• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Higher tariffs just makes your population unable to purchase some goods because they become too expensive.

Anyway, do you necessary have to implement different trade regions? If you want to make it possible for say Britain to blockade Germany's import of a certain goods, you should just be able to blockade the ports that receive the goods.

Higher tariffs just makes your population unable to purchase some goods because they become too expensive.

Anyway, do you necessary have to implement different trade regions? If you want to make it possible for say Britain to blockade Germany's import of a certain goods, you should just be able to blockade the ports that receive the goods.

no, but, Axel, i think it's not a matter of blockading, it's a matter of prices. if i am very good at producing machine tools my population may profit of good prices to build trains or whatever, but if i my production (offer) has to attend the rest of the world demand i might not feel very happy to have that interference in my prices even if no machine tools get exported because of high domestic demand. Moreover, and most important, if i need to import iron to produce steel i have to secure a good supplier and that is the key for a proper justification of naval superiority to ease markets and trade routes control.

You didn't try the expansion, did you?

No I didn't. I think I was living in another country when it came out, and never really had an interest after I got back. It sounds like a big improvment though, because the economic model was a game breaker for me. For example, as someone else mentioned, there was absolutley no representation of finance in the game, yet finance was the most important 'industry' in 19th C Britain.

Regarding RGOs

NOTE: Long post ahead. :)

Now, this was an area that I really, really, really would like to see having an overhaul.

The "one-province-one-resource" system has it's merits, of course. It is simple and straightforward - hardly can cause a mess.

But... you are playing country X, and you want to develop a textile industry. Country X is located on or has a region which has the proper climate and soil for the growth of cotton. But in Vicky that means absolutely nothing; if it has grain, it will produce grain, period. No changes allowed.

IMHO, this is worth a redesign. As the empires grew and expanded, they would select which crops their colonies would grow, often supplanting other products more essential to the native populations - coffee, sugar, spices and rubber are very good examples.

My first idea would be to allow the player to choose which products he wants to develop in his domains (as long as he/she meets the necessary requirements such as proper land and climate), giving an even greater wealth of economic choices and gameplay. And that having the assorted effects on the populace, such as the aristocrats getting a MIL reduction due to the government developing cash crops, for example.

This would require a more sophisticated system regarding the game's geography, no doubt (such as to determine the RGO value considering land type/quality, climate and other factors... after all, a pasture that has 5.0 value could decrease or increase value if it is repurposed for a crop) - but I sincerely believe that would give great gameplay returns. :)

"But what about the minerals? Surely, you can't just decide which ones to produce... they are inherent to the land!"

That would be my second idea. :D

Since the player can't decide "hey let's start producing coal here", I do propose a "region"* based mineral industry. What? Yeah... For example, Rhineland has PLENTY of high grade coal and iron, so in the Rhineland "region" they would be a natural choice - plus both industries could be developed since there is a sizeable population to work at the mines and factories.

But since I love to complicate things, let's go to region Y that doesn't have a lot of people, thus obliging us which resource we need to prioritize. Region Y has two choices of mineral resources (1 and 2) at a start, and with the technological progression, a later one (let's put oil for the sake of argument). The player, needing more of the resource 1 at the start due to lack of efficiency and undeveloped industry, puts a focus in the extraction of resource 1. Later on, due to expansion or any other motive, it can shift production to resource 2, while allowing some production of resource 1. But then region Y is now the only region which has oil in his domain, and PLENTY of it to boot! So now he puts all focus on oil production due to the importance of this new resource.

Why this? Once again, to better reflect some economic dynamics and provide more gameplay options.

So how it would be managed?

Personally, something akin to the factory overview in a region would do it. You choose which crops you want to grow in that region, what resources should be explored and the people do the rest. I would say even to merge the overview with it, by providing efficiency bonuses to the factories that utilize the RGO - coal and iron proving a bonus to steel production and so on.

Hey, I noticed that you always refer to the player. What about the capitalists? How does your system correlate to it?

There are already plenty of ideas regarding a new system for the capis, such as a profit-minded thinking and building railroads with a focus on pure efficiency, for example. What I do have considered in regards to these ideas is that the capis would need an "ownership" system - essentially organizing and dividing privately owned from state owned factories, thus giving reason for capis taking an active interest to develop their investments in the area through building railroads, expanding the industry, enhancing RGOs, etc. autonomously.

