• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
In the year of my Gold, 1419, I was sitting in my home neath a tree stump. I was smoking my pipe and minding my own business, when my peace was broken by the sound of a dog's bark. Oh, hello. I have forgot to introduce myself. My name is Lucky... Lucky the Leprechaun, and it is on this day that my story begins...

There I was, trapped in my own home. The dog knew I was in there, and he wouldn't let me out. I desperately wanted to use my magic to escape, but as everyone knows, Leprechauns cannot use magic when they have been detected. So I could only wait until the dog left.

Seemingly an hour passed, and the dog remained barking at the door to my house. But at once the dog was silent, I heard the sounds of footsteps, and then a voice....

"Another rabbit? Good Dog". Said the voice of the man I could not see.

(more to follow later.) :)

I don't think I will continue this due to lack of interest. Only 11 views and no replies....

Captain,

Umm, 1 post is a little early to abandon an AAR. Also, it was the 4th weekend, many common posters/readers (like myself) were not here. I'd be interested in a good Irish reading over a bottle of Harp if you care to continue.

Originally posted by shawng1
Captain,

Umm, 1 post is a little early to abandon an AAR. Also, it was the 4th weekend, many common posters/readers (like myself) were not here. I'd be interested in a good Irish reading over a bottle of Harp if you care to continue.

Ok, this being my first AAR and all... :D I'll stick to it a little longer and see how people respond. ;)

As I was hunting in the forest I heard one of my dogs barking in the distance. I rushed to see what all the commotion was all about. The dog was barking at a decaying tree stump. Thinking it was another rabbit, I prepared my bow and moved in to investigate....

Upon closer examination I realized that there was a small door at the base of the stump. Thinking my mind had gotten the better of me, or perhaps someone was playing a joke on me, I opened the door.

It was dark inside, and I could not see anything. Though, I detected a faint smell of pipe smoke. I brought out my lantern and my flint, and after managing to ignite the lamp, I gazed inside...

What I seen was nothing short of amazing. Inside there was a small bed neatly made, with a blanket made of fine wool. In front of the door there was a rug, and there was even a small fireplace, which was filled with soot that had long since burnt out. In front of the fireplace, there sat a rocking chair, and inside that chair say a small man.

"Top of the morning to ya!" Said the small man. I could not find the courage to reply, and the mood of the small man seemed to become irritated by my lack of response. Finally he spoke again. "Why don't you come on in for a smoke?" I don't know how I managed to, but I found myself laughing at this ridiculous statement, after all, the doorway was only as large as my ankle.

"Oh, you think it's funny do ya?" Said the small man, and at that moment I found myself standing right in front of the small man, who was now no smaller than I....

To be continued.... (If it is popular enough anyway... :p )

Don't abandon a story of Leprechauns and little people. :)

Just because there aren't too many posters, doesn't mean that the AAR isn't read.

Before I continue any further, I would like to have some names for the characters. I already have one for the Leprechaun, but I need a name for the hunter character, and also I need a female name.

I would like for both names to be Gaelic names. I don't speak Gaelic myself, so perhaps someone could help me on this? :)

Try this site of names courtesy a Google search for names + gaelic.

Do keep writing, Capt. Krunch. It will take time to gain a larger audience as many people wait until there is a full page or more in a new AAR start (just to make sure it's going somewhere) and it is summer-time so it may take people a little longer to get around to reading things...

Sounds like and interesting start to the AAR. Looking forward to seeing where you plan to go with it.

Originally posted by MrT
Try this site of names courtesy a Google search for names + gaelic.

Do keep writing, Capt. Krunch. It will take time to gain a larger audience as many people wait until there is a full page or more in a new AAR start (just to make sure it's going somewhere) and it is summer-time so it may take people a little longer to get around to reading things...

Sounds like and interesting start to the AAR. Looking forward to seeing where you plan to go with it.
And make sure you network yourself, CK, by visiting other AARs and posting comments. You'll generally find they will respond in kind.

Don't stop now.

Thanks everyone. I'll definitely keep this one going. :)

As you may have noticed, I don't write alot at one time. But I hope to make up for that by updating often. So stay tuned...

"Who.... Whooo are you?" I somehow managed to ask. At this, the small man's jolly expression seemed to become more fierce, and he rose from his chair. In the dim light of my lantern, the small man cast a large shadow against the wall, as he advanced towards me.

"Who am I? Who am I?! Why, I'll tell you who I am, but first I'll tell you who you are!" said the small man in response to my question. I began to slowly back away, but the small man continued to advance. At my current size, he now stood slightly taller. Once my back touched the wall, I had nowhere left to retreat to, and the small man now stood in front of me....

He took one last puff of his pipe, and then proceeded to dump it's contents upon my head. "Your name is Sooty." laughed the small man. Enraged by this insult, I made my fist ready and swung at the small man. But my fist found only air, for the small man had disappeared...

