• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And what lands do you now control in the game?
How is the division? :rolleyes:

All will be revealed in the next update. There's a strange bug in the game, which means that the new Kings of Arabia and Syria don't have any vassals, so I had to mod it a little. The three kingdoms together strech from the Nile Delta to the Euphrates and from Mecca to Edessa. But there are still a few earls who are independent, in Jaffa, Galilee, Aleppo and Crete (which Theodorus inherited from his grandfather).

Poor Theodoros. I can't say as I'm sorry that he's off the throne, but he would have been a decent village priest somewhere. I expect being dragged out in public and forced to referee the witan at the end probably killed him all by itself. Good characterization of the Fisher King there, incidentally. I'd be surprised if the Kingdom of the English doesn't remember him that way - as the Fisher King, whose kingdom was wounded as he himself was.

Poor Theodoros. I can't say as I'm sorry that he's off the throne, but he would have been a decent village priest somewhere. I expect being dragged out in public and forced to referee the witan at the end probably killed him all by itself. Good characterization of the Fisher King there, incidentally. I'd be surprised if the Kingdom of the English doesn't remember him that way - as the Fisher King, whose kingdom was wounded as he himself was.

Theodorus, the Fisher King, I like that. Mind if I use it? :) I think you're probably right, he was never cut out for the throne, at least not by the time the squabbling nobility had raised him from the age of seven. Now it's left to his sons to rebuild the kingdom and re-assert royal control.

EDIT: I should add here that I have switched to using the Deus Vult Improvements Pack. It contains lots of nice new events, as well as some changes to the scenario setups in the beginning of the game. You may notice some changes to events, all of which, I think, are for the better.

Last edited:
Chapter 52 – The Reign of John I, part 1

Chapter 52 – The Reign of John I, part 1

council-of-acre-and-the-siege-of-da.jpg

The Affairs of the Jerusalem Witan, 1181 - 4

From Wilfred of Acre’s Tripartite History

The New Order

I have recorded the way in which the Christmas Witan of 1180 resulted in the fracture of the Kingdom of the English into three parts, each governed by a local witan, and each presided over by a son of King Theodorus. Now, the division of the Kingdom ran as follows. Under the Jerusalem Witan were the following areas: the Duchy of Jordan, the Duchy of Jaffa, the Duchy of the Sinai, the Bishopric of Beirut, as well as the Earldoms of the Delta and the Earldom of Pelusia in Egypt. The cities of Hebron and Acre were regarded by the Witan as being under their authority also, though in reality the Knights of St John and the Knights of the Temple governed them as their own. Under the Syrian Witan were the following areas: the Duchy of Edessa, the Duchy of Aleppo, the Duchy of Tripoli, the Duchy of Damascus and the Duchy of Syria. Under the Arabian Witan were the following areas: the Bishopric of Medina, the Duchy of Petra, the Duchy of Arabia and the Duchy of Baghdad.

1181_mapcopy.jpg

After the death of King Theodorus, all the earls of the kingdom were therefore clear and steadfast in their duty, and there was no need to call together the Witan to elect a king, as was customary in this situation. Instead, each of the sons of Theodorus were borne from Jerusalem to Bethlehem, and anointed together by Archbishop Stephan. Prince John, as the eldest was proclaimed as King of the English in Jerusalem, just as his father, grandfather and great-grandfather had been before him. Prince David, as the next eldest, was anointed as King of the English in Arabia, and Prince Romanus, the youngest of the King’s sons, was anointed as King of the English in Syria. In this way the Kingdom was whole and yet divided. Like the Father, Son and Holy Ghost, the Kingdom of the English was of one substance, one mind, and indivisible despite its three aspects.

1181_religions_v2copy.jpg

Now, King John, as the eldest of the brothers, held the senior position within the trinity and, at least in theory, could summon the Grand Witan of all the earls if a major decision needed to be made. But for the everyday activities of his inheritance, his affairs were directed only by the earls present within the Jerusalem Witan. At the time of the coronation, there was a clear discrepancy in the earls present to make homage unto the Kings. Ølver Morcarson, son of the infamous traitor of King Theodorus’ reign was absent at the occasion, as was the Bishop of Beirut, whose status under the law was yet to be resolved. The Holy Father Anastasius had previously granted the diocese autonomy from the crown, and the new incumbent of the see showed no desire to change this situation. Because of these two detractions, the territory under the authority of King John was much diminished from what it should have been, and the most valuable sea-ports of the Levant, at Jaffa, Acre, Tyre and Beirut, paid no dues to the treasury.

