+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 730

Thread: Map Generator 2.0

  1. #301
    Jalayirid Caliph mayorqw's Avatar
    200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tucked away safely in your darkest nightmares
    Posts
    1,137
    Blog Entries
    2
    I love this.
    My AARs:
    Baghdad in the Sky with Diamonds (last updated 27/08/13)
    So Long Mom, I'm Off to Drop the Bomb - A Fallout 2 AAR (last updated 08/06/14)

  2. #302
    Sergeant iontom's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindKing Arthur II

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    85
    I've been a bit of a lurker on this forum for a while but this project is so awesome it has prompted me to action. I made a map and tested it. I had to pick a scenario first, then the map appeared. Once I started play there was a mission generated. About 30 seconds into play I crash after and event pops up. The event looks like it may be the mission completing. It was the same for any nation I tried playing. I can't seem to find the "God's will" string anywhere in localization or any other events pages

    About the map itself, I noticed in most spots the coasts look nice. However it sometimes doesn't come out smooth. I also noticed that rivers have the same issue, being crooked in places and straight other times. Also, would there be any way to make borders contour rivers?

    Coasts.jpg

    event.jpg


    Also, have you seen this Mod before? It may be cool to include artificially generated nations, maybe have a slider to determine historical to randomized percentage of nations?
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...orld-Generator!

    Let me know what's important to solve first, have you been having that same event problem?

    I'm also trying to make sense of the map scripts, that stuff really interests me but it does seem pretty complicated, all can gather is that most of those scripts store coefficients for some perlin noise algorithm? It does look very hard.

    Hope I can be of good service. Cheers

  3. #303
    First Lieutenant Saphe's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedWar of the Roses500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sweden, Norrköping.
    Posts
    239
    The weird contours are related to the terrain.

    I did some province modding on England once and I got the same thing.

    Also, I'm getting "unexpected end of archive" error when I try to open the Beta4 file.
    Last edited by Saphe; 27-02-2012 at 11:47.

  4. #304
    Any tips for getting rivers to work for those who have problems doing so in the beta version?

    It seems that I always crash when EUIII gets to "creating rivers". I have tried numerous random maps with various degrees of rivers (the river slider set to none, some, a lot, etc.) and they all seem to crash. I have tried the "one river" approached as previously suggested, but that doesn't work either.

    What I really want to do is create a fantasy map of my own design. I've gotten it to the same place as the completely randomly generated maps, the "Creating rivers..." screen.

    If I have overlooked any known errors regarding rivers or if anyone has some advice, that would be great. Thank you.

    EDIT: It appears that continued trial and error resulted in a perfectly working map. Thanks.
    Last edited by Orago; 27-02-2012 at 17:41.

  5. #305
    Major nom's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tiundaland
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by iontom View Post
    I've been a bit of a lurker on this forum for a while but this project is so awesome it has prompted me to action. I made a map and tested it. I had to pick a scenario first, then the map appeared. Once I started play there was a mission generated. About 30 seconds into play I crash after and event pops up. The event looks like it may be the mission completing. It was the same for any nation I tried playing. I can't seem to find the "God's will" string anywhere in localization or any other events pages
    I try to make sure that the maps work so the game starts. However, I know next to nothing about event and mission scripting. The missions shipped with the standard data set are old, probably from NA or perhaps IN. There might be all sorts of problems and deprecated functionality in there. Not to mention references to specific provinces that I missed to remove. I have an opening for a volunteer to update and test the events, missions and decisions but so far none have stepped forward.

    Quote Originally Posted by iontom View Post
    About the map itself, I noticed in most spots the coasts look nice. However it sometimes doesn't come out smooth. I also noticed that rivers have the same issue, being crooked in places and straight other times. Also, would there be any way to make borders contour rivers?

    Attachment 48695

    Attachment 48696
    Could you try Saphe's suggestion and take a look at the terrain map to see if there is any difference between the smooth and sharp parts?

