• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Camara

General
94 Badges
Dec 28, 2008
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Lead and Gold
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
MAGNA TERRA

The objective of this mod is to add all the Old World to Europa Universalis Rome. New provinces and countries will be added (and later proper decisions, events, etc), together with cultures, religions, etc. The vanilla map and gameplay is 100% functional, nothing has being taken out, it is only 1/4 of its original size. I hope you enjoy this mod.

Current version (2011-11-04), see HERE

22th July 2010 Version is released
Download from Filefront here: link

Changes:

Complete overhaul of the Far East:
- China completely changed, much more provinces added
- Southeast Asia added
- Japan added
- Korea has more provinces too
- New countries added (Lu, Zou, Au Viet, Telang, Au Lac, Sa Huynh, Pyu, Buyeo, Okjeo, Ye, Mahan, Byeonhan, Jin, Wa)
- New cultures (pyu, mon_khmer, oc_eo, dian, yue, japanese)
- lac_viet renamed viet
- New religions (viet_folk, japanese_folk)
- New culture groups (southeast_asia, hun, korea_japan)
- Rivers added to Southeast Asia

Notes:
- The terrain map is too ugly, don't use it
- All new nations have Seleucid-named ships
- All characters for new nations have persian-like faces
- Balance will surely be needed
- Some borders are always red (no matter they're a national border or no) and the sea borders don't exist

15th July 2010 Version
Download from Filefront here: link

Changes:

- Compatible with 2.32b
- Minimap corrected for the current map (thank you so much Descartes)
- Removed provinces from the north of Asia as I found them useless and ugly and that allowed me to name most of them without the superior/occidentalis spam
- New provinces added to their place in Nubia, Aethiopia and near the Ganges delta
- Indian kings are now titled Raja/Rani and emperors Samraat. Chinese kings are titled Wang and emperors Huangdi
- Added Qin Emperors characters, but just that, they are currently interestless
- New country added: Kingdom of Kuninda, in Kashmir
- New nations that can be formed: Parthia by Dahae, Indo-Greek Kingdom by Greco-Bactrian Kingdom and Indo-Scythia by Chorasmia or Sakas
- Changed the flag of Kosala with its civil war flag because the rhino is more visible
- Changed governmet types of some countries: Aksum is now a Religious Tribe, the Arabian minors Aristocratic monarchies, Maurya Empire a Federal Monarchy (unless it is already an Imperium), Kalinga a Military Republic and Chorasmia a Civic Tribe. Don't ask me why, I just wanted to diversify
- The borders of the provinces in the Tarim Basin are now much prettier
- Qin and Chu now start with more provinces. Chinese provinces were nerfed in population and civilization value. Colonisation is now slower (I hope)
- Corrected history a little more, with Han taking over Korea and Xiongnu expanding
- Yuezhi now starts with less provinces, but the provinces are now barbarian free
- Added tributaries in historical starts: Chera, Chola, Pandya, Anuradhapura and Kuninda are vassals of Maurya, Parthia is a vassal of Dahae and Chorasmia is a vassal of Sakas
- Added Seleucid cores in "Alexander's India" (Seleukos Nikatos deal with Maurya), but it seems they're not working correctly, not all appear (seems random)
- Meroe is now named Kush. Religion is now Egyptian Pantheon and not African Folk (actually, no country now is african folk as Aksum is jewish). With the new provinces added, I think Kush may be more lucky holding against Egypt
- Han is now an Imperium in the historical starts (Qin too after annexing the other warring states)
- Made some provinces in North-Central India have Jainism as I think it existed somewhat to deserve more provinces. The localisation of them was sort of random however
- Minor changes with some provinces moving to other regions and having different religions
- The sea provinces near Korea now correctly have a visible name
- Indian cultures are now divided in 3 groups: Western Indian, South Indian and Eastern Indian

Development version 1.31 (November 27th 2009)
Download here

Notes:
- Central Asia, Manchuria and Korea added, however with problems with the borders with some provinces in Central Asia
- Topology added
- New countries added: Sakas, Xiongnu, Dingling, Gojoseon. Also new cultures and religion added
- Sea provinces without borders and with microscopic and misplaces names

