• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyberius_D

Imperator
88 Badges
Sep 7, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • March of the Eagles
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Divine Wind
I just wanted to bring up some little ideas that might be helpful and interesting to paradox interactive. 1st I have a question, will there be an expansion pack for hearts of iron 3? If there is I will be very happy, however I have a few ideas for this addition for this release, not game ideas but company release ideas. 1st. When and if an expansion released, it be made a free download through paradox interactive's website. Reason for being is that though it will be a short on profits, it will be a personal booster to us active buyers of Paradox. I tell this because I would like for paradox to be more user friendly. I love 2020 but I have to order the expansion pack to have it. I already shelled out 30 for the first and don't want to shell another 20 for the expansion. And I know I will have the same problem with HoI3X. Though I think it will be in enough popular demand by the PC players that it will be for sale here, already shelled 40 for HoI3 and don't want to shell more for an expansion park. If paradox was o change this and make it a free download, it would probably increase popular backing and increase overall sales for its games. Overall I am asking for more bang for our buck. Cause I sure know that the more I get for the dollar the better I feel.

Paradox is a commercial company, that needs to sell games to be able to keep making them.

They also have people working for them and they need to be paid, you really can't expect people to work for free. They aren't volunteers who do this for a hobby.

Just because they sell you things doesn't mean that they are user-unfriendly.

Cause I sure know that the more I get for the dollar the better I feel.

Of course you do, but there are limits to what you can get for your money.

I think it's more a question of whether the expansion packs are just patches, or if they really include significant new features. If they really enhance gameplay with new content (new units, new scenarios, new gameplay mechanics) then they're worth paying for. If they are just patches disguised as an expansion pack, they're not worth paying for - you're paying for something you should already have gotten.

The problem is easily solved - read reviews and decide if you're really getting something out of the expansion pack that you want. If you like the base product and see new features you want - buy it. If you don't, then don't fork out the dough.
If the product you already bought isn't performing up to your standards, don't show your support by buying expansion packs.

Well there is a good bunch of lads that had to pay more for the game than you. When there is a group that is qualified for a expansion pack discount then its the € users, they paid allmost 50% more than poor mericans.

But srsly if you wanna free expansion just take a glimpse at the mod forum:cool:

It all depends on whether the game is already in perfect working order, and compelling to play according to its design.

In Nomine was a great expansion. I'm glad I bought it and it was worth the money I spent. Not only did I not feel taken advantage of, I was happy paradox developed it and happy to buy it to support the effort.

VV was not a fair expansion. The game still did not work, and the features were so weak that the game was not compelling. VV simply completed the game as it should have been when released. I didn't buy VV, I haven't played Rome since it first came, and I'm actually a little insulted by the whole episode.

So, if HOI3 is already patched to a perfect state, I'm happy to pay for the expansion. If it is not, and if an expansion simply fixes bug, adds the placeholder political system, fills in more leaders for puppets, and extends the timeline by just extending the same techs in the same existing formulas -- then I won't and I'll be ticked off.

Sure, Paradox has to make money to fund its development of games. I think they should. I just want the pricing to be transparent -- the price on the box at release is the price for the game. If an expansion is new development, I'm glad. If its a tax for a patch to make the game I bought what I thought I was buying in the first place -- then I'm ticked.

definitely don't want a free expansion.. those are called patches and rarely have much new stuff (except in mmo's.. in particularly wow but you pay monthly so its fair). As noted, if the expansion has a whole bunch of cool features, campaigns, improvements and over all is worth the money, then good.

I just hope they don't pull a CA.. AKA, release a terribly buggy product, wait 6 months and then say "heres this new 'game'. The things in it will be everything we said was going to be in E:TW. I know we put you into alpha for E:TW, but this new game is totally polished, so give us 50 dollars.
See the nice response they got from their customers. :rofl:

definitely don't want a free expansion.. those are called patches and rarely have much new stuff (except in mmo's.. in particularly wow but you pay monthly so its fair). As noted, if the expansion has a whole bunch of cool features, campaigns, improvements and over all is worth the money, then good.

I just hope they don't pull a CA.. AKA, release a terribly buggy product, wait 6 months and then say "heres this new 'game'. The things in it will be everything we said was going to be in E:TW. I know we put you into alpha for E:TW, but this new game is totally polished, so give us 50 dollars.
See the nice response they got from their customers. :rofl:

I never played Empire:TW, but I just read up on what they pulled with Napoleon.

Yeah, if Paradox were to pull something like that -- that would be a problem.

The "enter" key is your friend.

It allows you to make paragraphs.

Paragraphs make readers' eyes happy.

Happy is good.

