• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sep 6, 2009
I been working on a texture project, I don't have the ability to post attachments. So I will have to give you folks a link to a topic where this idea originated over at Pirates ahoy. http://forum.piratesahoy.net//index.php?/topic/14682-eic-texture-modding/ I would like to do is a mod like Pirates Bay but instead your in control of the Royal Navy. and you bail out the EIC. where do I change the ship in the menu to the British one I made. and how to make the Textrures in game stop being random and become Faction specific. Any help will be great

Frigate
shot_5_9_2009__21_40_57_A.jpg

shot_5_9_2009__21_36_30_A.jpg

Halifax Schooner
shot_4_9_2009__13_31_38_A.jpg

shot_4_9_2009__13_24_14_A.jpg

I can smell the salt air just looking at them !! Is the Frigate correct ? Shouldnt the captains quarters be higher, producing a poop deck ? You work is appreciated, keep it up !! My interest was beginning to wane till I saw these.

I can smell the salt air just looking at them !! Is the Frigate correct ? Shouldnt the captains quarters be higher, producing a poop deck ? You work is appreciated, keep it up !! My interest was beginning to wane till I saw these.
Thanks for the kind words. The frigate is correct. That really surprised me. It based of the drafts of a Continental frigate. The schooner is base off the plans of the Halfax schooner. I hope to get these out soon.

Thanks again for all the kind words. what I will end up doing is texture sets for British(yellow), French(red), American(white), and a 4th maybe Spanish(you guys can help me out with choosing this one). And release the textures to replace the current ones. And hopefully in the future be able to make them faction specific. And maybe have some missions based around the Napoleonic Wars with a little privateering.

I would suggest (Blue) for the spanish. Some of the spanish galleons had their prow and upper siding painted blue. The Nuestra Senora de la oura y limpia Concepcion, a 1641 galleon and others come to mind.

By the time of the Napoleonic wars, the Spanish seem to have red as the main trim colour, with several ships being black. Perhaps faction specific colours should be avoided, the better to make the game colourful ?

Thanks again for all the kind words. what I will end up doing is texture sets for British(yellow), French(red), American(white), and a 4th maybe Spanish(you guys can help me out with choosing this one). And release the textures to replace the current ones. And hopefully in the future be able to make them faction specific. And maybe have some missions based around the Napoleonic Wars with a little privateering.

If you wish to get the British napoleonic yellow correct, it is a very wierd colour, a pale yellow with a strong tint of golden sand. What will happen to captured ships ? Will they stay the original owners colour ?

Thanks for the kind words. The frigate is correct. That really surprised me. It based of the drafts of a Continental frigate. The schooner is base off the plans of the Halfax schooner. I hope to get these out soon.

Whilst I did not doubt what you said, I was a bit shocked by how unorthodox the frigate looked, so I did some research. Smaller earlier frigates with about half the number of guns as depicted, had flat decks since the building of the first frigates. Some large frigate designs, by the time of Late Napoleonic wars, looked exactly like yours. The steam powered "modern" warships called Frigates were so named because they had this flat deck.

A note of interest, one of the US Constitution class large frigates (sorry I forget which) had the Captains quarters increased in size to the extent that it handled very poorly in good weather. It was the custom at the time for the captain to arrive early before completion and have a say in the building of the ship, even though he may not have been a sailor. In this case, the captain insisted on a larger quarters, and ruined the ship.

By the time of the Napoleonic wars, the Spanish seem to have red as the main trim colour, with several ships being black. Perhaps faction specific colours should be avoided, the better to make the game colourful ?

colourful is a good way of putting it. I really was not to thrilled with the stock textures. So I wanted something more historic. Faction specific won't be happening anytime soon :( sadly. I also had an Idea of maybe bringing the HMS Surprise from Patrick O'Brian's books into the game and some story related missions. I know its a bit of fiction around actual events, it could be fun.:D

colourful is a good way of putting it. I really was not to thrilled with the stock textures. So I wanted something more historic. Faction specific won't be happening anytime soon :( sadly. I also had an Idea of maybe bringing the HMS Surprise from Patrick O'Brian's books into the game and some story related missions. I know its a bit of fiction around actual events, it could be fun.:D

Aya Aye, Captain, fun it is ! Even a simulation is still a game. If you need help with research, let me know.