Are we going to have a completely brand new engine or EUIII style re-used engine?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I would prefer if they reverted back to a 2d engine and concentrated on the actual gameplay tbh

It's not easy to "revert" to 2d, and it's not easy to convince new players to buy a 2D game, so they won't.

That said I like flat maps.

It's not easy to "revert" to 2d, and it's not easy to convince new players to buy a 2D game, so they won't.

That said I like flat maps.

Its not easy to convince me to buy a game with hundreds of superfluos 3d sprites and unessecary 3d maps that slow my computer to a crawl. I'm not sure it was the graphics of EU2 (though they are by far paradoxs best) that sold the game.

I can't believe some people are arguing let alone complaining about what engine is going to be used for V2. Honestly folks you ought to be simply glad that Pdox is even attempting to resurrect Victoria given the costs of developing a new title and their less than satisfactory business returns last time. Develop a new engine for this niche title? C'mon. Just be glad we can piggy back on the bigger commercial titles like EU3 and HoI3.

I can't believe some people are arguing let alone complaining about what engine is going to be used for V2. Honestly folks you ought to be simply glad that Pdox is even attempting to resurrect Victoria given the costs of developing a new title and their less than satisfactory business returns last time. Develop a new engine for this niche title? C'mon. Just be glad we can piggy back on the bigger commercial titles like EU3 and HoI3.

A.)They are beeing payed to do it
B.)Its not like they are seeling the game for free

Yes, 2d is more attractive. But it's never coming back, so there's no sense in hand wringing about it.

Its not easy to convince me to buy a game with hundreds of superfluos 3d sprites and unessecary 3d maps that slow my computer to a crawl. I'm not sure it was the graphics of EU2 (though they are by far paradoxs best) that sold the game.
Errr, which of Paradox' games with the Clausewitz engine slows your computer to a crawl, Smirfy?

Errr, which of Paradox' games with the Clausewitz engine slows your computer to a crawl, Smirfy?

Probably hoi3, since that is what everyone is whining about over there.

Seriously though, clausewitz engine for the win for TWO reasons:
1) Mousewheel zoom.
2) Ease of map modability

And it's really all about the mapwheel zoom. After playing Eu3 I find it really hard to go back to anything on the previous engine ONLY because of the mousewheel zoom.

Oh, Lets look over there real quick... Why am I not zooming... STUPID ZOOM BUTTONS!

Probably hoi3, since that is what everyone is whining about over there.
I might be wrong, of course, but I had discounted HoI3 as I didn't think that Smirfy would be found playing the HoI series save over his own dead body, meaning I thought he'd be limited to the EU3 and (barely possible) EU:Rome for observations regarding graphics-related speed. :)

I might be wrong, of course, but I had discounted HoI3 as I didn't think that Smirfy would be found playing the HoI series save over his own dead body, meaning I thought he'd be limited to the EU3 and (barely possible) EU:Rome for observations regarding graphics-related speed. :)

Maybe? I tend not to go on the Vicky forums much anymore, love the game but haven't been playing it much lately. Joining the navy killed the ammount of time I had to spend on video games, then I got Eu3:IN and got out of the navy and never looked back. So I have yet to learn the board members personalities.

Plus on the HoI boards you don't need to due to the number of fly by night posters.

I'll enjoy this game regardless. I do agree w/working on increased moddability, would be especially nice w/this game, and much of the work could hopefully be carried over to the other games. Also, less bugs on release would be cool, better for sales (those of us 'in the know' realize that there will be many patches, but a stable release would mean a lot in regards to *new* customers). And one of these days I'd love to see paradox go nuts and make a fantasy genre game using this engine (or whatever engine is contemporary at the time) - draw in some new blood into the customer pool. Time for more beer.

Quite correct Hoi3 is not my bag for several reasons that i have bored people to death with over time. EU3 crawled on my machine. I have not tried it since just after release so it might be quicker now but the problems posted about HOI3 seem in a simmilair vein.

Quite correct Hoi3 is not my bag for several reasons that i have bored people to death with over time. EU3 crawled on my machine. I have not tried it since just after release so it might be quicker now but the problems posted about HOI3 seem in a simmilair vein.

I hate to say this but your machine must be awful.

My old machine which was around 7 years old when it died last year (I built it myself when I was 17 and it was top of the line then) and im now 25. And it ran EU3 decently.

Granted I checked my start up times and they were excruciatingly slow - 24 mins to Main Menu pre cache creation 17 mins post cache creation, and then to get into an actual game it was between 9 and 13 mins.
But once it was actually in the game I didnt notice any huge lag unless I had Autosave on; and that was with Magna Mundi running.