Another point - enhancing them how?

I do believe that mere "expansion" was a bit too much abstract (and let's not forget the insta-worldwide enhancing inventions such as "Clean Coal" that turns Prussia into a beast), so, my idea in this regard is to make them upgradeable in a different fashion - allowing also aristos to be autonomous with their property. Say, the Aristo upgrades his property by creating tenancies that turn the farmers more productive for example. Instead of just expanding them, the RGOs go through upgrades, potentially increasing their base value as well. Also important is that their "upgradeability" should be differentiated depending where they are located - bringing mechanized agriculture to Africa should have a hefty cost.

If you read this far, thank you very much for the consideration. It is appreciated. :)
-----------

* - I use the term region in quotes because I do not know how they are going to be called. In this case, I refer to the group of provinces that would normally be inserted in a state according to Vicky.

Interesting idea. So how would putting a partial emphasis on a mineral resource work, would it be a slider looking something like this (below), where the player sets the emphasis, or am I misunderstanding somehow?

Coal <----------|----------> Iron

I guess that wouldn't work if there were 3 resources (like in your example)...

That sounds like a good idea, though maybe a bit too complicated for me :p.

Like you, I have always been bothered by the fact that each province only porduced one resource. It never really affected me because I always play as big nations but I did always feel sorry for, say, Serbia. "Poor Serbians only have two wheat farms and some iron :(" But, remember that in this new game, there will probably be over 14,000 provinces, so this should cease to be a problem. But its definately a great idea for Victoria I.

...hey. I'm sure I suggested this exact same idea a couple of days back.

>_>
<_<

Is there any real reason to only have one RGO per province? Why not make a province's "exploitable natural resource potential" (amount of arable or potentially arable land, extractable mineral deposits, standing forests etc.) a property of the province itself, and make RGOs a type of factory that can only be built where a province has the requisite potential?

...I kind of lost my train of thought in the middle of that. Does it make any sense?

Damn thee megathreads. *shakes fists*

:p

@ Rodrico Stak - Didn't think about sliders... In my mind I thought about perhaps an assignment button or something setting up priorities. But those could be used - your entire "labour" could be assigned in different sliders in % up to a total of a 100%*. Could work really well. :)

* - being an economics student that really dislikes the concept of using absolute values to measure abstract concepts, that is some concession. :D (j/k)

@Autonomous - HAH, dammit... I am sorry mate. I really haven't read that thread much. Would you please take a compensation cookie along some shared credits? (hey I did some thoughtworking on this post! ;))

More buildings in provinces

While I agree that industry and railways should be the main things being built in the game, I think there should be some other stuff too. Here are some suggestions...

OHgamer, this is just a suggestion, would you mind not merging every single thread into the ideas and suggestions? Its getting a bit cluttered, I dont see the harm in having seperate threads once they arent duplicates

Governor's office: Decreases revolt risk in region, also maybe boosts tax collection slightly
Prestige projects: OK, I know this isnt Civ, but it would be cool if under certain circumstances you could build things to give you a big prestige boost, such as the Eiffel Tower, Crystal Palace, etc
University: Improves literacy and research points
Airbase: self explanatory late game addition

I rather like the idea of the prestige boosting projects. Perhaps certain techs could unlock particular projects, with each country having a different name for it (Ex. Eiffel Tower in France, Statue of Liberty in US [yes, I know it was a gift from France], etc.). First country to build one gets a large prestige boost; later countries get lower boosts.

i agree with the engineering projects. i'd also add the train connection east-west in USA or transiberian train.

RedRalph, pointed out somewhere some industrial facilities like electric factories that i liked very much.

I'd like if you could build something that would function as a transport and communications hub, like Moscow was to Russia, but I cant think of a way that it could be properly implemented... it could serve to speed up mobilisation, etc

While I like the idea of boosting your prestige through monuments, I'd rather see this subsumed into a generic "prettify capital" action. There could be additional events for some countries that inform you that you built the Arc de Triomphe, the Eiffel Tower or whatnot when you reach a certain level of architectural sophistication in your capital.

