• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Southern Italy.
2009-08-24-1.jpg

Looks great. However, I hope you do include enough of the Middle East for the Seleucid Empire and Parthia, which was a major rival of the Roman Empire.

Great and clever division !
Maybe you know it but there is a general size limitation for the map: at this scale of detail, maybe you will be stopped on the Eastern side of the map (Syria, Armenia, Mesopotamia,...).

Great and clever division !
Maybe you know it but there is a general size limitation for the map: at this scale of detail, maybe you will be stopped on the Eastern side of the map (Syria, Armenia, Mesopotamia,...).
I know, but I can't find the post where it says just how large it can be. All my own attempts at making the map larger have failed, so I can't test it myself really. The RIMP team succeeded, though, so it can't be impossible.
My current approach is just to carry on with the original map size and add everything I can find room for. This means the Middle East is left out, at least for now.

I think that the limitation is 2048 x 1024 pix (colormap_water.dds) and 2400 x 1228 pix (.bmp).
Moreover, there is a province maximum size of 100 x 100 or 50 x 200 pix.
The RIMP has extend the map at the cost of a total redrawing and of an acceptable projection's distortion on the southern side of the map.

Ah, interesting. That could explain why I never got it working with my large map; I extended it in both directions (and it's already 1228 px high in vanilla). I got to try extending the map on the x axis only. Anyway, if the maximum size of the water colour map is 352 px less than the maximum size for the bmp files, this means that I can make a map that's 2400 px wide as long as there's no water in the last 352 px, right?

This looks absolutely fantastic, well done Descartes, and thank you!

May I ask if you know if this will have an impact on game speed? I ask out of purely selfish reasons - my laptop, fairly new as it is, struggles to play anything Paradox make since they decided strategy games ought to be played on supercomputers.

The first release will lag less than vanilla, since it only covers 70 provinces. In the future, however, as I add more provinces, the game speed will probably go down a bit. If it becomes a big problem, I will release light versions (with less countries and events).

The first release will lag less than vanilla, since it only covers 70 provinces. In the future, however, as I add more provinces, the game speed will probably go down a bit. If it becomes a big problem, I will release light versions (with less countries and events).

How much of the map will be in the first release?

Ah, interesting. That could explain why I never got it working with my large map; I extended it in both directions (and it's already 1228 px high in vanilla). I got to try extending the map on the x axis only. Anyway, if the maximum size of the water colour map is 352 px less than the maximum size for the bmp files, this means that I can make a map that's 2400 px wide as long as there's no water in the last 352 px, right?

Maybe. I am not sure because I am not the RIMP's cartographer.

Very considerate of you, Descartes :)

Cheers, best of luck with the mod progress.

Oh this is really looking too cool! I'm going to have a real fun time bringing Italy under the Roman heel!

How long do you think the first release will take?

Conquering Italy with Rome, a one-province minor, will be pretty hard. Especially since people in the other provinces don't speak latin (more revolt risk and less manpower). But that's what makes it so good. ;)
The first version will be released somewhere in September or October.

Have you considered making the map itself at an angle in order to cut out most of the Russian Steppe in the far north?

I believe some of the RTW mod teams took a similar approach to fit more "civilized" land into the map.