ScreenSave1.jpg

ScreenSave9.jpg

The Old Guard are Pushed into Retirement

The other consequence of the absence of these powerful men from the Jerusalem Witan was that the power rested almost entirely within the hands of Duke Edmund of Jordan. In effect, it was he who acted as regent for the young king in these first few years. The Lady Godfigu, so long a powerful figure in the court, saw her influence wane in this time, as Duke Edmund sought to undermine her by promoting Greeks and local notables to positions of authority. In particular, several Arabs and Turks who had been baptised in the faith were, at this time, entrusted with powerful positions. Indeed, although the Lady resisted this transfer of authority, she was without allies, and her attempts were futile. This caused her much distress, and before long her mind, it seemed, grew weak with the frustration at her situation, and what advice she did offer was often incoherent or possessed of little sense.

ScreenSave29.jpg

The priority of the Duke and his advisors was not only to control the young King completely, but also to recover those lands lost by the King’s father, most notably in Galilee and Jaffa. The first progress towards this goal was made early in the spring of the first year of the King’s reign, when representatives from the island of Crete, which had been ruled by King John’s great-grandfather, (the father of Alexia, mother of Theodorus), and was his by right of inheritance, came to the court at Jerusalem, and begged assistance from the crown. The people of Crete feared the influence of the Greek Emperor, for those on the Eastern part of the isle followed the Roman rite, while the Western part followed the Greek rite. It was these Eastern Cretans who came to King John, and while this was a small gain, it was nonetheless a triumph for the new regime.

ScreenSave6.jpg

And what of Archbishop Stephan during this time? With his humiliation at the previous witangemot, the good bishop’s influence declined, along with that of the Lady Godfigu, but he nonetheless continued to serve the new king as faithfully as he had his father. In fact, during this period, in which he ceased to involve himself so fully with politics, and devoted his life to the calling of the church, many thought him an excellent example of faith and dedication to the Lord.

ScreenSave10.jpg

The final champion of the old order, the dowager Queen Aethelflaed, was, like the Lady and the Archbishop, pushed aside by the Duke’s new advisors. Though she sought repeatedly to gain some sort of recognition from the Witan of her status as Queen, they refused to grant her any special privileges, such as the separate palace once occupied by Queen Alexia, or even anything as simple as a liveried guard for her personal use. Upset and frustrated at this lack of recognition, the Queen did send herself into retirement, and departed from the city, to take up residence in the city of Tyre, some miles to the north, whence she took no further part in the politics of the Kingdom. And thus, in a matter of a few months, the wily Duke had managed to make himself the sole power in Jerusalem, and the sole controller of the King.

ScreenSave13.jpg

Meantime, his counterpart in Baghdad, Duke Thurcytel, had been increasing his own authority by making war against the idolaters to the East, and did lead an expedition to capture the city of Ilam, which had broken away from the authority of the Turks. This marked the first time that an English fyrd had crossed the River Tigris, and made war against the people on its East bank.

ScreenSave11.jpg

Events Abroad at this Time

In the Year of Our Lord 1182, glad tidings reached the shores of the Kingdom. For in England, the most hated foe of our people, Henry the Norman, did perish from this world. He had been in unlawful possession of the Throne of King Edgar for some twenty-nine years, longer than any of his wicked forefathers, and had visited Jerusalem when King John’s grandfather Saelred had only recently ascended to the throne. He was forty-five summers old at his death. Through his actions the Kingdom of the English had been divided into three parts, but it seemed that even His Holiness the Pope took umbrage to the Norman’s arrogance, for he died excommunicate from the Grace of God, and his soul was thus barred from entry to the Kingdom of Heaven. His equally-wicked brother William did succeed to his stolen crown, the fourth of four brothers to do so since the death of their father Roger.

ScreenSave16.jpg

The following year, the 1183rd since Our Lord’s incarnation, Pope Anastasius also passed from the Earth, and he made his way into Heaven. He had occupied the Holy See for some twenty-two years, longer than any man since Alexander II, some one hundred years before. God selected as his replacement a Teuton, the Bishop of Winchester, who henceforth was known by the name Adrianus. He was the fourth Bishop of Rome to bear that name.