    Quote Originally Posted by iontom View Post
    Also, have you seen this Mod before? It may be cool to include artificially generated nations, maybe have a slider to determine historical to randomized percentage of nations?
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...orld-Generator!

    Let me know what's important to solve first, have you been having that same event problem?
    I have actually worked a little bit on random countries. You can take a look in the Random Countries folder in the data set. The idea was that you specified lots of names of persons and armies etc. for a certain culture and then a list of possible random countries in that culture. There would probably be a few more small things needed, but the two main things remaining are a system for random flags and collecting all the necessary data.

    I gave up on this because it seemed people weren't really that interested in random maps at the time and I didn't want to gather all the data myself. That, and the fact that I moved on to other projects.

    Currently I want to get real map parts up and running before I start improving the functionality. That also requires a lot of data gathering from someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by iontom View Post
    I'm also trying to make sense of the map scripts, that stuff really interests me but it does seem pretty complicated, all can gather is that most of those scripts store coefficients for some perlin noise algorithm? It does look very hard.

    Hope I can be of good service. Cheers
    You are correct that it uses perlin noise. In fact it uses lots of perlin noise maps. To be precise, 17 maps for the default map generation script, 7 for the province script and 10 for the terrain script.
    It's actually not that hard to understand the scripts once you get into it. The problem is to get something good looking out of it. Basically, what the script does is create a number of noise maps with certain properties and combine them in specific ways. If you want I can write a detailed description of how it works.

  6. #306
    Major nom's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tiundaland
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by Saphe View Post
    The weird contours are related to the terrain.

    I did some province modding on England once and I got the same thing.

    Also, I'm getting "unexpected end of archive" error when I try to open the Beta4 file.
    Is anyone else getting this error?

    To me that sounds a lot like a corrupted download. Have you tried downloading it again?

  7. #307
    Major nom's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tiundaland
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by Orago View Post
    Any tips for getting rivers to work for those who have problems doing so in the beta version?

    It seems that I always crash when EUIII gets to "creating rivers". I have tried numerous random maps with various degrees of rivers (the river slider set to none, some, a lot, etc.) and they all seem to crash. I have tried the "one river" approached as previously suggested, but that doesn't work either.

    What I really want to do is create a fantasy map of my own design. I've gotten it to the same place as the completely randomly generated maps, the "Creating rivers..." screen.

    If I have overlooked any known errors regarding rivers or if anyone has some advice, that would be great. Thank you.

    EDIT: It appears that continued trial and error resulted in a perfectly working map. Thanks.
    As far as I know there are two main reasons for why the rivers will not work in the game. The first is that there are no rivers on the map. The second is that the rivers are not following the rules, i.e. one pixel wide, starts with green pixel, connects to other rivers with red pixel.

    If you come across another problem with rivers, can you please open the rivers.bmp file and check if it fails in any of these ways. I have worked a lot on scaling the map up by a factor of three and still keep the one-pixel width and getting the connections right, but there might still be a bug somewhere in the code there.

  8. #308
    Sergeant iontom's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindKing Arthur II

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    85
    I want to help, I can start with the events & missions. I tried cancelling a mission but the game crashed anyway. I also tried making a variety of maps but only one of them initialized successfully. It was using the 1492/default setup with a small map size. Any other scenario I try crashes before reaching the DW menu screen. I'll send screenshots tonight when I'm home.

    Quote Originally Posted by nom View Post
    I try to make sure that the maps work so the game starts. However, I know next to nothing about event and mission scripting. The missions shipped with the standard data set are old, probably from NA or perhaps IN. There might be all sorts of problems and deprecated functionality in there. Not to mention references to specific provinces that I missed to remove. I have an opening for a volunteer to update and test the events, missions and decisions but so far none have stepped forward.


    Could you try Saphe's suggestion and take a look at the terrain map to see if there is any difference between the smooth and sharp parts?
    I will check the terrain map too and send screens. It happened around a Panama-type land bridge if that's any help.