Laughter filled the house, though it's source could not be determined. Rubbing the soot from my eyes, I saw the small man sitting in his rocking chair, puffing on his pipe. The jolly expression having returned to his face, as though nothing had happened. "Now that we've established that your name is Sooty, I will tell you mine. My name is Lucky, Lucky the Leprechaun, and this is my home".

"My name is not Sooty, you freak of nature!" I exclaimed angrily. "My name is Laisrean, son of Larkin, and you are trespassing on the clan's hunting grounds." And with that, I drew forth my hunting knife and prepared to capture the trespassing midget. However, my knife disappeared, and that moment was replaced by a flask, which the small man took from me.

"Thank you kindly for the whiskey" Laughed the Leprechaun, as he drank. He returned the flask to me and took a long puff on his pipe. He sat there for a long while, as if in quiet contemplation. Finally, he set down his pipe and spoke.

"Ahh, it seems I have been away for too long. What has this land come to?" Asked the Leprechaun. I talked to him long into the night about the current state of affairs in Eire. About how the island had come under the domination of English lords in the east, and the divided clans to the west. The Leprechaun's heart seemed to sink with these words, and he replied "This is something we shall have to remedy".

He then asked me, "Do they no longer tell stories of the little folk?" I replied that they did not, for I did not what sort of being he was. He then explained to me the concept of Leprechauns, and their gold. How in ancient times, Leprechauns came in possession of gold, and drew forth from it their magic. He also explained how a captured Leprechaun was obligated to surrender his gold to his captor.

"So I get your gold, having captured you?" I asked, now feeling more secure. "If you wish, but that would be a fool's choice, as I would hunt you down and ultimately kill you, to get my gold back. However, you seem like a nice kid, so I will cut you in on a deal, you let me keep my gold and I will grant you three wishes. Leprechauns don't usually do this, but these are dark times. You must however promise to drive the English invaders from our shores." Said the Leprechaun.

"With pleasure!" I exclaimed. "Good. But I must ask one other thing of you. I desire a bride, and she must not be any bride. She must be the most beautiful woman in all of Eire, and hence the most beautiful woman in all the world. You will help me, won't you?" Said the Leprechaun.

"I will do my best, but you are the ugliest and most quarrelsome person I have ever met." The Leprechaun merely smiled, as if this was some sort of compliment.

I'm intrigued. Does he get his three wishes up front or does he have to get rid of the English first? And I guess that it goes without saying that she had better be a tall read-headed lass with great big...tracts of land. ;)

And you are concerned about the adult nature of the AARs, MrT??? ;D :D

Capitano! Keep it coming! I'm reading. And I like what I'm reading! :)

Originally posted by MrT
I'm intrigued. Does he get his three wishes up front or does he have to get rid of the English first? And I guess that it goes without saying that she had better be a tall read-headed lass with great big...tracts of land. ;)

I will try to answer one of those two questions in my next update, I'm not saying which though. But all will be answered in time. :)

"I will grant you one wish for every task you complete. I am feeling generous today, so I will grant you your first wish now. However, you will still be obligated to complete the task." Said the Leprechaun. "What will my first task be?" I asked. "You must unite the Irish clans under the banner of Ulster, as it was in times past." Replied the Leprechaun. "Ahh, then I will wish for that to be so." I replied.

The Leprechaun took a puff on his pipe, and then proceeded to dump it's contents on my head. "Pardon me a moment, for I must refill my pipe." He said, as he did so. He relit his pipe and then spoke. "Terrible habit. I picked it up centuries ago from my friend the Genie, when I was in Persia." He murmered something about a belly dancer, but I didn't quite make it out, as I was busy rubbing the soot out of my eyes. He then offered me his pipe, which I declined.

"Oh well, so where were we...? Oh, yes! The first wish.... what do you wish for?" Asked the Leprechaun. "I told you, I wish for my first task to be completed!" I exclaimed angrily. The Leprechaun then began to explain to me, in forced calmness, that such wishes were impossible, or he would already have already done so. "Very well, then I wish to be immortal." I replied. "A wise, albeit unimaginative wish..." Said the Leprechaun.

"The Leprechaun then rose from his chair and walked towards the fireplace. On the mantle sat a glass globe containing a green, faintly glowing object. "This is the rarest charm of them all, but is also the most magical. It grows only once a millenia, in a secret place, known only to me. This my friend, is a 7 leaf clover." He then carefully removed the clover from it's container, and placed it in his pipe. "You must smoke this, for your wish to be granted." He said, offering the pipe to me.

Seeing as I had no other choice, I raised the pipe to my face. It's strange and powerful aroma made me feel dizzy, even before I had inhaled the green smoke. The room began to spin as I inhaled, and the last thing I remember was a shrill high pitched laughter. And then, darkness....

Well, since I didn't notice any great big...tracts of land in that post, I'll take it as a response to the wish question. :D

Immortal now, are we? That should come in handy... :)

Originally posted by MrT
Immortal now, are we? That should come in handy... :)

Yes, and two more wishes to go. :)

Being immortal will help to explain why he lives until at least 1820. :D