ScreenSave21.jpg

In the year after that, eleven hundred and eighty-four, Pope Adrianus himself was withdrawn from this realm, and taken to God. In his place, the Bishop of Bourbon, a Flemming, was chosen for the seat of St Peter. He was henceforth known as Alexander, the third Holy Father to bear that name.

ScreenSave45.jpg

The King Comes of Age

Although the Duke’s primary aim in appointing new advisors had been to diminish the influence of the old King’s courtiers, the promotion of men not usually considered for positions of appointment, especially Arabs and Turks, did allow the most capable men to fill the ranks of the treasury and chancellery. In addition, the King himself, though not yet in a position to make decisions for himself without the consent of the Witan (as embodied by Duke Edmund), was a keen observer of the workings of the court, and learnt much from these educated men of foreign origins.

ScreenSave30.jpg
ScreenSave22.jpg

As the King matured, and grew into his station, he also showed himself to be a shrewd judge of character, as well as an affable figure. His leisure time was often spent in the royal estates of Syria, engaging in hunts with many of his neighbours, while the government of the realm continued in the hands of others. At home, he endeared himself to the people with generous gifts of alms to the poor and donations of gold to the many churches of the city.
Yet, as the King’s majority approached, even Duke Edmund could not ignore the fact that the authority of the Witan was due to be reduced. At the Duke’s insistence, the other members of the Witan refused to declare the King of age any sooner than his sixteenth birthday, though many at court were already impressed with his ability, but there was no way for the Duke to extend his de facto regency any further. From the time of his fifteenth year, King John took to chairing meetings of the Witan himself, and was not hesitant in offering his opinions. The Duke thus feared that his own influence was to be overshadowed by that of the King, and sought any way to extend his position of power.

ScreenSave36.jpg

ScreenSave15.jpg

The Duke had sired no sons, but only three daughters, of which only one was still living, her name being Ealdgyth. Ealdgyth had been married for some years to a Northman, the son of a powerful Duke of those people. Nevertheless, Duke Edmund desired to see her married to the King, and thus, he hoped, she would promote his interests with the monarch. When the Holy Father was petitioned for an annulment of the marriage, this was refused, since there was no good grounds for doing so. The lady had, after all, borne two children by her new husband. So the Duke resorted to subterfuge, and, not long before the King’s sixteenth birthday, the young Norse Earl was found dead in his chambers, and while nothing could be proven, many openly suspected Duke Edmund’s hand in the matter.

ScreenSave35.jpg

The young King and the widowed lady were married in unseemly haste, on the 3rd day of April, the day of King John’s majority, and the same day one hundred and fifty-one years previously, upon which King Edward had been anointed King of the English. The Duke’s reputation was not enhanced further when the younger of the new Queen’s sons was found dead only a few days after the wedding feast (though of course infants are prone to such misfortunes naturally).

ScreenSave38.jpg

ScreenSave40.jpg

Theodorus, the Fisher King, I like that. Mind if I use it? :) I think you're probably right, he was never cut out for the throne, at least not by the time the squabbling nobility had raised him from the age of seven. Now it's left to his sons to rebuild the kingdom and re-assert royal control.

EDIT: I should add here that I have switched to using the Deus Vult Improvements Pack. It contains lots of nice new events, as well as some changes to the scenario setups in the beginning of the game. You may notice some changes to events, all of which, I think, are for the better.

Go right ahead and use Theodoros the Fisher King, or for that matter, Theodoros of the Stigmata from earlier. That's half the reason for putting them out there!

Young children never live long, unless you give them resistance against poisoned wine. :p

So many gaps in the Medieval education system ;)

Damn - I just catch up and you post ANOTHER update...

Well done though - cracking read!

Glad you're enjoying it! For the rest of you who are struggling with the speed of updates, you'll be relieved to know that this week I'm moving house, so I may be out of commission for a week or so.

I've caught up again, and must say that it's a brilliant story so far.
A shame about the men in the family having had to suffer so much though, even if the women seem to be getting better, smarter and kinder (which, perversely enough, coincides with the men deteriorating into incompetent adulterers).

Great AAR. Really enjoying it.

I'm sorry to refer to the hated Normans, but the division of the kingdom has a 'sons of Henry II' feel about it. Is John going to be a Lionheart or a Lackland?

I've caught up again, and must say that it's a brilliant story so far.
A shame about the men in the family having had to suffer so much though, even if the women seem to be getting better, smarter and kinder (which, perversely enough, coincides with the men deteriorating into incompetent adulterers).

