• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Problems with Install.

This is what happened when I tried to initiate hoi3game.exe. Can anybody give me some help on what to do to fix the situation?

Mark

mark@mark-desktop:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Paradox Interactive/Hearts of Iron III$ wine hoi3game.exe
fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.OpenMP" (8.0.50727.762)
err:module:import_dll Library vcomp.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Paradox Interactive\\Hearts of Iron III\\hoi3game.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\Paradox Interactive\\Hearts of Iron III\\hoi3game.exe" failed, status c0000135
mark@mark-desktop:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Paradox Interactive/Hearts of Iron III$ fixme:advapi:SetEntriesInAclA 1 0x33f73c (nil) 0x33f774
fixme:advapi:SetSecurityInfo stub
fixme:advapi:SetEntriesInAclA 1 0x33f728 (nil) 0x33f770
fixme:advapi:SetEntriesInAclA 1 0x33f748 (nil) 0x33f790
fixme:system:SetProcessDPIAware stub!
fixme:dwmapi:DwmIsCompositionEnabled 0x33f098
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0xe5e8d8, overlapped 0xe5e8e0): stub
fixme:iphlpapi:GetAdaptersAddresses no support for IPv6 addresses

I haven't got a windows installation to test this against, but from what I can tell, I'm achieving the same speeds in wine that other people are reporting under windows, and I just followed the instructions on the first page, to the letter.

At my computer the game is really really slow with wine, with Vista I had a good speed.

Are there any tricks, to increase the gamespeed?

Make sure you have the latest driver for you graphics card, it can make a big difference in wine. It will probably always be a bit slower than windows though.

Hi, Thanks for the guide and I tried to follow it but I don't have the 'CD version' of HoI3, I got my copy as a download from GamersGate. In the Gamersgate download, 'Setup.exe' doesn't exist, the equivalent exe is 'autoplay.exe'. I attempted to load it through Wine and it loads the install splash screen, from which I click install. Then the "Launching DemoShield" screen appears for about one second and then nothing happens. Is there some other steps that need to be followed for the Gamersgate download version?

Hi, Thanks for the guide and I tried to follow it but I don't have the 'CD version' of HoI3, I got my copy as a download from GamersGate. In the Gamersgate download, 'Setup.exe' doesn't exist, the equivalent exe is 'autoplay.exe'. I attempted to load it through Wine and it loads the install splash screen, from which I click install. Then the "Launching DemoShield" screen appears for about one second and then nothing happens. Is there some other steps that need to be followed for the Gamersgate download version?

Download the CD version.

I used GG version to install on linux and had no problem. Download the game with the GG downloader and then run it (after finishing dl) again as you would the setup.exe with wine and it will start the install from the downloader.

Hrmm.. doesn't seem to be working for me. Dunno why.. I copied the Gamersgate installer files from my windows PC and ran them from the linux box. Not sure if it will make a difference but I will redownload the installation files from Gamersgate directly to the linux box on Monday. Will post the results later. Thanks for the comments so far though

Mods

Is it possible to install and play with mods under wine?
I would like to play Random Scenario Generator mod for HoI III but i can't install it.
According to output from terminal install file has wrong format.
Does all mods has *.mod extension and wont be able to install? Someone who has made this Random Scenario mod running?
It's getting boring playing just campaign, I hope there is some way to play with mods :)

post above mine looks like blantant spam..

In any case, I redownloaded the gg install files and was able to install HoI3.

I seem to be having the same issue as post #24 with crashing occuring when "Map Properly Initialised" screen appears. I have set the reg keys to have the correct megabyte size for videomemory and tried all the different display options (fbo, backbuffer, pbuffer) and they all result in the same outcome. Using 8600M GT 512Mb card with 190.42 drivers.

My setup worked fine in XP (when XP was my main OS) so I know my hardware is up to scratch.

Set PixelShaderMode to "enabled" and DirectDrawRenderer to "opengl" in HKCU/Software/Wine/Direct3D/
Also check WineHQ for other settings.

Re my post about mods: I had to make copy of Hearts of Iron III dir and change folders content manually, after that game starts with working mod ;)
Still dont know how to make mod visible for launcher...

