+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Victoria 2 Map Mega Thread.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengokuSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I like HoI3 map, and I would prefer if Vicky 2 has the same map with some change in places where there is historically less or more great events.

I like as many province as posible, and if it's too much for micro-managing, there is also possibility to give (good) AI control of some things. Like said before, I prefer when a small country have at least some provinces.

But I don't want too many province to freeze the game too.
    Mes AARs:
    CK: (mort à cause d'imageshack)
    EU3 NA IN: In nomine imperia(interrompu pour un temps indéfini)
    Commerce, guerre et colonies, l'Archiduché d'Autriche (1483-1540)
    CK2 : --à venir éventuellement--

« [...] Nous ne sommes pas les derniers colonisés de la terre, mais les premiers affranchis du vieux monde des États-nation. »
    « [...] We are not the last colonized of the Earth, but the first emancipated from the old world of nation-states.»
    -Pierre Elliott Trudeau, 20 mai 1980

IIRC, wasn't one of the reasons they cited for HOI3's humongous amount of provinces that it would avoid the stacking-lots-of-divisions-along-the-entire-border thing, and, overall, hinder trench warfare (a massive defence line from the Channel to Switzerland being harder to make)?
    Which is good for World War 2, but might be a tad bit counter-intuitive for the Great War, or a Western Front-analogue.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Quote Originally Posted by blue_thunder View Post
    I'd go with HoI 3 number - it has quite enough provinces that my hometown is in (and it's about 20.000 people). When playing minor nations, i prefer the 'feel' of still having plenty provinces to move in, rather than just several.
    Funny, my hometown has 200,000 and was dropped in favor of podunk wastelands like New Deal. Anyway, I don't think as many provinces as HoI3 are necessary for this era. I wouldn't complain if there were, of course, but if the 10k provinces thing is attempted again they really, really need to work on getting the map right. When I look at Texas in HoI3, I wouldn't even be able to recognize it as my home if it weren't for the province names being towns in Texas- the positions and borders are quite arbitrary. I'm not as familiar with the rest of the map, but what places I do know are equally screwed.

For The Glory

Blog Entries
    My take on this is simple, as I'm sure many of you already know:

GIVE GOA BACK!

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacy
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    Majesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

Quote Originally Posted by Sute]{h View Post
    I second borrowing from the clio map. Also the engine cannot handle 10k provinces. It is still practically impossible to play a game of HoI3 because the game slows down to something unplayable after 30 min. or so.
    the number of provinces in HOI3 isn't the reason for the slowdown.
    Markusw7 I'm so powerful i made Paris Hilton a productive member of society.
    Scipio Aemilius *Bows in reverence and admiration*

Quote Originally Posted by Markusw7 View Post
    the number of provinces in HOI3 isn't the reason for the slowdown.
    What's the reason in that case? I'm not too familiar with the game, but I think that generating weather conditions for each province every day is a major drain on resources. I could do without weather, by the way. Something simple like EU3 three types of winter checked monthly would be more than enough for my taste.
    timeo hominem unius libri

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Quote Originally Posted by MannheimCouncil View Post
    What's the reason in that case? I'm not too familiar with the game, but I think that generating weather conditions for each province every day is a major drain on resources. I could do without weather, by the way. Something simple like EU3 three types of winter checked monthly would be more than enough for my taste.
    The big reason for HoI3's slowdown seems to be the choice of scripting language, which means great moddability at the expense of speed. Had the whole thing been written in C++ it would be going much faster.

WooHoo, Finally San Marino will be independent!

200k clubHoI AnthologyDarkest HourDeus VultDiplomacy
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Majesty 2Penumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband

Blog Entries
    What makes you think that San Marino will be independant?
    Peter Ebbesen: To guarantee success, rename Victoria 2 to something like "Victoria's Secret: An Encounter Under the Sun"

We'll Protect America! : a (Kaiseriech) USA/AUS AAR Ongoing

"As for myself, my course is clear. A British subject I was born — a British subject I will die. With my utmost effort, with my latest breath, will I oppose the ‘veiled treason’ which attempts by sordid means and mercenary proffers to lure our people from their allegiance. " Sir John A. Macdonald
    "A flag that does not contain the greatness of your heritage is no flag for a nation" John Diefenbaker

Justified and Ancient Cinéad IV's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2

I do think that the development team would do well to take a look at the Clio project, which has already done most of the hard work related to building a Victoria era map.

