• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
SUENIK THE BELEAGUERED
CHAPTER 56 - ABOULGHARIB - MEDICAL GENIUS!
(1158-1159)

Author's note: the new court artist is currently under the weather and not feeling too well. Therefore for this update you will have to put up with boring screen captures.

The nurseries (or "hell's spawning pools" as I've come to refer to them) continue to adequetly provide future generations with blood thirtsy sociopaths and scheming deviants.

979.jpg

982.jpg

987.jpg

991.jpg

Can you spot the odd one out?

Actually, in retrospect, Smbat is probably the scariest of them all. Take a closer look - he's "merciful". That means that he's put a load of those little monsters in positions where they've had to beg him for mercy and he has become famed for it! Therefore he probably is owed favours and debts of gratitude by most of tomorrow's tyrants. He's the best connected kid in Greater Suenik and a future criminal overlord!

Or am I just being paranoid?

Meanwhile, the malaria continues to spread...

980.jpg

...and spread...

985.jpg

In fact, it affects the former King of Nubia's daughter so badly that she's struck blind!

986.jpg

None the less, she continues to be an effective diplomat. I'll keep her as a back up to my current chancellor. Last time we saw her she was a wee bit stressed. Regular readers will know that as a rule this is Gardman-Aghbania short-hand for "about to mentally implode and devolve into a gibbering maniac who will proceed to slaughter all of those around her".

983.jpg

Of course, rules are made to be broken. I am so pleased by this turn of events that I send her out to woo a variety of counts and princes that live nearby who are currently without a liege.

990.jpg

Retha and I have a chat. She now knows what "must...try...harder" means.

Toros III comes of age and I have to decide how to have him educated.

981.jpg

Let's see... Toros I went to the army and ended up behaving like Jack the Ripper, Toros II went to the army and ended up becoming Toros the Traitor, so I decide "third time's the charm" and send this little chap off to the court. Let's hope he learns to behave himself, huh?

Does anyone remember Grigor the prodigy? Well prodigious as he was he doesn't seem to have been able to keep his darling wife happy. She accuses him of being a "monster" (which is fair comment to be honest) and then throws herself from the parapets of the castle, declaring that she'd rather die than bear him a child as monstrous as he is.

988.jpg

Woah. Fairly dramatic stuff. I take Grigor aside for a little chat. After all, I recently lost my darling wife so I know what he's feeling (which reminds me - I'd best check on the German in the tower and see how she's doing. Maybe the bats have got her?). He starts to weep and falls to his knees. I'm slightly taken aback by this display of emotion and ask him what's wrong. Looking up with red, puffy eyes, the tears leaving wet trails down his cheeks he wails to me that he's eternally sorry for the mess Burudukan made when she hit the castle courtyard, that he would never do anything so disloyal himself and that he's willing to pay to replace any stained cobbles.

I smile nervously, assure him that everything is fine and leave.

I then arrange a marriage to someone similiarly unhinged in the hope that their competing psychoses will cancel each other out.

989.jpg

Later on I get more news from the spawning pools - apparently two new children have learned to adapt to their surroundings.

992.jpg

993.jpg

...and to prove it's not just deranged maniacs amongst the young of Suenik today, one bright little chicken goes digging in her daddy's library and finds this:

994.jpg

No more malaria for you Arina!

Naturally I claim this discovery for myself and declare myself the saviour of Suenik!

995.jpg

Lo and behold...

996.jpg

Thank you! Thank you! Not only am I a consumate statesman and a cunning general, I am wise beyond the reckoning of most mortal men. The good people of Tabriz recognize this and declare that they all want to be just like me.

984.jpg

So - what now? I've humbled the Emperor of Byzantium, I've brought peace and prosperity to the Empire and I've banished a plague with the powerhouse that is my mind. What else is there to do.

Hang on - what's this in my pocket? A little piece of paper? Something that I've been too busy to look at recently?

That's right...

THE LIST.

Bet you all thought I'd forgotten about it...

There will be a reckoning.

And there will be blood.

Next up - some hot list action! Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of Suenik - Land of the Beleaguered!

And there will be blood.

Next up - some hot list action! Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of Suenik - Land of the Beleaguered!

Poor Kanil.....

THE LIST.

Bet you all thought I'd forgotten about it...

There will be a reckoning.

And there will be blood.

About time, this is awesome :D Looking forward to it, the previous time the List was taken care of was special enough ;)

I wonder if any of the children in the nursery are on The List. Aboulgharib certainly has a prejudice towards them...

