• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it follows the formula most people scream about on this forum (we want more pops, more provinces, more army types, more resources...), it won't be successful, I'm afraid... Maybe Paradox should really consider changing its current philosophy towards not only automatization, but a certain reliance on game mechanics that can only be influenced, not controlled.

From my point of view, Victoria can be a great seller only if it manages to become the game that "allows you to build a national state". Meaning its political, ideological and cultural features should be more important than in Victoria 1.

a) Introduce head of government/head of state names... at least for the most important nations.
b) Emphasize the national aspect of the period.
c) Transform the peace years into a period dominated by reforms (more and less important than the ones in Vicky 1), inner politics and "Great Power" diplomacy and not by trading or promoting pops.
d) Don't just make more provinces; at a certain level, quantity becomes a burden.
e) Historical atmosphere. Playing France should not resemble playing the US.
f) Making pops into factors, not actors. Many people are satisfied only to see a list of people living in their state, ordered by ethnicity/religion/militancy/ideology, capable of being influenced by reforms, events, immigration, famine etc...

Last edited:
Heh. I was going to pre-order anyway.

Btw, I can't believe how open Paradox is about its decision making!

As you have taught to all of us, it's not just a question of gold... you need also prestige, leadership... and not increasing your badboy! :rofl:

paradox_event = {

id = 0001

is_triggered_only = yes

title = "EVTNAME0001"
desc = "EVTDES0001"
picture = "pi"

option = {
name = "EVTOPTA0001" # Our next game is Victoria 2
ai_chance = { factor = 100 }
prestige = +100
}
option = {
name = "EVTOPTB0001" # Let's make profit with strategy for dummies!
gold = +10
badboy= +50

}

This decision is one of the kind that makes of Paradox something special (plus awesome stuff, of course). I hope to see someone preparing for shaving in a few months...

Last edited:
Correct. I see it as a win-win situation. Either I keep my hair, or a good profit :D
What if the profit is smaller than what you'd have to pay for a haircut? ;)

Also, how can you be sure that the dev. team won't work for free just to spite you? :D

In any case, that you a) in effect accept a project that you think will fail economically and that you b) bring something to the table except whining when you concede is admirable and impressive to say that least. Good show!

So in brief; I think this project never will see profit (reason is simple Vic1 was a terrible launch). Johan thinks it will. Johan and his team have the responsibility to create a good game and of course we hope that you will buy it since this was the most voted-for title in our poll.
Just insist on manual pop-manipulation and an increase in micromanagement to add vital "historical details" scaling by number of provinces and your head should be home safe.

In case of failure, just force the team to work on Bengali Universalis or that fantasy/space game I always jokingly ask for in the yearly "what will Paradox do next" spam threads and I guarantee that you'll have at least one sale of the next product - two if going for Bengali Universalis since Blade! will buy it too. (As well as possibly going bankrupt, but surely that's a small price for revenge).

To guarantee success, rename Victoria 2 to something like "Victoria's Secret: An Encounter Under the Sun" and consider using marketing tricks from the noob?

Last edited:
What if the profit is smaller than what you'd have to pay for a haircut? ;)

Just do as Ingvar Kamprad does. Cut yourself in Vietnam.

An interesting and amusing glimpse into the inner workings of Paradox. Thanks Fredrik, you know we'll all hold you to this promise :)

To guarantee success, rename Victoria 2 to somehing like "Victoria's Secret: An Encounter Under the Sun"...
My new favourite title. Although I'm not sure about the type of poster it will bring to the forums...

Correct. I see it as a win-win situation. Either I keep my hair, or a good profit :D

Why do I have this feeling this thread will disappear and you will suddenly claim to have supported Vicky 2 the whole time and claim at least part of the credit for it's profit if it does turn a profit?

This is totally hilarious! I'm so going to convince everyone I know off buying this game..... Oh wait :D

Anyway nice, would be interesting to know if you got any sales or profit/deficit statistics for EU3 or HoI3 yet.

Why do I have this feeling this thread will disappear and you will suddenly claim to have supported Vicky 2 the whole time and claim at least part of the credit for it's profit if it does turn a profit?

That's why i have saved it to my computer.
Muhahahaha

ok, everyone listen up, we all need to buy at least 2 copies of vicky 2! :D

I foresee the (*ahem*) CEO announcing a wonderful, exciting Paradox summer sale starting just a bit early next year, just in time to commemorate the release of the exciting Victoria 2 project. All games, including Vicky 2, 50% off! Buy now! No, I'm not doing this to drive down profits! Why would I do that! This is just to help all our fans welcome in a great summer season! No! Really! I just love all the fans! No! It has nothing to do with me shaving my head! It's just a happy coincidence! Why are you all saying this stuff to me?

;)

This is one of the reasons that Paradox is the only company I describe myself as a fan of that doesn't own a sports team!

Its fantastic to see that all parts of the team have a say in the decision making process, as well as of course the fans.

Although it will be amusing to see some shaved head photos, I hope the Victoria 2 is profitable purely because of the hard work that will undoubtedly go into the game. The first was one of the most under appreciated games I know about!

These are not the droids you're looking for... (need to work on the hand wave)

:)

I will only buy it if they make it any good. If it's as bad as HoI3, they won't get a penny.

I like your tactics. After your wife convinces you to shave your head you come up with this mastermind plan to trick more forum users into buying Vicky 2. You pretend you don't have faith in the gameand promise to shave your head and post pics of it. You knew more people would buy the game because of this. In reality you were the person that said to the team: "Let's do Vicky 2!" Real smart :D

Oh, I'm SO buying Vicky 2. :D

Out of curiosity, what was your vote? Was it Crusader Kings 2, by any chance? Because, as much as I like Vicky, CK is still my favorite Paradox game... I'd like to see it some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.