• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I second borrowing from the clio map. Also the engine cannot handle 10k provinces. It is still practically impossible to play a game of HoI3 because the game slows down to something unplayable after 30 min. or so.

I like HoI3 map, and I would prefer if Vicky 2 has the same map with some change in places where there is historically less or more great events.

I like as many province as posible, and if it's too much for micro-managing, there is also possibility to give (good) AI control of some things. Like said before, I prefer when a small country have at least some provinces.

But I don't want too many province to freeze the game too.

IIRC, wasn't one of the reasons they cited for HOI3's humongous amount of provinces that it would avoid the stacking-lots-of-divisions-along-the-entire-border thing, and, overall, hinder trench warfare (a massive defence line from the Channel to Switzerland being harder to make)?
Which is good for World War 2, but might be a tad bit counter-intuitive for the Great War, or a Western Front-analogue.

I'd go with HoI 3 number - it has quite enough provinces that my hometown is in (and it's about 20.000 people). When playing minor nations, i prefer the 'feel' of still having plenty provinces to move in, rather than just several.

Funny, my hometown has 200,000 and was dropped in favor of podunk wastelands like New Deal. Anyway, I don't think as many provinces as HoI3 are necessary for this era. I wouldn't complain if there were, of course, but if the 10k provinces thing is attempted again they really, really need to work on getting the map right. When I look at Texas in HoI3, I wouldn't even be able to recognize it as my home if it weren't for the province names being towns in Texas- the positions and borders are quite arbitrary. I'm not as familiar with the rest of the map, but what places I do know are equally screwed.

My take on this is simple, as I'm sure many of you already know:

GIVE GOA BACK!

portugal-india-scott549.jpg

Sute]{h;10035975 said:
I second borrowing from the clio map. Also the engine cannot handle 10k provinces. It is still practically impossible to play a game of HoI3 because the game slows down to something unplayable after 30 min. or so.

the number of provinces in HOI3 isn't the reason for the slowdown.

the number of provinces in HOI3 isn't the reason for the slowdown.

What's the reason in that case? I'm not too familiar with the game, but I think that generating weather conditions for each province every day is a major drain on resources. I could do without weather, by the way. Something simple like EU3 three types of winter checked monthly would be more than enough for my taste.

What's the reason in that case? I'm not too familiar with the game, but I think that generating weather conditions for each province every day is a major drain on resources. I could do without weather, by the way. Something simple like EU3 three types of winter checked monthly would be more than enough for my taste.

The big reason for HoI3's slowdown seems to be the choice of scripting language, which means great moddability at the expense of speed. Had the whole thing been written in C++ it would be going much faster.

What makes you think that San Marino will be independant?

I do think that the development team would do well to take a look at the Clio project, which has already done most of the hard work related to building a Victoria era map.

There's no reason not to have a map the size of the HOI3 one, tbh, as long as it's mostly for the military aspects. Handling 10,000 RGOs would be hell, but if the map runs on 3 'levels' rather than the 2 in original vicky, it shouldn't matter.

for example:

level 1 - local. An area about the size of a small town. Troops move across local distances, allowing for the greater level of tactical control afforded by HOI3. Fortifications would also be handled at this level; population and migration would be available here, though a locality may or may not contain POPs.

level 2 - regional. An area about the size of a city. This would handle RGOs, and you'd be able to access the population in all the localities within the region for conversion purposes. Railroad construction would be managed here, and would fill up all the localities in the region.

level 3 - State. An area about the size of Yorkshire, or above. Would be used for factories etc, as in Vicky 1.

That way, we'd have a large but managable map, with all the functionality of Vicky but all the tactical finese of HOI3.

Sute]{h;10035975 said:

Only for some people.

IIRC, wasn't one of the reasons they cited for HOI3's humongous amount of provinces that it would avoid the stacking-lots-of-divisions-along-the-entire-border thing, and, overall, hinder trench warfare (a massive defence line from the Channel to Switzerland being harder to make)?
Which is good for World War 2, but might be a tad bit counter-intuitive for the Great War, or a Western Front-analogue.

I agree, but honestly, it's not at all hard to make such a front in HOI3. The AI isn't usually focused enough to do it, but a player can given enough time to crank out the necessary divisions, and the AI usually mimics it in response.

From what I have seen of HOI 3, the AI wasn't optimized. I once made a mistake with a mod that killed the diplomacy AI (and possibly every lua script - I must have commented out the wrong bracket). I actually had to slow the game down to 4 it was moving so fast. Would go through a day faster than I could hit the pause button again. Hell, 24 hours in HOI 3 was was faster than one day in EU 3!

I fix the mistake, and the game slows to a crawl. X has a trade agreement with Y, A declined a trade agreement with B, etc, etc.

Don't care how many provinces there are. Just hope the regions are larger than they are in HOI 3. Regions in HOI 3 are so small they are useless.

I hope the provinces in Latin America will have the right borders and will have correct names, unlike what happened in the original Vicky.

I don't know how it is in HoI3 though.

V2's map isn't going to need near as many provinces as HoI3 because it's not a wargame. I hope we can set priorities and let the provinces automate themselves to a degree to avoid so much clicking.

Hotkeys in Victoria were a godsend for building railroads and such even with its (presumably) fewer provinces.