    Random countries as a variable percentage would be really cool and fun in my opinion, but that's something that can be worked out after things are much more stable.

    And I would be thrilled if you wanted to explain how the perlin noise map scrips work! I used to make planet-art using randomized terrain in Terragen, and even have averaged out noise before in astronomical imaging, so I've used or removed noise before but never created it!

    Anyway, I'll focus on getting my build more stable and then going through events. Maybe a lot of the stuff popping up is from IN or httt and there will be a way to transplant a lot. How many game assets if any are in the dll for the generator?

  9. #309
    First Lieutenant Saphe's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedWar of the Roses500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sweden, Norrköping.
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by nom View Post
    Is anyone else getting this error?

    To me that sounds a lot like a corrupted download. Have you tried downloading it again?
    It's alright, it worked after a couple of tries.

  10. #310
    Major nom's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tiundaland
    Posts
    562
    Alright then

    The comprehensive guide to map scripting

    First of all I use libnoise for all my map generation so for more in-depth information you can look here.


    Now, the first thing you need to know is that the final map is created by a series of modules. A module can either create a map, modify a map or combine two maps. All modules have certain things in common in the scripts. They start with the definition of the name

    baseTerrain = newModule("baseTerrain")

    followed by the definition of the type of the module

    baseTerrain.type = "Billow"

    then a number of parameters is set, and finally the module is saved through

    this.Store(baseTerrain)

    The last module to be saved is the one used in the game.


    Module types

    Creation modules

    Billow, Perlin: Used to create standard perlin noise. I honestly don't remember the difference between these two.
    RidgedMulti: Used to create more ridged terrain like mountains and chains of islands.

    These takes the following parameters:
    seed - sets the seed for the random number generation. I normally use a factor of the seed value given in the generator to get reproducible results.
    frequency, persistence, octavecount - used to change the appearance of the maps. I recommend to look at the pictures here to get an idea about what they do.
    lacunarity - I don't use it and have no good idea what it does.

    Voronoi: Used to create voronoi cells for province creation. Takes the parameters frequency, controls size of provinces, and displacement, which is related to coloring and should be 10.0.


    Modifier modules

    ScaleBias: Used to scale the maps. Normally the colors are in the range -1 to 1, with the sea level at 0. Takes the parameters scale and bias that do exactly what it sounds like. Setting scale to 0.5 and bias to -0.5 would change the color range of a map to -1 to 0, i.e. put it underwater.

    Turbulence: Used to give maps a more realistic appearance. Also used to give provinces more realistic shapes. Takes the parameters frequency and power. To get an idea what they do take a look at the pictures at the bottom of this page. Also takes the parameter roughness, but I don't know what that does and I don't use it.

    RotatePoint: Rotates earth. Used with a rotation angle set in the generator to rotate the maps to avoid a good looking continent being split in half by the edge of the map. Takes the rotation angle as a parameter.

    All the modifier modules take the parameter source1 which specifies the name of the module that should be modified.


    Combining modules

    Select: Combines two modules. Uses a third noise map to specify how the modules should be combined.

    Takes the following parameters:
    source1 - the name of the first module
    source2 - the name of the second module
    control - the module to use to define how to combine
    minbound, maxbound - if the colorvalue of control is between minbound and maxbound use source2 otherwise use source 1. Normally maxbound is set > 1.
    edgefalloff - controls how smooth the boundary between the two modules should be.
    This might help in understanding the parameters.


    Example

    To give an example let's take a look at the default map script default.lua. I should say that the names of modules regularly have nothing to do with what they do since I've been copying back and forth. Remember the map color go from -1 to 1 with 0 being the sea level.

