+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 59 1 2 3 11 26 51 ... LastLast

Thread: A Validator for EU3

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries

A Validator for EU3

Sick of hunting typos for hours and hours in your files? Hunt no more (or rather, find them in seconds) with the Validator. It will scan all of your files (moddir support included) and report any problems it finds.

Current version: v1.2
    Released: 5 December 2012
    Download here

The Validator is no longer being actively developed for EU3.

NOTE: If you want to validate HTTT or IN, double-click on EnableOlderVersions.bat.

NOTE: This version requires the .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile!!!
    Download the Framework here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-ac39b33fd8ab

Important Note
    If there is interest, a new version of the Validator will be released with bugfixes and so on. If you are not satisfied with the current final version, please download this and report any issues you find. Please do this by 1 September 2014. Note: I will try to fix reported bugs, but there is no guarantee that they will be fixed.

Download the User Guide Here
    Last edited by Jamie550; 09-08-2014 at 23:37.
    ~Jamie

Download the Validator: Eu4 | Ck2 | March of the Eagles | Hoi3 | Victoria II | Eu3 | EU Rome | Sengoku

F-CEO of EUIV:MEIOU and Taxes gigau's Avatar
    96 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Deus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of WarParadoxian Order - 2015

Roaming zombishly... looking for icooooonsssss !
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

[Removed edition following release of v0.5]

Oh my God ! This is freaking awesome !

*settles down*

Although it lacks the part for decisions, events and missions, this tool is really good and useful. Thanks a lot (and many thanks to D3v1l for pointing me to this thread ).

What is needed exactely to have the validation of what is missing ?
    Last edited by gigau; 18-09-2009 at 16:06.
    • Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual •
    • If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...
    •
    • Europa Universalis IV •
    • MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<< •

M&T Subforum | M&T en Franηais | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    • Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3 •
    • Ainsi Je Frappe - the level 1 unit sprite revamp. •
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop
    • Awarded the SAS Award for Forum Dedication •
    • Vice-Zombiemaster of the Icon Zombie Club ! •

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    The main changes will need to be in Commands.txt and Triggers.txt.

One current error, for example, is "decisions\portugal.txt [country_decisions\remember_the_navigator\allow\has _discovered[1]] (32, 4): "367" is not a valid Continent."

The documents that I was working off of stated that the has_discovered has to be a continent, but this is apparently not the case. In Triggers.txt, there is an entry "Child = { Left = "has_discovered" Right = Continent }". Since a province number is valid as well, this would have to change to "Child = { Left = "has_discovered" Right = { Type = Continent Type = LandProvince } }" which will match a continent or land province.

Then there are a lot more triggers and effects that have not been put in the file yet. The only thing preventing the log from being filled with errors is the "Debug={}" clause at the end of many types (for example, CountryTrigger). If we remove the debug clause, we get errors about invalid node names like overlord, has_country_modifier, idea, and technology_group which are definitely valid. Someone then has to add all of these missing clauses into Triggers.txt and Commands.txt.

More details about how the files work are in "Information\Modding.txt" which gives most of the information needed though it is slightly outdated.
    ~Jamie

Download the Validator: Eu4 | Ck2 | March of the Eagles | Hoi3 | Victoria II | Eu3 | EU Rome | Sengoku

96 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Deus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of WarParadoxian Order - 2015

Blog Entries
    I understand. Actually, the "has_discovered" can apply to continents, land provinces and sea provinces.

If you allow me, i'm uploading an updated data EUII country file : the optional "regent" entry (with bool value) is authorized regarding monarchs.
    • Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual •
    • If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...
    •
    • MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<< •

M&T Subforum | M&T en Franηais | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    • Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3 •
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gigau View Post
    I understand. Actually, the "has_discovered" can apply to continents, land provinces and sea provinces.

If you allow me, i'm uploading an updated data EUII country file : the optional "regent" entry (with bool value) is authorized regarding monarchs.
    Go ahead, I don't mind at all.
    ~Jamie

96 games registered

Blog Entries
    OK, here it is.

In the country_event_list of the EUIII data countries file, what is the difference between "optional" and "child" ?
    Actually the problem is linked to the entry :
    Code:
    			Child = { Left = "decision" Right = { Type = CountryDecision Type = ReligionDecision } }
    The more i correct the decision names in a country history files (to match the event_modifier file), the more the validator finds bugs... any idea ?

EDIT : Regarding the decision stuff, my mistake... i messed up something

EDIT2 : New modification allowing the validator to accept the revolution_target entry in the country files.

EDIT3 : Updated the attached file in a post further down.
    Last edited by gigau; 05-09-2009 at 13:05.
    •

Blog Entries
    OK, here it is.

