• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Descartes

Lt. General
42 Badges
Oct 12, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • 500k Club
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 200k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
MAP LOG
I thought it might be interesting for you to follow the development of the new map, so I'm starting up a map log. I'll post screenshots now and then. First off is one showing the provinces of Italy, squeezed into the Northern part of the vanilla map. Please ignore the Caucasian provinces sneaking up to the right. :p

2009-08-19-1.jpg

As you can see, I have some work left to do with city and text positions, but the borders are more or less finished. Oh and I might as well give you the full province list for Italy. Feel free to comment!

Code:
1: Lilybaeum
2: Panormus
3: Agrigentum
4: Henna
5: Gela
6: Melita
7: Syracusae
8: Catana
9: Messana
10: Rhegium
11: Locri
12: Crotona
13: Consentia
14: Thurii
15: Heraclea
16: Tarentum
17: Brundusium
18: Barium
19: Potentia
20: Paestum
21: Canusium
22: Beneventum
23: Cumae
24: Capua
25: Bovianum
26: Luceria
27: Larinum
28: Corfinium
29: Fregellae
30: Roma
31: Veii
32: Reate
33: Hadria
34: Firmum
35: Spoletium
36: Volsinii
37: Tarquinii
38: Populonium
39: Arretium
40: Sena
41: Ariminum
42: Faesulae
43: Volaterrae
44: Pisae
45: Genua
46: Placentia
47: Parma
48: Mutina
49: Bononia
50: Patavium
51: Altinum
52: Aquileia
53: Pola
54: Taurisci
55: Helvetii
56: Verona
57: Brixia
58: Mediolanum
59: Dertona
60: Hasta
61: Allobroges
62: Albingaunum
63: Mariana
64: Aleria
65: Turris
66: Olbia
67: Macopsissa
68: Tharros
69: Sulcis
70: Caralis

Last edited:
Wow... just wow. Looks very nice, all those provinces will be great. Will your new map be correct, correct as in Sicily's position not being southeast of Carthage and the Caspian Sea not being that far east and so on? Also, how will you get the topology and terrain done? The colormap_hires.bmp file sure looks like a bugger to edit and afaik topology isn't easy to get hold of either.

I'm trying to make it as correct as possible. The projection looks something like this, but I'm using far more detailed maps for the coast lines. I don't find topology that hard, it's just playing around with the grey scale. The colour map is a real bugger though, it will take lots of time before I get it working properly. I prefer the political mode. :p

No I haven't, but remember my map won't cover neither Russia nor the Middle East. The focus is the Mediterranean region. Still, I will probably make it less spherical when I get down to the details.

That is fantastic, looking really good Descartes!

Though I'd also echo perhaps extending the map east a little :D

Here's a closer look at Sicily in 1 AUC. The island is divided between the Elymi (to the left), the Sicani (middle), the Siculi (right). Zancle has also appeared in the North-East. Note that I've edited the topology. :)
2009-08-21-1.jpg

Yes, you are doing a good and pertinent division of Sicily.

Nice work Descartes. I can see an opportunity for you to use the 3D modeller guy there, creating some unique unit cultural models, or even differentiate the greek shields a bit, that would be nice.

According to my notes, roughly:
- the Corinthians colonsied the southeastern part
- Rhodes and Crete colonised Gela which then colonised Agrigento; Rhodes also colonised the Lipari island to the north.
- Euboea the northeastern part
- Megara also had a colony to the north of Syracuse but I think it got eliminated and another in the east in Carthaginian territory.

I can't wait for the first Agrigento AAR, 'You've Got Crabs'.
Sounds awesome. :p

Nice work Descartes. I can see an opportunity for you to use the 3D modeller guy there, creating some unique unit cultural models, or even differentiate the greek shields a bit, that would be nice.

According to my notes, roughly:
- the Corinthians colonsied the southeastern part
- Rhodes and Crete colonised Gela which then colonised Agrigento; Rhodes also colonised the Lipari island to the north.
- Euboea the northeastern part
- Megara also had a colony to the north of Syracuse but I think it got eliminated and another in the east in Carthaginian territory.
Yeah I'd love to see more varied graphics. I might be able to do a little myself, but if a real 3D modeller shows up, that would be great. Megara's colony was called Megara Hyblaea BTW, and I didn't think it was important enough to be on the map.