went to England, this day was coming quickly. So by salic consanguinity, who is the leading claimant for John's throne on his death?

It took about a week of reading off and on, but I'm finally caught up with this spectacular tale. I've never been so glad of my iPhone - didn't even have to stop reading to commute.

The three part kingdom was a fascinating twist (that I wouldn't have seen coming if I hadn't read the table of contents!) and I'm surprised and impressed by the progress back in England. The fact that England was already in such turmoil really gives me hope that the unthinkable could happen and King John could fully restore his family to the throne.

Anyway, just wanted to finally stop lurking and offer congrats on a wonderful read. Can't wait for the next installment!