In the country_event_list of the EUIII data countries file, what is the difference between "optional" and "child" ?
    Actually the problem is linked to the entry :
    Code:
    			Child = { Left = "decision" Right = { Type = CountryDecision Type = ReligionDecision } }
    The more i correct the decision names in a country history files (to match the event_modifier file), the more the validator finds bugs... any idea ?

EDIT : Regarding the decision stuff, my mistake... i messed up something

EDIT2 : New modification allowing the validator to accept the revolution_target entry in the country files.
    Optional and Child are both defined in Core\Global.txt.

Code:
    		Optional = { MaxOccurs = 1 }
    		Child = { }
    By default, MinOccurs = 0 and MaxOccurs is about two billion. Optional overrides the default MaxOccurs to 1, and so an optional clause means that there can only be zero or one occurences of the child node.

I'm not sure what's wrong with the decision entry - is there anything special in the status box below the error box? I'm not sure what the event_modifier file has to do with the decision clause - shouldn't a decision be any country decision or religious decision?
    ~Jamie

96 games registered

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie550 View Post
    I'm not sure what's wrong with the decision entry - is there anything special in the status box below the error box? I'm not sure what the event_modifier file has to do with the decision clause - shouldn't a decision be any country decision or religious decision?
    In fact, it works ok, as far as i can see it. I just was mixing the decision title and the name of the modifier set by the said-decision. Sorry for the disturbance

EDIT : Except it won't accept decisions from the france.txt decision file, for instance... any ideas ? I've checked the script... but still the validator says there is a bug...
    Last edited by gigau; 05-09-2009 at 12:56.
    •

96 games registered

Blog Entries
    Added the possibility of setting and clearing global flags in the country history files.
    Last edited by gigau; 29-03-2010 at 18:13.
    •

Blog Entries

In fact, it works ok, as far as i can see it. I just was mixing the decision title and the name of the modifier set by the said-decision. Sorry for the disturbance

EDIT : Except it won't accept decisions from the france.txt decision file, for instance... any ideas ? I've checked the script... but still the validator says there is a bug...
    So you have "decision = <something from france.txt>", and that error is reported? It is probably something wrong with the decision file, was there no information in the status log?
    ~Jamie

96 games registered

Blog Entries
    So you have "decision = <something from france.txt>", and that error is reported? It is probably something wrong with the decision file, was there no information in the status log?
    Actually, the more i use your tool, the more i love it. I've just discovered the source of the issue i had overlooked in the status log.

New question :
    In the commands file, there is this entry :
    Code:
    Child = { Left = "add_core" Right = LandProvince }
    However, THIS is valid, but i can't get it to work :
    Code:
    Child = { Left = "add_core" Right = { Type = LandProvince Type = THIS } }
    •

Blog Entries

Actually, the more i use your tool, the more i love it. I've just discovered the source of the issue i had overlooked in the status log.

New question :
    In the commands file, there is this entry :
    Code:
    Child = { Left = "add_core" Right = LandProvince }
    However, THIS is valid, but i can't get it to work :
    Code:
    Child = { Left = "add_core" Right = { Type = LandProvince Type = THIS } }
    If you want to have a literal <THIS>, you would write <Literal = "THIS">. But since some people write this as <THIS> and others as <this>, you'd probably like to put <Type = LandProvince Literal = "THIS" Literal = "this"> instead. However, there is already in Eu3.gam.txt a type definition: <This = { Add = "this" Add = "THIS" }>. So you could just write <Type = LandProvince Type = This>.
    ~Jamie

96 games registered

Blog Entries
    If you want to have a literal <THIS>, you would write <Literal = "THIS">. But since some people write this as <THIS> and others as <this>, you'd probably like to put <Type = LandProvince Literal = "THIS" Literal = "this"> instead. However, there is already in Eu3.gam.txt a type definition: <This = { Add = "this" Add = "THIS" }>. So you could just write <Type = LandProvince Type = This>.
    Neat ! Thanks. You are easing my job so much.

New question (sorry ) :
    Would there be a way for it to also validate mission ? I got at least one buggy mission, and your validator would be helpful there.
    •

Blog Entries

Neat ! Thanks. You are easing my job so much.

New question (sorry ) :
    Would there be a way for it to also validate mission ? I got at least one buggy mission, and your validator would be helpful there.
    It is possible in theory, but slightly problematic. Missions have different scopes (country, neighbor_countries, our_provinces, etc) and they would either need province triggers and commands, or country triggers and commands. The workaround I did for EU Rome was to attach something written in managed code which injected a new node into the tree named <injected!CountryMission> or <injected!ProvinceMission> so the tree would look like <mission_name = { injected!CountryMission = { ... } }>. The Rome code looks like this:

Code:
    		MissionFile = {
    			Child = { Left = { Type = String } Right = MissionShim Checks = { MissionTransformer = { } } }
    		}

MissionShim = {
    			Optional = { Left = "injected!CountryMission" Right = CountryMission }
    			Optional = { Left = "injected!ProvinceMission" Right = ProvinceMission }
    		}
    The problem with using this is that MissionTransformer (the injector) is in package RomeCore. I'll send you a new dll and modified *.gam.txt files if you want to begin working on mission validation.