Development version 1.2 (November 5th 2009)
Download here

Notes:
- Aorsi, Sirenes and Aorsi Magni added, as well as Sarmatia Asiatica provinces
- Arabian countries, provinces and sea provinces added
- Nubian and Ethiopian provinces and countries and provinces added
- Adjacencies don't work (as it is easier to add more provinces without caring for the sea provinces in these development versions)
- Sea provinces names are almost microscopic (idem)

Development version 1.1 (October 31th 2009)
Download here from Rapidshare or here from Filefront

Notes:
- Indian countries added, now the starts are sort of accurate (not really accurate as I lack research on exact dates)
- New religion added: Tengriism (Pagan group)
- New culture added: Wusun (Chinese group)
- Cheexta's unit size added
- Units' speed corrected
- Added Bindusara and Ashoka characters

Very Old Version for Vae Victis 2.2
Download here from Rapidshare or here from Filefront

To do:
- Complete or correct everything mentioned above
- Add historical characters
- Add more provinces and nations, specially in Indochina (?) and Arabia (?), Japan (?), Korea (?), there's space to add just about everything except New World countries

I would like to thank:
- lucaluca for his tremendous work and help
- Descartes for all the interest and support he gives to me, and the awesome minimap
- monsterfurby for some very useful files he gently gave me
- manfred1126 for his help and accurate references
- to everybody that posts in this thread to give support and/or ideas

Feedback, good or bad, is always welcome :D.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Great job!;) Looks impressive.

macedonian_empire_336_323.jpg

This map shows the provinces of the Macedonian Empire... it might be useful for creating provinces of the Seleucid Empire and Bactria in East Iran, Central Asia and Indus Valley.

Very cool! I've been wanting to do a similar thing for quite a long time but never really had the guts to try it :p

Though I know virtually nothing of the east in this era, sadly :( The best I can think of in regards to countries would be:

- Greco-Bactrian Kingdom (or just Bactrian Kingdom, maybe). Pretty much where Afghanistan is now. It was an important semi-Hellenic state that broke away from the Seleucid Empire ca255 BCE and actually managed to conquer India at some point. They were eventually overrun by Sarmatian nomads.
- Mauryan Empire. The rulers of the majority of India at the start of the game, and the Seleucids' biggest rivals in the east. They actually supplied the Seleucids with a ton (well, probably more :p) of elephants for one of the battles against Rome (though I forget which), in return for a fair chunk of Seleucid land in the east. This was then later re-conquered by Antiochus III Megas, along with much of Parthia and Bactria, but he had to release them when the third Roman-Syrian war was lost.

Also, I've found a whole pile of interesting maps about the era here. In particular there's the 300 BCE, 200 BCE, 150 BCE, 100 BCE and 50 BCE maps, all of which fit in our time period. You can find his sources here which may help you on more specific details.

Looking at that 300 BCE map, that would be an incredibly awesome campaign for any of the Chinese dynasties!

Last edited:
Thanks for the fast help!

@lucaluca: The map is excellent as it has cities, that's very important for naming provinces.

@Cheexta: That's the site I've been looking for, I knew about it but I did not have looked for it yet. It shows what countries should be added.

Now, to be sure adding provinces is easy, I added one, in an ex-PTI place. I called it Carmatia, whatever.

rome10.png

Extremely promising as it is similar to EU III, as I'm used too. It's easy! I can turbo-create provinces now!

But unfortunately it looks good on all maps but the terrain, where I think colormap_hires makes it ugly:

rome11.png

I think I'll add the provinces first (I always play with the political map so screw the terrain! :p) and deal with colormap_hires later, to make them pretty in the terrain-style map.

Has anyone worked with colormap_hires and wants to help? :p

you're welcome:). Yes you can look at the cities too, also for naming the province capital or making new provinces depending on the size of them... i.e. Carmania would be bigger that what what you drew, so you might need more province names;)

I can't help you with modding the map, sorry... but i noticed that your cities look misplaced in the last screenshot, maybe an effect of the resizing?

This province was just a test to see if I could sucessfully create one, Carmatia will not be its definitive name.

i noticed that your cities look misplaced in the last screenshot, maybe an effect of the resizing?