I'm glad you're enjoying the story. I worry that the tragedy of the Athelings might have something to do with my own psychology. :p I am trying hard to roleplay my monarchs though, I'm hoping that someday soon we'll have someone worthy of being a Baldred II. And I'll try being kinder on the women, but the game just keep throwing me adulterers! :wacko: In any case, misogyny can only help to give the chronicle the air of Medieval authenticity!

Great AAR. Really enjoying it.

I'm sorry to refer to the hated Normans, but the division of the kingdom has a 'sons of Henry II' feel about it. Is John going to be a Lionheart or a Lackland?

The Norman succession has been interesting. I've been keeping my eye on them and it seems that the crusades to both Iberia and Alexandria are proving to be the death of the traitors. Here is the list of 'kings' so far:

William I, de Normandie 1066 – 1074
Robert I, 1074 - 1101 (son of William)
Guy I, 1101 – 1108 (son of Robert)
Roger I, 1108 – 1116 (brother of Guy)
Tancred I, 1116 – 1145 (son of Roger)
Asclettin I, 1145 – 1152 (brother of Tancred)
Henry I, 1152 – 1181 (brother of Asclettin)
William II, 1181 – (brother of Henry)

Both Tancred and Asclettin died in Egypt. For a while Ghazi, the converted count of Pelusia, and son of the Egyptian Sultan, was married to Henry's daughter. Had they produced a son, he would have been King of England and Egypt :eek:

Updates will follow, but infrequently while I continue unpacking in my new house.

The Reign of David I, part 1

The Reign of David I, part 1

1185-8

2023136250104391629S600x600Q85.jpg

The Affairs of the Arabian Witan

From Wilfred of Acre’s Tripartite History

The State of Arabia

Having chronicled the events during the childhood of King John, it now falls to me to describe the occurrences of the court in Arabia, under the authority of his brother, the King David. Unlike the Jerusalem Witan, which was dominated by the power of Duke Edmund of Jordan, the Kingdom in Arabia was governed equally by the realm’s four powerful earls.

ScreenSave9.jpg

Albrecht of Arabia and Wiglaf of Petra, as younger and more amiable rulers, were generally overshadowed by the two senior members of the Witan, namely Bishop Ludwig of Medina, and Duke Thurcytel of Baghdad. It was well known among the earls that Earl Thurcytel was possessed of a high opinion of himself, and believed that he was preeminent among the English lords. Thus he sought to dominate both the young king, and the other members of the Witan. In these aims, however, he was thwarted by the bishop of Medina. The prelate had opposed King Theodorus vigorously when he imposed upon the traditional rights of the church, and the elderly pontiff was similarly determined to resist the secular influence of the Duke. The result was that each decision taken within the Kingdom in Arabia was bitterly contested by both Thurcytel and Ludwig and fought out between them.

ScreenSave2.jpg

The young king’s secluded upbringing among the brothers of Our Lady of the Temple Mount had not prepared him for the realities of such a life, and he was somewhat reluctant to speak his mind, even as he began to attend the meetings of the Witan in person, upon reaching his twelfth year. The monarch’s tendency to favour firstly the Duke and then the Bishop, in an attempt to appease them both merely gained him a reputation for arbitrariness, and the inability to reason for himself. All the while the seed of bitterness against both men grew in his heart, and he nursed a desire to seize for himself the power once accorded to the English Kings.

ScreenSave1.jpg

The City of Baghdad

King David’s greatest asset lay in the city of Baghdad itself, wherein the royal court lay. Baghdad, at this time, was a prince among cities, though it had once been even greater. Only Constantinople, seat of the Emperor contained more souls, greater quantities of gold, and a more auspicious location. The city had once been home to the most wicked of Mohammadean kings, under which one thousand thousand heathens had lived there, but since its capture by the English under King Saelred in the year 1150, many infidels and Jews had left the city, despite both King Saelred and King Theodorus’ merciful efforts to show forgiveness and encourage them to embrace God’s word. Still, the city was rich in wealth, and greater than both Jerusalem and Damascus in its status within the Kingdom.

ScreenSave5.jpg

The Reeve of the City had ever been a loyal supporter of the crown, and in all things he was a loyal companion to King David, but in the year 1185 he fell ill and passed into the next life, in his place, the king appointed his own man, in the first major decision of his reign. The choice was not popular with the Witan, for the man chosen was one William Montgomery, a cousin of the dowager Queen, and a recent refugee from the King of the Normans. That this man was himself a Norman in his speech, customs and dress led to the objections of the Witan, as did his competence and influence with the young King. The most important of the new reeve’s decision was to reopen the House of Wisdom which had been closed some years before. The King and Reeve William hoped to reopen the House as a centre of universal Christian learning, in the same way as the schools at Bologna, and Paris.