EDIT: These files should do:[removed] Actually, they won't. Better coming soon...
    EDIT2: Now these should work: http://www.mediafire.com/?5mzmmqjh5gn. Just unzip into your validator folder, unless you modified one of the .gam.txt files.
    EDIT3: No they won't, not completely. Trying again...
    EDIT4: Here it is (only Core\Audax.ClausewitzValidator.Extension.dll was changed from the above link): http://www.mediafire.com/?ddjkzz52gf0
    Last edited by Jamie550; 05-09-2009 at 16:16.
    ~Jamie

96 games registered

Blog Entries
    Sorry, i'm a slow learner : what should i do know ? copy the mission stuff from the Rome version ? If you could give me a few pointers, i guess i should be able to make it work as i did for events and decisions...
    •

Blog Entries
    Well, you first need to add the download from the above link. Next, in your Eu3.gam.txt file add <Include = "Eu3\Missions.txt"> to the <Includes> clause at the bottom. Next, copy the file from EuRome\missions.txt into Eu3\Missions.txt. Everything will probably work if you just change all <CountryEffect> into <CountryCommand> and <ProvinceEffect> into <ProvinceCommand>. If the two mission structures are similar enough (and they seem to be), it should work, otherwise you might have to modify the file a bit more.
    ~Jamie

96 games registered

Blog Entries
    Nice
    After a couple of trials and errors, i think i've found the little differences between EUIII and Rome mission structures.

I attach to this post the EU3 folder of the validator data directory, with the several corrections i've made. Let me stress that i haven't added and triggers or effects... so it's still on a to-do list. But at the least, i've removed "false bug reports".

Thanks again, Jaimie
    Last edited by gigau; 29-03-2010 at 18:13.
    •

96 games registered

Blog Entries

Question

Yet another question :
    There are effects in EUIII that are coded like this :

province_id = { discover = Bool}
    province_id = { secede_province = Tag }
    any_neighbour_country = { casus_belli = THIS }
    any_neighbour_country = { add_casus_belli = THIS }
    relation = { who = Tag/THIS value = Int }
    define_general = {
    name = "String"
    shock = Int
    fire = Int
    siege = Int
    maneuvre = Int
    }
    set_variable = {
    which = String
    value = Int
    }
    define_advisor = {
    type = Advisortype
    skill = Int
    }

How would i have them coded for validation ?
    •

Blog Entries
    Let's start with <any_neighbour_country = { casus_belli = THIS }>. The trigger becomes a new scope; that is, we want to check the right side of the clause as a country trigger. We do already have a type called CountryTrigger in Triggers.txt, so we can just write <Child = { Left = "any_neighbor_country" Right = CountryTrigger" }>. The validator will now act just as if the right side of <any_neighbor_country> was the trigger section of a country event.

Now, for <set_variable>. Here, we need to define another type which can have one <which> and one <value>. Then we can write <Child = { Left = "set_variable" Right = SetVariableClause }>. To define another type, we just put it in the Types clause of the Commands.txt file, just like CountryCommand and Province command.
    Code:
    SetVariableClause = {
    Single = { Left = "which" Right = String }
    Single = { Left = "value" Right = Int }
    }
    <define_advisor> is the same, except for the <type> clause. For a list of advisor types, there is a type called AdvisorType defined in Eu3.gam.txt, so we can write <Single = { Left = "type" Right = AdvisorType }> for that part.

Now, for province_id and its ilk. Their right sides are similar to any_neighbor_country - probably ProvinceTrigger. The left side is slightly different here. We want any land province (or maybe sea provinces as well?), so we cannot simply write the normal <Left = "literal">. Instead, we write <Left = { Type = LandProvince }>. By doing this, the validator will check every child node of a CountryTrigger clause and see if it is a LandProvince. In this way, the <Left = { ... }> clause is just like the <Right = { ... }> clause - you can have things like <Left = { Literal = "blah" Type = LandProvince }> and so on.
    ~Jamie

96 games registered

Blog Entries
    I think i'm getting the picture, many thanks. I'm working on the files...

Small question :
    We can use LandProvince... is SeaProvince usable too ? or can we add it, please ? Several triggers and effects can affect sea provinces.
    •

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 59 1 2 3 11 26 51 ... LastLast