"There will be Blood" suits for any deed of the Gardman-Aghbanians by the way...;):D

Actually, in retrospect, Smbat is probably the scariest of them all. Take a closer look - he's "merciful". That means that he's put a load of those little monsters in positions where they've had to beg him for mercy and he has become famed for it! Therefore he probably is owed favours and debts of gratitude by most of tomorrow's tyrants. He's the best connected kid in Greater Suenik and a future criminal overlord!
And if the game doesn't cooperate, and make it so, I fully support any modding effort in order to create Don Smbat.

And if the game doesn't cooperate, and make it so, I fully support any modding effort in order to create Don Smbat.

This game? I've no doubt it will do so on its own, don't worry. :p

Ah, List time. This is going to be quite fun, I imagine. :D

Too quiet for far too long in Suenik!!! Out comes the list again!!! Woo Hoo!!
BTW: I hope that the court artist gets well soon. Perhaps some of Aboulgharib's curability skills will help her.......:)

Whoa, that Grigor has some serious mental problems. Though, on the other hand, it's hard to find someone in the Suenikian court who is actually mentally stable.
Glad to see that The List will be making a return soon.:)

Poor Kanil.....

What's this? I have... supporters?

No, I have followers. Minions even.

I have an army. I have... power.

Ah, yes. Come, Aboulgharib. I will crush you. Ah hah hah ha ha ha haaaa...

(Suenik's spawning pool might result in some Zerglings, though. That'd be a real problem.)

Poor Kanil.....

Poor Kanil nothing!

About time, this is awesome :D Looking forward to it, the previous time the List was taken care of was special enough ;)

It warms the cockles of my heart that you lot take so much joy in the mass slaughter of people's families...

I wonder if any of the children in the nursery are on The List. Aboulgharib certainly has a prejudice towards them...

Nah - Aboulgharib is just wary of them and slightly worried for Suenik's future. The List is there for people who have earned his personal ire.

"There will be Blood" suits for any deed of the Gardman-Aghbanians by the way...;):D

Yeah - I'm looking forward to a nice, pacifist king someway down the line.

It'll be an interesting change.

I may do this for chuckles at some point in the future :)

There will be bloody mercy.
And some more cleaning of bloodstains for the servants...

Aboulgharib's servants won't be doing the cleaning - that'll be the job for the relatives of those who have been Listed.

This game? I've no doubt it will do so on its own, don't worry. :p

You know, there's probably a lot of truth in that...

Too quiet for far too long in Suenik!!! Out comes the list again!!! Woo Hoo!!
BTW: I hope that the court artist gets well soon. Perhaps some of Aboulgharib's curability skills will help her.......:)

I shall pass on your good wishes to her. However, she is back to her happy, bouncy self. Needless to say I won't be getting her to illustrate the List shenanigans...

'This ain't no country for old men.' :rofl:

Hehe - reference unintentional!

Whoa, that Grigor has some serious mental problems. Though, on the other hand, it's hard to find someone in the Suenikian court who is actually mentally stable.
Glad to see that The List will be making a return soon.:)

Yeah - there's a severe genetic drift towards insanity there. It would probably help matters if I stopped marrying them to each other.

Finally catched up with you excellent AAR. Your saga about murderous-heathen-pious-valorous-very amiable Gardman-Aghabia dynasty entertains me greatly.

Welcome aboard and I'm glad you're enjoying it!

What's this? I have... supporters?

No, I have followers. Minions even.

I have an army. I have... power.

Ah, yes. Come, Aboulgharib. I will crush you. Ah hah hah ha ha ha haaaa...

(Suenik's spawning pool might result in some Zerglings, though. That'd be a real problem.)

Kanil, we've been over this before. Don't make me get the cheese out... or the cheesy Zerglings...

Aboulgharib's servants won't be doing the cleaning - that'll be the job for the relatives of those who have been Listed.

Attention Kanil, Hannibal X and Fookison - please inform your family that they should reserve some serious time in their schedules for cleaning :D

Mine relatives are spared due to the minor degree of my crime and my sycophant nature towards Aboulghraib, Shahanshah and Emperor of All He Surveys.

I shall call this "doing a Toros".

Hannibal, you're off the leash this time...

Congrats Iain, for winning the Comedy AARward for Q4 2009. I'd say keep up the good work, but I know you will anyway.

Congrats Iain, for winning the Comedy AARward for Q4 2009. I'd say keep up the good work, but I know you will anyway.

Likewise to you my friend!

Congrats, Iain Wilson on your award!! BTW: I made the list? I made the LIST!!!!! Hang on here, I vote for your AAR, you get the award and you put me on the list!?! Whats with that???:D:rofl::D