• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You voted for Crusader Kings 2, didn't you? C'mon, you can admit it.

spvuq9.jpg

We must have it, precioussss.... we neeedddssss it....

Very nice, I'll buy it on release even if my pc doesn't run it yet...
I also would recommend looking at the consumer eyecandy megathread, and possibly give some feedback, since that whole thread is brainstorming about ways to make the game more marketable, and thus, more profitable.

Fredrik Universalis - be the CEO of a small Swedish computer games company and chart its progress to world domination.

Oh lord, I was taking a drink when I read this - you owe me a new keyboard now! ;)

Out of curiosity, Victoria may have had a horrible launch, but how as it done after launch? Does it still sell okay on Gamersgate compared to other older projects like (the Holy Grail) Crusader Kings?

I think I remember hearing something like that about some of Stardocks games? That they don't have huge launches like the big AAA titles, but they sell steadily over much, much longer periods of time, and they're still very profitable because of that.

In order to save your hair you just have to make sure that new players will be discouraged by the lack of any possibility of learning this game quickly, e.g. by not including a proper manual or tutorial and thus making the game intransparent, just like the first Victoria. :p

In order to save your hair you just have to make sure that new players will be discouraged by the lack of any possibility of learning this game quickly, e.g. by not including a proper manual or tutorial and thus making the game intransparent, just like the first Victoria. :p

I learnt how to play this game as it was supposed to be played via the manual, what on earth are you talking about? I read it one afternoon and understood everything I had not understood so far.

I learnt how to play this game as it was supposed to be played via the manual, what on earth are you talking about? I read it one afternoon and understood everything I had not understood so far.

No, it absolutely must have a really good, interactive tutorial, which actually runs you through the functions. Its too complex a game not to have one.

No, it absolutely must have a really good, interactive tutorial, which actually runs you through the functions. Its too complex a game not to have one.

Of course with the tutorial. I was talking regarding the manual. And please no narrative tutorial as in HoI3. It was fun, for the first 10 minutes...

I learned it without tutorial or manual. Beat that!

If it follows the formula most people scream about on this forum (we want more pops, more provinces, more army types, more resources...), it won't be successful, I'm afraid... Maybe Paradox should really consider changing its current philosophy towards not only automatization, but a certain reliance on game mechanics that can only be influenced, not controlled.

From my point of view, Victoria can be a great seller only if it manages to become the game that "allows you to build a national state". Meaning its political, ideological and cultural features should be more important than in Victoria 1.

a) Introduce head of government/head of state names... at least for the most important nations.
b) Emphasize the national aspect of the period.
c) Transform the peace years into a period dominated by reforms (more and less important than the ones in Vicky 1), inner politics and "Great Power" diplomacy and not by trading or promoting pops.
d) Don't just make more provinces; at a certain level, quantity becomes a burden.
e) Historical atmosphere. Playing France should not resemble playing the US.
f) Making pops into factors, not actors. Many people are satisfied only to see a list of people living in their state, ordered by ethnicity/religion/militancy/ideology, capable of being influenced by reforms, events, immigration, famine etc...

I do like the head of government & head of state ideas. Even if it is just like in Hearts of Iron where all there is is a name that does not seem to mean anything it would help imersion and make the game more educational (as long as it changes when it should, if France still has Louise Philipe by 1923 that would be a problem. Although I would prefer a Hearts of Iron II picture as well as that leader providing + prestige or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.