:rofl:

I have found Paradox's expansions to be awesome and reasonably priced. Of course they can't give them away for free, but they definitely present good value.

As long as Paradox doesn't do what Valve did with Left 4 Dead 2 I'll be happy. Left 4 Dead 2 is basically a glorified mod for Left 4 Dead 1 released only 1 year after L4D1 and yet they are asking for full price for it (~$50).

Well there is a good bunch of lads that had to pay more for the game than you. When there is a group that is qualified for a expansion pack discount then its the € users, they paid allmost 50% more than poor mericans.

But srsly if you wanna free expansion just take a glimpse at the mod forum:cool:

What about the Aussies & Kiwis? We have to pay the equivalent of $60.50 USD, or 41.25 Euro. How much did YOU pay?

VV was not a fair expansion. The game still did not work, and the features were so weak that the game was not compelling. VV simply completed the game as it should have been when released. I didn't buy VV, I haven't played Rome since it first came, and I'm actually a little insulted by the whole episode.

You only played it on release date and did not buy the expansion, yet you know all of this anyway. Strange. :rolleyes:

You only played it on release date and did not buy the expansion, yet you know all of this anyway. Strange. :rolleyes:

Exactly. Nothing strange.

Played the game. Waited for patches. Experimented with them. Found the game still frustrating.

After it had been 6 months or a year or whatever and the game was still not patched to be working -- as in things like the entire religion system, supposedly a groundbreaking feature of the game, simply did not work -- and certainly not challenging or fun, I shelved it forever.

VV came out. I read what was in it. Surfed the boards. Read some AARs. Pretty much understood what was in it. My vanilla game was still not working or compelling. Much of the stuff in VV was stuff that would maybe make it more compelling, but I felt if so should have been part of the game (a working senate, not having to micro governors (how I still remember the constant cries of death from my governors every month!), etc).

Felt ticked. Didn't want to pay for an expansion to what is universally understood to be a terrible and sloppy game just to make it bearable. Decided against it.

That sounds negative about paradox, which is how I feel about it. Then again, the EU3 experience was quite good and I was often delighted (although still frustrated often at the willingness to leave major gamebreakoing things like non-latin super rebels in the game for half a year, etc).

The eye rolls are thus, kind sir, inappropriate.

I would LOVE if they expanded the length of the game in hoi3 until like the 70s or 60s for some cold war fun. It would cover so much and give so many hours of more fun. They could had from the orginal 1936-1948 game to 1936-1958 and make another expansion to run from 1958-1968. I would'nt mind buying 1-2 or even 3 expansions for that plus with so many expansions there would be fixes in the game and more options im sure they will add. i really hope we can see some an expansion before victoria 2 comes out.

I think it's more a question of whether the expansion packs are just patches, or if they really include significant new features. If they really enhance gameplay with new content (new units, new scenarios, new gameplay mechanics) then they're worth paying for. If they are just patches disguised as an expansion pack, they're not worth paying for - you're paying for something you should already have gotten.

The problem is easily solved - read reviews and decide if you're really getting something out of the expansion pack that you want. If you like the base product and see new features you want - buy it. If you don't, then don't fork out the dough.
If the product you already bought isn't performing up to your standards, don't show your support by buying expansion packs.

QFT!

I would LOVE if they expanded the length of the game in hoi3 until like the 70s or 60s for some cold war fun. It would cover so much and give so many hours of more fun. They could had from the orginal 1936-1948 game to 1936-1958 and make another expansion to run from 1958-1968. I would'nt mind buying 1-2 or even 3 expansions for that plus with so many expansions there would be fixes in the game and more options im sure they will add. i really hope we can see some an expansion before victoria 2 comes out.

I don't really want a Modern War game. What I would like is for them to take it back to about 1920 or so, and let us build up from there.

Sort of like IN vs NA. :)

BB

Yuk . . did you play doomsday? They didn't even bother adding any real event chains or anything. The intelligence system they put in added precisely zero to the game-play since it was not automatic - you had to click to dispatch each and every spy, and to commence each and every mission. Given that it was a Commies V. Allies scenario you'd have thought that they would have done something about the rubbish nuclear weapons AI in HOI2 but no-ooooo! In fact, the scenario that I knocked up after I bought HOI2 was about as good.

No, the cold war is in fact pretty bad subject-matter for a HOI-style game. So long as the war stays cold, it's boring, when the war turns hot - well, it doesn't last very long, that's for sure. It doesn't take much more than a dozen or so nukes to wreck a country, and by the time 1960 rolled round both sides had thousands.

WW1 is much better subject-matter, but Paradox just don't like the idea of that as an expansion pack when it is already covered by the Vicky franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.