A new, old, problem

Reinstalled wine and hoi3. Fixed the first problem I was having. Now I'm having a new one. Well, not really a new problem, it's an old problem, that doesn't seem to have an obvious fix posted. Has anyone come up with a definitive fix for post # 24. I am now getting a very similar error message.

Mark

According to line:
"fixme:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Add OpenGL context recreation support to SetDepthStencilSurface"
Maybe just try setting SetDepthStencilSurface to OpenGL with regedit in direct3d :p

According to line:
"fixme:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Add OpenGL context recreation support to SetDepthStencilSurface"
Maybe just try setting SetDepthStencilSurface to OpenGL with regedit in direct3d :p

Does it need to be OpenGL, or can it be opengl?
Maybe I need to post the entire error message. I think my beginning bits may be different than # 24. The end message is the same.

Mark

Full Error message that I am receiving

err:ddraw:DllMain Unknown default surface type. Supported are:
gdi, opengl
fixme:advapi:SetEntriesInAclA 1 0x33f73c (nil) 0x33f774
fixme:advapi:SetEntriesInAclA 1 0x33f728 (nil) 0x33f770
fixme:advapi:SetEntriesInAclA 1 0x33f748 (nil) 0x33f790
fixme:system:SetProcessDPIAware stub!
fixme:dwmapi:DwmIsCompositionEnabled 0x33f098
mmap() failed: Cannot allocate memory
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0xe5e8d8, overlapped 0xe5e8e0): stub
fixme:iphlpapi:GetAdaptersAddresses no support for IPv6 addresses
err:ddraw:DllMain Unknown default surface type. Supported are:
gdi, opengl
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32dfa8,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32e06c,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Add OpenGL context recreation support to SetDepthStencilSurface
fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_CreateIconFromANI Loading all frames for .ani cursors not implemented.
fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_CreateIconFromANI Loading all frames for .ani cursors not implemented.
fixme:dsalsa:IDsDriverBufferImpl_SetVolumePan (0x163e08,0x163d50): stub
err:eek:le:apartment_getclassobject DllGetClassObject returned error 0x80040111
err:eek:le:CoGetClassObject no class object {da4e3da0-d07d-11d0-bd50-00a0c911ce86} could be created for context 0x1
err:eek:le:CoGetClassObject class {2721ae20-7e70-11d0-a5d6-28db04c10000} not registered
err:eek:le:CoGetClassObject no class object {2721ae20-7e70-11d0-a5d6-28db04c10000} could be created for context 0x1
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32e73c,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Add OpenGL context recreation support to SetDepthStencilSurface
fixme:d3d9:Direct3DShaderValidatorCreate9 stub
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_CreateQuery (0x1c7728) Unhandled query type 4
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_CreateQuery (0x1c7728) Unhandled query type 5
wine: Unhandled exception 0xc000000d at address 0x7bc90073:0x00a6cf1e (thread 0009), starting debugger...
mark@mark-desktop:~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Paradox Interactive/Hearts of Iron III$ Process of pid=0008 has terminated
No process loaded, cannot execute 'echo Modules:'
Cannot get info on module while no process is loaded
No process loaded, cannot execute 'echo Threads:'
process tid prio (all id:s are in hex)
0000000e
0000001d 0
00000010 0
0000000f 0
0000001a
0000001f 0
0000001e 0
0000001c 0
0000001b 0
00000026 0
You must be attached to a process to run this command.
No process loaded, cannot execute 'detach'

This is what I'm getting

Mark

ok I had the exact same problem and before it started working I did two things:
1) My disc mounted location was not present in winecfg -> Drives tab. I added it (Add -> any drive letter -> type the location where your disc or image is mounted, for me it was /media/hoi3).
2) On graphics tab of winecfg i checked the 'Emulate virtual desktop' option.

I'm pretty much sure that it was the 1) that fixed this problem but who knows.

Step 2) fixes this problem. I had the same problem as post #24 and I omitted step 1) (mainly because I used the GG downloader and don't have a retail cd box version) but did step 2) and now the game loads to the menu screen fine.