• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HJ Tulp

General
22 Badges
Jan 19, 2002
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
One thing I really miss in HoI2 is that when you can finally build MOT or Mechs you are still stuck with all those infantry divisions. Disbanding them is an option but thatś such a waste. Is it possible to have the option to upgrade your infantry units to motorised infantry or mechanised infantry units?

Much obliged :)

Mil->Inf->Mot->Mec is the chain that makes the most sense. Imho.

BC->CV, CA->CVL & Transport -> Convoy -> CVE might also work.

In an Ideal world they would also be reverisble. All ones ofcourse at a great IC cost no matter of direction.

For land units they only make sense if Experience is retained, for naval units It shouldn't.

Another cool idea might be if you could turn your badly damaged Mec/Mot back into a Inf raising its strength (since it no longer relies on vehicles and those would be destroyed first). Would have to be balanced from a manpower prespective though.

Agreed, but why stop at simply upgrading INF to MOT or MEC? You should be able to upgrade MOT to MEC, and MEC to ARM as well.
Things is, INF, MOT and MEC are all infantry units. The difference between them is not much greater then that between a '39 INF division and a '41 IN Division. ARM division fight very differently though. Maybe CAV to ARM?

Things is, INF, MOT and MEC are all infantry units. The difference between them is not much greater then that between a '39 INF division and a '41 IN Division. ARM division fight very differently though. Maybe CAV to ARM?

CAV already transforms into helicopters down the line, so that whouldnt make sense. I agree with you that MOT and MEC shouldnt be capable of turning into ARM. Thats just senseless.

CAV already transforms into helicopters down the line, so that whouldnt make sense. I agree with you that MOT and MEC shouldnt be capable of turning into ARM. Thats just senseless.

Does it make sense that CAV transfroms into AIRCAV? Isn't AIRCAV simply Airmobilie?

Instead of ridiculing something you obviously know nothing about, perhaps your time would be better spent looking into the histories of, say, some Waffen-SS divisions? You know, units that went from infantry regiment to divisions, to motorized division, to mechanized division, to panzer division. ;)

DeathDemon said:
Instead of ridiculing something you obviously know nothing about, perhaps your time would be better spent looking into the histories of, say, some Waffen-SS divisions? You know, units that went from infantry regiment to divisions, to motorized division, to mechanized division, to panzer division.

true, i thought of the leichte divisions. and some tank divisions were cav before like the 1. Pz div of germany.

Instead of ridiculing something you obviously know nothing about, perhaps your time would be better spent looking into the histories of, say, some Waffen-SS divisions? You know, units that went from infantry regiment to divisions, to motorized division, to mechanized division, to panzer division. ;)
I don't think I've been ridiculling anything. I knew that W-SS divisions were changed all the time but I was under the impression that such things happened when those divisions were badly damaged. Did other nations transform Mechanized dvisions into armored divisions?

Ofcourse there is a sort of logic in transforming a MEC into a ARM as an ARM division usually is a mechanized Regiment with 2 armored regiments and things like that.

Yea, CAV turning into MOT makes sense. But (up/down)grading them to INF sounds a bit weird. Why create CAV if you could just have gone for the INF in the first place?

You might start with them.

we had that discussion somewhere in the beginning but i think we came to the conclusion that it was just impossible to balance it correctly with upgrading from version to version.

chains were

cav->mot->mec
mil->inf

problems arose what to do when going from cavalery to mecanized, if to make a stop at mot and how much should it cost, and what is it when you have a level 5 cav and you upgrade to a level 1 mot with worse stats and some serious other problems like differences in MP demand when implementing that. that issue is at the moment burried at the archives and will propably stay there until a clean and good solution arrives

we had that discussion somewhere in the beginning but i think we came to the conclusion that it was just impossible to balance it correctly with upgrading from version to version.

chains were

cav->mot->mec
mil->inf

problems arose what to do when going from cavalery to mecanized, if to make a stop at mot and how much should it cost, and what is it when you have a level 5 cav and you upgrade to a level 1 mot with worse stats and some serious other problems like differences in MP demand when implementing that. that issue is at the moment burried at the archives and will propably stay there until a clean and good solution arrives
Isn't it possible to make upgrading optional? A button that says that a division is available for upgrading to MOT/MEC or the next INF level?

Isn't it possible to make upgrading optional? A button that says that a division is available for upgrading to MOT/MEC or the next INF level?

yeah thought about that but did not found any proper soultion. also what should happen if you hit that button. goes the unit to the pool/production queue or just magicly changes its appearences like this would work as an upgrade?

Yes, thats what I thought of aswell.

I always envisioned such a feature to be implemented the following way:

A button that you actively click to upgrade the division (one at a time). This would compare the ICdays invested in the current model with the ICdays in the target model. Say you got a Mot at 1500 ICdays and want to upgrade it to a Mec at 2500 ICdays. You thus pay the 1000 ICdays missing as well as some extra fee of say 500ICdays, the division is removed from your game and put into the buildqueue as a Mec div retaining its previous experience.
That way would also be a good way to let people keep their lighttank divisions and have controll over the process.

Ofcourse Im not aware of the engine limitations at all. But good to know you have explored this possibility.