That's because I didn't treat positions.txt yet, I erased everything so it puts the cities in a default position. Because of that there are no ports too yet. But that part is easy, it's just need work to put it working, but without new provinces there was no Magna Terra so I'm seeing if the concept of adding Asia is possible. It seems it is :)

Of course later positions.txt will be treated. If the EU III tool, Positions Editor, worked, it would be awsome.

PS: Positions Editor works in Rome too (thanks God Paradox made all thing similar). Awsomeness.

Last edited:
I just want to post what I have done today: now Alexander's Empire may be put together.

rome12d.png

rome14.png

Yes, I know there's a Greco-Bactrian Kingdom and a Maurya Empire where I put Seleucid territory. At this point I'm just building provinces, so I don't care who owns them, the history files will be done later (now I'm just making copies of Persepolis).

Yes, topology is not done yet. If you want to help you're welcome!

And the terrain mode map. It looks horrendous (that's why I did not show it :D). But hey, the political map and the others are much better, right? :D You can help me, can't you? :D

@lucaluca I created these provinces based on the map you gave: the cities are primordial to accurate name provinces. Thank you very much.

Some mapping tools for EU III work with Rome (just need a small change here and there). Epic win. Positions Editor and Map Checker are two trump cards in this modding.

Again, all help is appreciated, specially flags for countries and regions, for the faces of indian and chinese guys, sprites, all kinds of things.

I just want to post what I have done today: now Alexander's Empire may be put together.

rome12d.png

rome14.png

Yes, I know there's a Greco-Bactrian Kingdom and a Maurya Empire where I put Seleucid territory. At this point I'm just building provinces, so I don't care who owns them, the history files will be done later (now I'm just making copies of Persepolis).

Yes, topology is not done yet. If you want to help you're welcome!

And the terrain mode map. It looks horrendous (that's why I did not show it :D). But hey, the political map and the others are much better, right? :D You can help me, can't you? :D

@lucaluca I created these provinces based on the map you gave: the cities are primordial to accurate name provinces. Thank you very much.

Some mapping tools for EU III work with Rome (just need a small change here and there). Epic win. Positions Editor and Map Checker are two trump cards in this modding.

Again, all help is appreciated, specially flags for countries and regions, for the faces of indian and chinese guys, sprites, all kinds of things.

OMG I'm in ecstasy:eek::D

It looks amazing!!!! The provinces look pretty accurate, you can always modify them later with new/more inputs.

Thanks for your great work, if i can be of any help just let me know (I can't mod map or anything but can help with history or whatever).

Edit: the provinces name is yet not displayed in the map right? When it will be i can help you with topology of the region.

Last edited:
A flag I made for a Indo-Greek or just Indian nation ages ago. I don't know how well a recoloring will fare, but hopefully it won't be that big of a deal.

GRE.jpg

And, of course, excellent work! This is the best thing I have seen since Imperium 2.0 was launched, and we have seen loads of modding since then :)

Wow, this has epic potential.

I will certainly see if I can contribute a few countries and flags in the future.

While you are at it, you might want to look at fixing the positioning of the Euphrates and Tigris rivers.:)

Attached is a fix done by Lofman - hope he doesnt mind me uploading it.

I tried the Positions Editor last night and got it working. When I changed the unit position in a sea province (down near egypt) it did not work properly, it appeared to put it at the top of the map. Can you tell us what tweeks you made to it to get it working for EUR ?

Cheers

Attachments

• riversandtopology.zip
    411,1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Ambitious... most ambitious. Yet oh so intrigueing.

I know. I don't know if the sprites will be possible to mod, but anyway I prefer playing Indian or Chinese countries with roman-like guys running around than not playing them :D

OMG I'm in ecstasy

It looks amazing!!!! The provinces look pretty accurate, you can always modify them later with new/more inputs.

Thanks for your great work, if i can be of any help just let me know (I can't mod map or anything but can help with history or whatever).

Edit: the provinces name is yet not displayed in the map right? When it will be i can help you with topology of the region.

I don't want you to drug yourself :rofl:

The province names are after the map you posted. They are as accurate in position as I tried to. Help will be needed for lots of things, but now I'm just adding provinces.

The provinces name is displayed, but as I erased everything from Positions.txt they are very small and you can't see them :D Editing positions.txt with Positions Editor will fix that.