If your machine is seriously lagging beyond what mine was then I think its time for a new computer mate. Actually well past overdue for one probably; you can pick up a decent one from Tesco/Asda for 300 quid-ish nowadays so its not massively expensive to replace your old one.

My new computer - which isnt even state of the art, its a dual core probably about 2 years out of date now - runs EU3 quickly with barely a hiccup except when ive got Autosave on, again with Magna Mundi.
EDIT2:
If your computer is a new one and you are still not getting EU3 to run with any sort of speed then I can guarantee its a problem on your end and not with the game or the engine. Something wrong with your computer or something you are doing wrong.
You should search for a program called Game Booster from a company called IObit (dont worry they have a free version). What it does is closes all the extraneous background programs that windows runs so you can free up ram and processing power to run games better.

I dont understand where all this hate for the new Engine is coming from; I personally prefer it for LOADS of reasons.
One - its easier to use, more intuitive. The scroll zoom for instance reduces the amount of times i have to hit the pause button vastly.
Two - In old Engine you would miss events if you ran your game at anything above Above Normal speed, in the new one this doesnt seem to be the case.
Three - It is very possible to have a "flat" paper looking map in this new engine as evidenced by Magna Mundi's map. So that points kinda moot as well.
Four - The new engine can support a heck of a lot better looking game as evidenced by the HoI3 sprite packs and the previews of the Vicky 2 sprites. While not too important to me a LOT of folks like games to be all prettified.
Five - The moddability of the new engine also makes the game more open to the community and vastly extends its self life thus making more money for PI.

Given all that I dont get why people would want to go back to that horrible old buggy crap engine except for one reason. People dont like change. At all.

Some times I feel like I am the only person on these forums who likes the new engine...

EDIT:
As someone else said previously Victoria was a low selling title and has become something of a niche title. Victoria 2 is probably only getting a chance to be made because of how much Johan loves it. (Tho Johan loves CK more tho heh).

The chances of getting a brand new engine for such a low selling game/series is slim to none. If HoI 3 didnt get it then Vicky 2 wont.

Last edited:
To be honest this isn't really reminding me of either EU3 or HOI3. In fact it does have a lot of the same 19th century feel in that original Victoria had.

The only title my machine ever had problems with is EUIII, it runs crisis fine.

Hundreds if not thousands of others are running EU3 just fine with no problems mate.
And probably most if not all of them run it with Magna Mundi installed as well.

The odds of it being an engine problem as apposed to a problem with your computer or you are very small indeed.
The fact that it can run a game like Crysis (which btw is mostly pretty graphics) fine is good but doesnt really mean much. Its like comparing apples and oranges.

EU3 is a very process heavy game (and HoI3 and likely VIcky 2 as well). If you compared how many processes EU3 runs in a minute to how many Crysis runs? I think you would probably find that EU3 vastly outstrips it.

Yes the Engine could probably use some - if not a lot of optimisation - which it will no doubt get with all the problems HoI3 is getting its still alot less buggy and difficult to use than the old Europa Engine.

Now if you said to me it runs Galactic Civilizations/Civilization 4 on highest settings (and in case of Civ 4 the Enhanced mods like RevolutionDCM or Enhanced AI) and it flies with them then I would say that would be a more appropriate comparison and might be willing to say that it could be an Engine optimisation problem with EU3 rather than a problem with your computer wasting resources which I think it must be.
But I lurk a lot on these forums and your the first person I have seen who has a "new" computer complaining about EU3 being slow. Everyone else who I have seen complaining about that has had an older computer.

Like I said get Game Booster from IObit and see if it helps you run EU3 better. If it doesnt work at all then I really dont know what to suggest. Perhaps post in the EU3 tech support forums for help?

There were also countless people who were unable to run it or HOI3 fine. If there is some bleeding edge game sure I would consider a new computer but one would hardly call EUIII or HOI3 bleeding edge. But to tell you the honest truth loved EUI and EUII but not a fan of III so its not much of a loss when I can play anything else I want.

If vicky2 uses the same engine it will be much the same game as EUIII, Rome and HOI3 with a different box a bit like Status Quo records (unfortunately Status Quo albums work out of the box). Now you might pay for the experience but sadly I will sink cash into my other hobbies.

If it uses the same engine and concept that served EU so well it will fail like the original viccky because it just does not transpose itself to the industrial revolution.

I wish viccky two well but i can see the same mistakes that damned the first one coming a mile away.