    1. It starts off by creating a billow terrain to use as a base. (baseTerrain)

    2. baseTerrain is scaled to the range 0 to 0.5, i.e. regular flat dry land (flatPlain)

    3. A new RidgedMulti map is created as a base for mountains. (mountainBase)

    4. mountainBase is scaled to the range 0 to 0.9 (mountainTerrain)

    5. A bit of turbulence is added to the mountains (finalMountains)

    6. A perlin noise map is created to act as a separator between flat land and mountains. (valleys)

    7. A mountain rich terrain type is created by combining flatPlain and finalMountains, using valleys as a guide. The minbound is 0 so there will be an equal amount of mountains and plains. (ridges)

    8. A perlin noise map is created to act as a separator between mountain rich regions and plains. (landType)

    9. The base land terrain is created by combining ridges and flatPlain using landType as a guide. The minbound is 0.3 so 65% of the map will be flat, and 35% mountain rich. (landTerrain)

    10. baseTerrain is scaled to the range -0.75 to -0.25 to give a base for oceans (baseOcean)

    11. mountainBase is rescaled to -1 to 0 to give some structure to the ocean floor. (oceanIslands)

    12. A new perlin noise map is created to control type of ocean. (oceanType)

    13. The final ocean is created by combining baseOcean and oceanIslands, using oceanType as a guide. (finalOcean)

    14. A new perlin noise map is created to separate land from sea. (continents)

    15. finalOcean and landTerrain is combined with continents as a guide. (finalTerrain)

    16. The final terrain gets a bit of turbulence. (turbulenceTerrain)

    17. Finally the map can be rotated if necessary (rotatedTerrain)


    And that's the story of how the map is created.


    To do your own map I would recommend starting small, adding one module at a time. Remember that the last one saved is the one seen in the generator. Setting the map size smaller and removing the rivers makes testing a lot quicker. Especially remember to turn off rivers if you're making test maps without any water.

  11. #311
    Would it be possible to use this with a premade bitmap? I am working on a custom provinces.bmp and I am dreading having to create all of the history files, assigning province IDs to colors, localizations, etc... all at once to get it running. There seem to be so many undocumented requirements to make sure that it runs without a crash. If I could just have these created even with random data I could then edit that bit by bit, while having a working map at all times. So basically I want to be able to give your program a provinces.bmp and have your program generate the rest so that the map is working.

  12. #312
    Major nom's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tiundaland
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloGoodSir View Post
    Would it be possible to use this with a premade bitmap? I am working on a custom provinces.bmp and I am dreading having to create all of the history files, assigning province IDs to colors, localizations, etc... all at once to get it running. There seem to be so many undocumented requirements to make sure that it runs without a crash. If I could just have these created even with random data I could then edit that bit by bit, while having a working map at all times. So basically I want to be able to give your program a provinces.bmp and have your program generate the rest so that the map is working.
    You can import a heightmap and a province map. If you only have a province map then I guess you could create a heightmap by making land light gray and water dark gray. That would create some problems with the river creation and with the terrain creation, so you might want to edit those maps yourself afterwards. Other than that it should work.

  13. #313
    Sergeant iontom's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindKing Arthur II

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    85
    Wow, I'm very impressed. This is all so incredible. You've managed to keep me distracted from work all day! When I looked at the complexity of the planet renderer my brain melted a little bit: http://libnoise.sourceforge.net/exam...plexplanet.png

    But you're using a much more approximately scaled set of modules to render here. You just have two source modules and the control module? I'd say your continents look great in game with just those few, it's not like you're rendering a full sized world for 3D landscape software.

    And Voronoi diagrams! I've never heard of that before, although I had heard the story of John Snow using mathematical geospatial models to track cholera. That's some very awesome geometry! It very much reminds me of some of the stuff covered in an economic geography class I took once. How do you determine the placement of the random points? Is there any preference towards coastline, rivers and/or latitude? Would the distribution be able to create low density areas (Siberia/Sahara) and high density (Most of Europe)? Also, have you loaded an Earth map before to test the province scripts? I'd be willing to try tonight. I'd think that being able to reproduce good/believable provinces on an Earth map would be the best litmus for applying it to random maps.

    Thanks for sharing though! Truly fascinating stuff!