This mod has an extreme potential. If you're as dedicated as I think you are, Camara, this will be the mod to rule them all. Good luck!

Thanks! I'll try to transform the potential into reality.

A flag I made for a Indo-Greek or just Indian nation ages ago. I don't know how well a recoloring will fare, but hopefully it won't be that big of a deal.

And, of course, excellent work! This is the best thing I have seen since Imperium 2.0 was launched, and we have seen loads of modding since then

Thanks! I'll not deal with the flag now but later when I'll mod most countries I'll need it.

Thanks! Actually I will say something that will look weird: I was hoping someone would add Asia to buy Rome. I waited for it, and nothing, nobody did it. So, some days ago I bought Rome, played a little, and quickly started to see what could be done. I modded Europa Universalis and from I saw in Rome forums it seemed the mapping part was similar. So I came up with the idea of scaling and when it worked I was very happy because everything would be possible.

To sum it up, I bought Rome to mod Asia in, and will only play with completely when this task is done. I'm crazy, I'm very aware of it, so it's not need to say it to me :p

Wow, this has epic potential.

I will certainly see if I can contribute a few countries and flags in the future.

While you are at it, you might want to look at fixing the positioning of the Euphrates and Tigris rivers.

Attached is a fix done by Lofman - hope he doesnt mind me uploading it.

Any help will be welcomed! Ok, I will fix it, thanks, I just don't know when I'll do it :D

I tried the Positions Editor last night and got it working. When I changed the unit position in a sea province (down near egypt) it did not work properly, it appeared to put it at the top of the map. Can you tell us what tweeks you made to it to get it working for EUR ?

In Europa Universalis III the map is flipped. So to make Positions Editor working for Rome you'll need to flip vertically the Rome map. I tried it and it worked ;)

Thanks for your help and support. But today, in a miracle, I discovered something I was looking for: another big map with cities. So I'll present you with more stuff... now!

I think I will be the first to have the honor to say: Maurya Empire fans, put your hands up in the air! A map of India, indicating a lot of cities, in the Maurya Empire time that I discovered today too was a big plus and allowed me to mod India quickly!

rome15.png

PS: that line in the Indian Ocean is a bug easily removable, I'll remove it in the next "show"

rome16.png

Again, this is just to show the provinces, forget the Seleucid exclaves, the Seleucid-like Mauryans and the misplacing of flags.

rome17.png

rome18.png

Ironically, I was testing the game speed and a civil war broke up. I'll be the first to present a picture of the first Maurya Empire civil war too :rofl:

rome19.png

One thing someone can do (annoying, I know, I don't expect you to do it, but still it must be done by someone) is using Positions Editor to correct the positions of cities, units, and put ports in provinces.

Here are the map files I have up to now (the Indian line bug is corrected). To use Positions Editor you'll need to flip vertically provinces.bmp (MS Paint does it, select all the image and then right click, there's an option to flip, do it to flip vertically).

To try the mod in your computer here are the other files you'll need to run the mod (I'm lazy and you'll need to put all these files together, in a near future I'll do it).

One very important information: even with India added, speed is very good. That is excellent news, as with massive addition of provinces and countries it will slow down. Being fast now, even with India added, it's great as it gives more modding freedom to add much more things.

Again, many thanks,
Camara

wow that looks impressive:eek: great work!;)

Seleucids conquered a province in south India?:rofl:

I was wondering about cultures, city pops make up, dynasties, history... that would require a lot of research and work... Maybe you can try to contact the RIMP team to see if they can provide some help in this regard?

No, the mod to rule them all is imperium

+1. Magna Terra is a simpler mod: adds more map and countries, that's it. Imperium is way more deep.

I added China to the map. I based mostly in Qin and Han dynasties map, as Zhou dynasty maps... err... I found none.

rome22.png

Look the flag of the Zhou Dynasty. How original: the character means "Zhou" (vide Wikipedia :D).

rome23.png

Here is central Asia, of course these provinces will not be Zhou's.

rome24.png

Another look of the empire, from Northeast.

rome25.png

A "closer" look of China in a large scale.

rome26.png

So the main objective of the map is done - India and China. But there is way more space for more provinces. The speed is good too. Of course adding countries will slow it down.