What would be nice are smaller buildings that actually do something with the game mechanics, for example:

University: Increases literacy, research speed and CON of middle-class pops, slight increase in MIL of middle class pops
Opera: Increase "cultural rating", increases upper-class CON, decreases upper-class MIL and middle-class CON
Barracks: Decreases MIL, increases CON and decreases mobilization time
Harbour: Increases "trade efficiency", "tech spread" and colonization range
Hospital: Decreases MIL of middle- and lower-class pops and increases life rating
Sewers: Increases life rating and decreases chance of epidemic events
Palace (monarchies-only): Increases CON, increases diplomatic actions and has to be taken over by rebels for a revolution to succeed
Grand Train Station: Increases infrastructure a bit over the railroad level

Resources like iron and gold should clearly be handled differently from farming products and timber. You should be able to produce iron gold and coal and still have full agricultural production if the province contains those resources.

I'd like if you could build something that would function as a transport and communications hub, like Moscow was to Russia, but I cant think of a way that it could be properly implemented... it could serve to speed up mobilisation, etc

Technically the capital is in the HOI series, and to a lesser degree in Victoria too.

I'd like to see a big revamp of the world market too - getting rid of the infinite money, buy everything approach and actually making it work sensibly, just for starters. I'd suggest the following:

1. Introduce some control on the currency supply. You should be able to mint money when products are too cheap, so as to drive up prices, and reduce money supply if needed to lower them. The world market should NOT, under any circumstances, be the all-powerful cash god, handing out money to all the world. Maybe tie monetary control to some of the level 2 or 3 techs so that the western economies can manipulate it against the rest of the world....

2. Working with brunius' saliors idea, turn ports into a factory type. The higher the level of the factory, the more goods can be imported and exported from that province. This can then also be tied into the railroad infrastructure to determine how many goods can get to the ports for export and import, preventing you from super-charging china by 1870 (as only a tiny amount of it's goods can get to the markets). When a port is blockaded, its goods are not prevented from reaching the world market; however, the population must pay double price for all their goods (aside from those satisfied domestically) and the country only recieves half the value from it's trades.

3. Draw ALL factory supply from the world market, rather than from stockpiles, and dump all supply onto the market, forcing you to buy up stockpiles from there. This seems superfulous, but is importent for the next point.

4. Total reworking of tariffs. Tariffs should be applied to individual goods, not to general trade, allowing you to (just for example) tariff the poor's goods while subsidizing the capitalists. You would then be able to, for example, tariff foriegn steel, making your own cheaper for your factories and encouraging domestic sales. Oh, and make subsidies actually work this time.

5. Buildable 'shipping lanes' in the sea, representing merchant marine resources, anti-piracy measures etc, which would work and be priced much the same as railroads. Colonies not connected to a port by a shipping lane will suffer export and migration penalties. Shipping lanes, once again, would be vunerable to blockade, and would probably need a map overlay to show them.

These steps would remove the need for seperating bits of the world market, would make trade in general a hell of a lot more realistic, and would allow for trade wars to break out. It would also allow proper price collapsing, so that when the world is producing more grain than it can use the countries reliant on grain production will suffer, unlike in Vicky when it didn't matter because they got roughly the same price for the most basic goods regardless. Finally, it would generate a lot more power for a large, modern navy at the endgame.

I'd like to see housing being introduced as a means of encouraging migration. There's plenty of examples of capitalists building entire towns to encourage a workforce to move to their new factory, and more than a few examples of governments doing so too. If we have a HOI3 size map, then being able to turn a single province into a housing estate to encourage population to move there would be a nice touch....

from naselus ideas, i'd really give a key role to monetary policy. 2 events (silver and gold patrn) is a very poor simulation of the importance of the currency in this period. it should, for instance, have a shaded interface of its own activated partially with thos e events or something alike. or dunno, like uncapping some slider, something.
most economic crisis in XIX where directly related with crap monetary policies and the lack of cash.
in vicky1 one doesn't even get any crisis at all. that proves that some more economic tweeks should be in.

IMO some of the abstraction should be peeled away and instead have a much more detailed model.

If computational power was not a limit I would say keep track of every transaction and actually plot the course of individual goods and produce as they move about. (Think some part of sim rail games or capitalism games).

However on a world scale that would probably be too slow and not provide enough benefit. However, hopefully a reasonable middle ground could be attempted. Abstracting down the shipping/railway to some sort of "center of trade", (region/country/port/continent/...)

Status
Not open for further replies.