  14. #314
    Quote Originally Posted by nom View Post
    You can import a heightmap and a province map. If you only have a province map then I guess you could create a heightmap by making land light gray and water dark gray. That would create some problems with the river creation and with the terrain creation, so you might want to edit those maps yourself afterwards. Other than that it should work.
    Nice, I'm glad that you have this. Divine Wind doesn't use the heightmap so I'll just make a light gray/dark gray map like you said. I already have the river map and I will do the terrain myself, so I'm not worried about that. I am just looking to get the map to load successfully. I'm just making a map of North America based on the Victoria II map but improved in terms of terrain, river placement, provinces, etc... and I'm eliminating the rest of the world since my mod focuses on North America.

    I'll finish my map up in a few weeks and then I'll see about importing it. Thanks.

  15. #315
    Lt. General Keanon's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India Company Collection
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldMagickaMajesty 2
    March of the EaglesPenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuShip Simulator ExtremesSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWar of the RosesRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Norden
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by nom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Orago View Post
    Any tips for getting rivers to work for those who have problems doing so in the beta version?

    It seems that I always crash when EUIII gets to "creating rivers". I have tried numerous random maps with various degrees of rivers (the river slider set to none, some, a lot, etc.) and they all seem to crash. I have tried the "one river" approached as previously suggested, but that doesn't work either.

    What I really want to do is create a fantasy map of my own design. I've gotten it to the same place as the completely randomly generated maps, the "Creating rivers..." screen.

    If I have overlooked any known errors regarding rivers or if anyone has some advice, that would be great. Thank you.

    EDIT: It appears that continued trial and error resulted in a perfectly working map. Thanks.
    As far as I know there are two main reasons for why the rivers will not work in the game. The first is that there are no rivers on the map. The second is that the rivers are not following the rules, i.e. one pixel wide, starts with green pixel, connects to other rivers with red pixel.

    If you come across another problem with rivers, can you please open the rivers.bmp file and check if it fails in any of these ways. I have worked a lot on scaling the map up by a factor of three and still keep the one-pixel width and getting the connections right, but there might still be a bug somewhere in the code there.
    I think what he means is in map creation, not when trying to enter the game.

    I've tried to progress with my own imported map, but it crashes at river unless I put them to the bottom and at provinces.

    Could you make it possible for the resizing to work on imported maps aswell? That'd be neat actually.

    Because the problem is memory.
    - PATRVM - For Crusader Kings II
    SCVTA / TERRÆ - Shields / Map
    - Both Dead

  16. #316
    Lt. General Keanon's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India Company Collection
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldMagickaMajesty 2
    March of the EaglesPenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuShip Simulator ExtremesSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWar of the RosesRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Norden
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloGoodSir View Post
    Nice, I'm glad that you have this. Divine Wind doesn't use the heightmap so I'll just make a light gray/dark gray map like you said. I already have the river map and I will do the terrain myself, so I'm not worried about that. I am just looking to get the map to load successfully. I'm just making a map of North America based on the Victoria II map but improved in terms of terrain, river placement, provinces, etc... and I'm eliminating the rest of the world since my mod focuses on North America.

    I'll finish my map up in a few weeks and then I'll see about importing it. Thanks.
    The height map is used for rivers and terrain, but if you will be drawing those yourself it's obviously not needed no.
    - PATRVM - For Crusader Kings II
    SCVTA / TERRÆ - Shields / Map
    - Both Dead

  17. #317
    Sergeant iontom's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindKing Arthur II

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    85

    can't pass day 1?

    Firstly, I haven't had any problems with the map generator but I have run into issues getting the game to play.