ScreenSave3.jpg

Troubles Abroad

While these things were occurring in Baghdad, the neighbouring kingdoms were experiencing their own turmoils. William Montgomery was not the only man to be expelled from the Kingdom of the Normans, and the death of Henry had caused much upheaval in those lands. In particular, Arnoul, the Duke of Alexandria, a scion of the wicked family of the Norman Kings, had renounced his loyalty to the court in London, and pledged his fealty unto the King of the Franks.

Meantime, in Syria, the Witan of King Romanus was torn apart by conflict. For the youngest of the brothers found himself sited between the squabbles of several English Earls, the Dukes of Tripoli, Edessa and Damascus, and the two most powerful foreigners of the Kingdoms. Heraclius of Aleppo still refused to allow the King’s tax collectors into his lands, and to pay the scutage agreed upon by the Christmas Witan. Reza, the Duke of eastern Syria, while willing to participate in the governance of the realm, found himself discriminated against and marginalised by the other, English, earls. This state of affairs led to Earl Reza also withdrawing from the witan in the year 1185.

ScreenSave13.jpg

The Arrest of the Templars

The greatest event of this time was surely that which occurred in the month of October of that year. At this time, something unprecedented in the history of the English Kingdom in Jerusalem took place. Since the reign of King Aethelred, the pilgrim knights of the Order of St John, and of the Order of the Temple, had operated within the kingdom to help protect pilgrims and the holy sites of the kingdom. These visitors from overseas paid the knights handsomely for their services, and the brothers of the orders had thus grown rich and powerful. In fact, during the reign of King Theodorus, both orders had grown arrogant and over-mighty, and the grandmasters had sought to use their knights to influence the King’s mind. Yet they refused to be ruled by the writ of the monarch. In this way they sought the privileges of the earls, but none of the responsibilities.

The Frankish masters of the Knights of the Temple had been particularly active in the politics of King Theodorus. Firstly they had acted to defend him against the rebellious earls, but then in later years they had sought to cause confusion within the city of Jerusalem, and incite the populace against the King. Both the newly-married King John and his close confidant, Duke Edmond bore malice against the Templars for these interferences in the affairs of the Kingdom. Moreover, the Templars held many castles in and around the city of Hebron, which bordered both the King’s demesne and the Earl’s own estates. In the year 1185 therefore, on the Feast of the Blessed King Edward, King John gave a speech before the Jerusalem Witan to denounce the Knights of the Temple. To the assembled earls, he decried the decadence and worldly possessions of the supposedly impoverished brothers of the order, and argued that they had no need of such riches (the protection of pilgrims now being ensured by the King’s own reeves and bailiffs). As a further argument, he declared that the knights were harbouring heretics within their lands, and accused them of colluding with the Kings of the Egyptians and the Moors. It was indeed widely acknowledged that the knights had paid little attention to those priests within the city of Hebron who conducted mass in the Greek manner, and that Christ’s word was not widely acknowledged among the local peasants who were instead Mohammadeans.

ScreenSave15.jpg

Such justifications having been given, King John despatched men to order the arrest of the Grandmaster of the Templars to answer these charges. When the knight argued that only the Roman Holy Father could exert authority over the religious order, the King issued orders that all the property of the order within the kingdom be confiscated. The knights, brave even to the point of lunacy, armed themselves with sword and shield, and prepared to resist the King’s men with all their might. As a result then, the arrest of the Grandmaster and the confiscation of the Order’s property resembled a pitched battle in the streets of Hebron more than the apprehension of a criminal. All told, the Order mustered near to eight thousand knights and lay members, and many men lay dead in the city before the day was over. Nonetheless, the King’s men were victorious, and the remaining knights arrested or sent into exile. The Order’s houses in each of the three kingdoms were stripped of their riches, and in Damascus and Baghdad, as in Jerusalem, the people took to the streets to hurl abuse at the knights, who were widely seen as oppressors by the common burghers.