There's no reason not to have a map the size of the HOI3 one, tbh, as long as it's mostly for the military aspects. Handling 10,000 RGOs would be hell, but if the map runs on 3 'levels' rather than the 2 in original vicky, it shouldn't matter.

for example:

level 1 - local. An area about the size of a small town. Troops move across local distances, allowing for the greater level of tactical control afforded by HOI3. Fortifications would also be handled at this level; population and migration would be available here, though a locality may or may not contain POPs.

level 2 - regional. An area about the size of a city. This would handle RGOs, and you'd be able to access the population in all the localities within the region for conversion purposes. Railroad construction would be managed here, and would fill up all the localities in the region.

level 3 - State. An area about the size of Yorkshire, or above. Would be used for factories etc, as in Vicky 1.

That way, we'd have a large but managable map, with all the functionality of Vicky but all the tactical finese of HOI3.

200k clubHoI AnthologyDarkest HourDeus VultDiplomacy
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Majesty 2Penumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by th3freakie View Post
    my take on this is simple, as i'm sure many of you already know:

give goa back!

+1 +1 +1
    Peter Ebbesen: To guarantee success, rename Victoria 2 to something like "Victoria's Secret: An Encounter Under the Sun"

We'll Protect America! : a (Kaiseriech) USA/AUS AAR Ongoing

"As for myself, my course is clear. A British subject I was born — a British subject I will die. With my utmost effort, with my latest breath, will I oppose the ‘veiled treason’ which attempts by sordid means and mercenary proffers to lure our people from their allegiance. " Sir John A. Macdonald
    "A flag that does not contain the greatness of your heritage is no flag for a nation" John Diefenbaker

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Sute]{h View Post
    I second borrowing from the clio map. Also the engine cannot handle 10k provinces. It is still practically impossible to play a game of HoI3 because the game slows down to something unplayable after 30 min. or so.
    Only for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by LordInsane View Post
    IIRC, wasn't one of the reasons they cited for HOI3's humongous amount of provinces that it would avoid the stacking-lots-of-divisions-along-the-entire-border thing, and, overall, hinder trench warfare (a massive defence line from the Channel to Switzerland being harder to make)?
    Which is good for World War 2, but might be a tad bit counter-intuitive for the Great War, or a Western Front-analogue.
    I agree, but honestly, it's not at all hard to make such a front in HOI3. The AI isn't usually focused enough to do it, but a player can given enough time to crank out the necessary divisions, and the AI usually mimics it in response.

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEast India Company
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMajesty 2
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the Stars II
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneEuropa Universalis IVWarlock 2: The Exiled

From what I have seen of HOI 3, the AI wasn't optimized. I once made a mistake with a mod that killed the diplomacy AI (and possibly every lua script - I must have commented out the wrong bracket). I actually had to slow the game down to 4 it was moving so fast. Would go through a day faster than I could hit the pause button again. Hell, 24 hours in HOI 3 was was faster than one day in EU 3!

I fix the mistake, and the game slows to a crawl. X has a trade agreement with Y, A declined a trade agreement with B, etc, etc.

Don't care how many provinces there are. Just hope the regions are larger than they are in HOI 3. Regions in HOI 3 are so small they are useless.
    A Californian with an avatar!

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Europa Universalis IV
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Rio de Janeiro (A Cidade Maravilhosa), Brazil/Twitter: @Cynegeticus
    I hope the provinces in Latin America will have the right borders and will have correct names, unlike what happened in the original Vicky.

I don't know how it is in HoI3 though.

V2's map isn't going to need near as many provinces as HoI3 because it's not a wargame. I hope we can set priorities and let the provinces automate themselves to a degree to avoid so much clicking.

Hotkeys in Victoria were a godsend for building railroads and such even with its (presumably) fewer provinces.

For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by th3freakie View Post
    My take on this is simple, as I'm sure many of you already know:

[CENTER]GIVE GOA BACK!
    With HOI3 size provinces, you will probably get Goa AND Macau.

I'd be happy with the amount of provinces in EU3 or even HOI2.

Also, I want much more accurate province locations, names and terrain types than that shameful map in HOI3. XD

For The Glory

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by angj57 View Post
    With HOI3 size provinces, you will probably get Goa AND Macau.
    Macau was already in HoI2, so it wasn't an issue when the campaign was born.

Also, Damão and Diu would be nice

Liberté, egalité, fraternité StephenT's Avatar
    Cities in MotionDeus VultDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Macao is in HoI3 so I don't see why it won't be in Victoria 2.

Personally, I'd like to see the 10,000 provinces there for manoeuvring, but POPs, resources and factories handled at regional level (with one region per 5 or so provinces, just like in HoI3). Improvements might be physically located in a specific province, but you'd manage them on the regional level.

I also think that railway lines should appear on the map once built, stretching from one region capital to the next. (And also extending across national borders.) This is cosmetic only, but look at how popular the Railroad Tycoon games were. People like trains. (And it would show you visually which province in each region was the location of its factories.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast