• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How does one change the government view (when you click the SPQR button)? I can see the image file of how the screen is laid out (gfa/interface/), but realize there must be something internal in the game that tells it who's picture to put and where on the screen to place it. What file needs to be altered, or is this something in the source code?

How does one change the government view (when you click the SPQR button)? I can see the image file of how the screen is laid out (gfa/interface/), but realize there must be something internal in the game that tells it who's picture to put and where on the screen to place it. What file needs to be altered, or is this something in the source code?
Go to *\interface\domestic_characters.gui. It's all very confusing though; I'm still getting my head around it, but Descartes seems to have it pretty well understood.

You need to edit two interface files: assets.gfx and domestic_government.gui. In the gfx file, you add new paths for the affected image files (mod\\x\\y\\ instead of y\\, where x is your mod name and y your image file name). In the gui file, you change the positions of all images and text fragments. It takes some trial-and-error before you understand it, but it's pretty logical.

So does changing the number of seats change the number of characters spawned? Or is it possible to have seats filled by ghosts?
There's no connection whatsoever between senate seats and characters. All senators can be populists while only a few characters are populists. Consequently, changing the number of seats has no effect on the number of characters spawned.

Go to *\interface\domestic_characters.gui. It's all very confusing though; I'm still getting my head around it, but Descartes seems to have it pretty well understood.
Not the right file, I'm afraid.

Dang it, for some reason I thought he asked about the character view. Looking back, I have no idea how I made that mistake :p

Listen to Descates, he's the man.

But surely when characters are spawned what faction they belong to is determined by what % that faction is represented in in parliament. I mean I know when the religious faction has fuck all seats there's stuff all characters for that faction to use.

Great work in giving Rome two annual consuls. :)

But about the titles "primus" and "secundus": The Romans did actually use semi-official titles to differentiate between the two consuls, but not by calling them primus and secundus. Two methods of differentiating them were used alongside each other:

The elder of the two was called consul maior, the younger consul minor. This would translate as "elder consul" and "younger consul".

Votes:

The consul elected with more total votes was called consul prior, the one elected with less overall votes consul posterior. The proper translation for these terms is a bit awkward but would be along the lines of "foremost consul" and "hindmost consul".

Just if you want to go all the way with being authentic. ;)

Ah, I see! Yes sir, I'm more than willing to go all the way with being authentic. :D
The method best suited for the game mechanics is probably prior/posterior, so I think I'll stick to that one. Or would you have preferred maior/minor? Thanks for showing interest in the mod. :)

Thank you for going to the pains of modding! And as to me showing interest, you may have bitten off more than you bargained for...:D

And who am I that my preferences should enter into this? Both maior/minor and prior/posterior was used by the Romans themselves, and both is equally right, and that's all that matters as far as I'm concerned.

Prior/Posterior sounds best.

Thank you for going to the pains of modding! And as to me showing interest, you may have bitten off more than you bargained for...:D

And who am I that my preferences should enter into this? Both maior/minor and prior/posterior was used by the Romans themselves, and both is equally right, and that's all that matters as far as I'm concerned.
Don't worry, I love modding. Feel free to point out if anything else looks ahistorical. Having read your AAR on the Normans in Italy, I'm convinced you know what you're talking about. ;)

Prior/Posterior sounds best.
Agreed. :)