• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sorry about the slight off-topic here but has anyone successfully run HOI3 on a macbook pro using Wine or any of its derivatives (crossover pro, crossover games)? I am getting an error at runtime that says the game requires Pixel Shader 2.0.

Thanks in advance for your help!

This has nothing to do with WINE. It means your graphics card it too old and does not have the technology required to run the game. Nothing you do with software is going to help, sorry.

I run Ubuntu x64 9.04, and ATI 4850 with proprietary drivers and Wine 1.1.31. I installed dotnet20 as adviced but skipped directx 9 as this was installed weeks ago for a different game. Installation and patching to 1.2 was successfull, but I can't play anyway because of a graphic problem. The main window showing the menu is mostly black with a smal part showing a button. This small area changes as I move around the mouse, but needless to say that I can't go on since I can't hit any button. Does anyone else had this problem?

This has nothing to do with WINE. It means your graphics card it too old and does not have the technology required to run the game. Nothing you do with software is going to help, sorry.

Thanks for your reply Kallocain. I believe you are mistaken about the hardware problem. I have an nvidia geforce 9400 and an nvidia geforce 9600 GT on this machine. HOI3 runs perfectly well on this machine under Windows, and under Linux using Wine. It's just the Mac port of WINE that won't run it.

Cant get wine to start hoi3game.exe

wine hoi3game.exe
fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.OpenMP"
Trying to load PE image for unsupported architecture (AMD-64)
err:module:import_dll Loading library vcomp.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Paradox Interactive\\Hearts of Iron III\\hoi3game.exe") failed (error c000007b).
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\Paradox Interactive\\Hearts of Iron III\\hoi3game.exe" failed, status c0000135
uitra@Markus-desktop:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Paradox Interactive/Hearts of Iron III$

Last edited:
New error in 1.3 beta patch

Hi,

I have a strange error with the 1.3 beta of hoi3 at launch:

fixme:actctx: parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.CRT" (8.0.50727.762)

My backup directory of hoi3 in 1.2 is still working. I think this dll is from Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable witch is installed.

Can someone help me ?

Hi,

I have a strange error with the 1.3 beta of hoi3 at launch:

fixme:actctx: parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.CRT" (8.0.50727.762)

My backup directory of hoi3 in 1.2 is still working. I think this dll is from Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable witch is installed.

Can someone help me ?

Set the windows version to win2000 before installing the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable (and dotnet and the other similar packages). Otherwise the installation seems to go fine but the files aren't registered properly.

For a quick fix look for the file mentionned (Microsoft.VC80.CRT) and copy it in the games directory.

Can't run HOI3 with Intel G45. It goes thru loading screens and plays music. When it gets to "Map properly initialized" the watch cursor changes into a hand, then back to watch, then back to hand. After that HOI3 freezes, the music keeps playing and the cursor can be moved but otherwise nothing happens.

On the terminal I get lots of errors like this:

I have installed HOI3 following this guide (thank you), the installation went seemingly problem free. I also installed patch 1.2, it gave one error about hoi3.exe being a locked file that it could not update, but otherwise it completed ok. This problem was the same before and after the patch.

My computer has an Intel G45 display controller built in on the motherboard. I don't know how much display memory it actually has or uses, BIOS gives options for 32, 64 or 128MB but also says they only matter for DOS. When I set the VideoMemorySize registry key to 128 HOI3 refuses to run, when I set it to 256 or 512 I get the freeze described above. According to Intel, the G45 should support Pixelshader.

Is there anything to try before going out to buy a new graphics card?

ok I had the exact same problem and before it started working I did two things:
1) My disc mounted location was not present in winecfg -> Drives tab. I added it (Add -> any drive letter -> type the location where your disc or image is mounted, for me it was /media/hoi3).
2) On graphics tab of winecfg i checked the 'Emulate virtual desktop' option.

I'm pretty much sure that it was the 1) that fixed this problem but who knows.

The game seems to be running perfectly, following this guide. Except that the music doesn't play. Any suggestions on how to get it working?

Works for me. Which distribution, sound server, sound card, speaker system are you using? Does the sound otherwise? Does sound work in other wine applications?

Works for me. Which distribution, sound server, sound card, speaker system are you using? Does the sound otherwise? Does sound work in other wine applications?

Ubuntu 9.04, no idea - whichever is default, Intel HDA, Sennheiser stereo headphones. Yep. Yep - the rest of the sound in HOI3 works, and in Trackmania Nations I get both sound and music (though the sound there has been a bit garbled since the last Wine update).
Does any of that help?

Ubuntu 9.04, no idea - whichever is default, Intel HDA, Sennheiser stereo headphones. Yep. Yep - the rest of the sound in HOI3 works, and in Trackmania Nations I get both sound and music (though the sound there has been a bit garbled since the last Wine update).
Does any of that help?

I'm not sure, but I haven't had any sound issues in 9.04 either. Have you considered upgrading to 9.10? Some of the pulseaudio (the default sound server) problems have been fixed.

Hi people! Im too having the problems of kaspar42 but even playing be the launcher the music not run. I using Debian Squeeze (But i only have two weeks on Linux world myself :D), Wine 1.1.32, Hda Intel. At the start i got this message:

fixme:dsalsa:IDsDriverBufferImpl_SetVolumePan (0x159d18,0x15c718): stub

I think this have something related to problem. But i don't have idea what i can do to fix it, and i think maybe is this version of wine because i needed to install libmpg123 to support mp3 on wine.

TANKS!!! < :wacko: for help and sorry for my english.

I think Debian requires you to install codecs from third-party repositories to allow playback of non-Free formats (such as mp3, which is what HOI3 uses).

Well, I have tested HOI 3 (Steam) with Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic, Wine 1.1.31 and Patch 1.3 and all works find, in fact I play in windowed mode and goes really smoothly. Probably the only "problem" is that if I Alt-TAB the game wont return, however it wont crash, only way to close is "kill -9".