ScreenSave17.jpg

Though the Order itself was not dissolved (for this authority did indeed lie with the Holy Father in Rome), the knights were forbidden from owning property within the Kingdom, and its presence there was greatly diminished. While some knights fled to Alexandria, and the jurisdiction of the Norman King, the new Grandmaster confirmed the suspicions of the English Earls by seeking refuge with the heathen King of the Moors.

ScreenSave22.jpg

Duke Thurcytel’s Downfall

As these events were unfolding around the Sea of Galilee, the court of King David was full of rumours concerning the realm’s most powerful earl. Duke Thurcytel, as the talk of many men attested, was actively plotting against the young king, fearing the moment at which the King would reach his majority, for David was now 14 summers of age. The King began to receive reports, no doubt encouraged by Bishop Ludwig, that the Duke was unusually close to his neighbour, the Emir of Mosul. This man had long been an enemy of the English people, but Duke Thurcytel allowed Mohammadeans to pass freely through his estates and thus travel between Mosul and Baghdad. While some argued that these infidels were merchants and tradesmen, there was also fears that they were, in fact, agents of the Emir.

ScreenSave25.jpg

In the summer of the year 1187, therefore, King David issued a summons to the Duke, to bring him to answer the charges brought against him. But whether out of arrogance, or indeed from his inability to defend himself against such accusations, the Duke refused to appear before the King in trial. So the King, who had long harboured a dislike against the over-mighty Earl, with very little prompting, sought to arrest the Duke by force. The fyrd of Baghdad and the men of the other dukes’ domains fought Thurcytel’s men on the banks of the Euphrates and lay siege to the Duke’s castle at Karbala.

ScreenSave29.jpg

By Christmas-time, the Duke’s fortress had surrendered to the King’s men the Duke divested of his office. The King took this opportunity to humble the mighty Duke, and sent him into exile abroad. In his place he elevated a young man by the name of Zeno, a native of Baghdad, and rumoured by some to have been the result of a dalliance between King Theodorus and a local woman of low repute. Whatever the truth, the young man was elevated to the high position with the hope that he would owe his status soley to the generosity of King David.

ScreenSave37.jpg

King David’s Majority

The fall of Duke Thurcytel, a great man of the Kingdom, caused some shock among the other earls, and it was quickly followed by the death of Bishop Ludwig of Medina. In these two passings, King David lost the two greatest obstacles to his own exercise of power, and as he neared his majority, the King’s authority over the Arabian Witan increased. In the spring of 1188, the King even saw fit to dismiss his former ally, his cousin William who was Reeve of Baghdad. Though the King’s project to resurrect the House of Wisdom as a centre of Christian learning had begun to bear fruit, the Reeve’s behaviour against the non-Christian population, primarily the many Jewish moneylenders of the city, caused the King some consternation. William Montgomery acted harshly against the Jews and Mohammadeans, and extracted unjust taxes from them. This discouraged many from remaining in the city, and caused great discontent among all the inhabitants. Consequently, the former Reeve was relieved of his post, and sent into exile from the land.

ScreenSave11.jpg
ScreenSave41.jpg

Thus secure in his position, and virtually unchallenged by either the earls or civil authorities, the King reached his majority upon the first day of May in this year. A great ceremony to mark the occasion was held in the grand cathedral of Baghdad, once a shrine of the Mohammadeans, but now converted to the worship of God. And upon the same occasion the King was wed to a bride of his choosing, the oldest sister of Egfrith, the Duke of Damascus. In this choice, King David both gained a valuable ally in his new brother-in-law, but also avoided favouring any one of his four subject earls above the other. By the month of November the King and Queen were further blessed by the pregnancy of the Queen.

ScreenSave44.jpg

ScreenSave45.jpg

I'm switching between each of the three Kingdoms, partly so that I could manipulate each of the brothers' marriages, but also to give the situation a little bit of AI-induced randomness. Syria will be next.

I certainly never expected the Jerusalem AI to attack the Templars, for example.

Romance of Three Kingdoms? :rofl:

So now that I've looked that up, I think I'm somewhat flattered by the comparison. I'm not sure I can make 800,000 words though :p

I'm glad to see you ensconced in your new abode. I stumbled upon this AAR just as you left to move, so I got hooked (and then suffered ARRwithdrawal) all in the same day. Now I have TWO must-do's at the start of each day. Check both your AAR and Iain Wilson's Suenik AAR.

Thank you. :)

I've been reading this since 10am, just got done. Simply wonderful. Can't wait for the next updates.

How are things doing in other parts of the world? The Brittish Isles, Germany, Iberia, etc?