    I've been trying to start a play test to look into events, but I have had issues getting the game to start. The only scenario I can get to start is 1453 Vanilla. When the game starts, it crashes after the first day. I don't think its related to events. I have no idea what's causing it and can't find any pattern other than the time passing by for a day. I tried to debug in visual basic, this is all it spit out:


    > eu3game.exe!0076154e()
    [Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for eu3game.exe]
    eu3game.exe!00763056()
    eu3game.exe!0076f44a()
    eu3game.exe!0073fc18()
    eu3game.exe!0073fc2c()
    eu3game.exe!00760485()
    eu3game.exe!00739a49()
    kernel32.dll!76c714d1()
    eu3game.exe!0086f977()
    eu3game.exe!00776f64()
    user32.dll!759e6cea()
    user32.dll!759e7212()
    user32.dll!759e71be()
    user32.dll!759e71f9()
    user32.dll!759ea484()
    uxtheme.dll!730e0b64()
    uxtheme.dll!730e22c3()
    user32.dll!759e61d3()
    user32.dll!759ea524()
    user32.dll!759ea484()
    eu3game.exe!0087330b()
    eu3game.exe!0086e68a()
    eu3game.exe!005509b8()
    eu3game.exe!007cb942()
    eu3game.exe!00776fdb()
    eu3game.exe!00873179()
    eu3game.exe!008805f4()
    kernel32.dll!76c73677()
    ntdll.dll!77c19f42()
    ntdll.dll!77c19f15()

    Has anybody else encountered the same problem? Or have any idea where/how to start debugging something like this? Maybe it has something to do with the histories.

    Or would it be best to try and migrate assets from DW or a simple mod. I'm a little fresh with this stuff but will try things slowly

  18. #318
    Major nom's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tiundaland
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by iontom View Post
    Wow, I'm very impressed. This is all so incredible. You've managed to keep me distracted from work all day! When I looked at the complexity of the planet renderer my brain melted a little bit: http://libnoise.sourceforge.net/exam...plexplanet.png

    But you're using a much more approximately scaled set of modules to render here. You just have two source modules and the control module? I'd say your continents look great in game with just those few, it's not like you're rendering a full sized world for 3D landscape software.

    And Voronoi diagrams! I've never heard of that before, although I had heard the story of John Snow using mathematical geospatial models to track cholera. That's some very awesome geometry! It very much reminds me of some of the stuff covered in an economic geography class I took once. How do you determine the placement of the random points? Is there any preference towards coastline, rivers and/or latitude? Would the distribution be able to create low density areas (Siberia/Sahara) and high density (Most of Europe)? Also, have you loaded an Earth map before to test the province scripts? I'd be willing to try tonight. I'd think that being able to reproduce good/believable provinces on an Earth map would be the best litmus for applying it to random maps.

    Thanks for sharing though! Truly fascinating stuff!
    I had to keep the number of modules down to avoid the simulation time getting out of hand.

    I don't control anything more than the density of the Voronoi cells. The map is spherical as well so the provinces at the top and bottom tends to be a little bit larger because of the projection.
    If you take a look at land.lua you can see that there are two different modules with different density for the provinces to get the effect of densely and sparsely populated areas of the world.

  19. #319
    Major nom's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tiundaland
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloGoodSir View Post
    Nice, I'm glad that you have this. Divine Wind doesn't use the heightmap so I'll just make a light gray/dark gray map like you said. I already have the river map and I will do the terrain myself, so I'm not worried about that. I am just looking to get the map to load successfully. I'm just making a map of North America based on the Victoria II map but improved in terms of terrain, river placement, provinces, etc... and I'm eliminating the rest of the world since my mod focuses on North America.

    I'll finish my map up in a few weeks and then I'll see about importing it. Thanks.
    Just remember to set the amount of rivers to 0, otherwise the map creation will be a very long experience. (Rivers use the height gradient to find the ocean)

  20. #320
    Major nom's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tiundaland
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by Keanon View Post
    I think what he means is in map creation, not when trying to enter the game.

    I've tried to progress with my own imported map, but it crashes at river unless I put them to the bottom and at provinces.

    Could you make it possible for the resizing to work on imported maps aswell? That'd be neat actually.

    Because the problem is memory.
    I will look into this. If the map is flat and the continent is large then the river will have a hard time finding the ocean and it might very well crash for memory reasons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts