+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Map Log

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Southern Italy.
    Previously worked on Imperium, a mod for Rome: Vae Victis.

impressive! Love your modding!

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Pendleton, Umatilla County, Oregon, USA, N. America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Laniakea, The Universe
    Looks great. However, I hope you do include enough of the Middle East for the Seleucid Empire and Parthia, which was a major rival of the Roman Empire.
    “The greatest and noblest pleasure which we have in this world is to discover new truths, and the next is to shake off old prejudices.”
    – Frederick II von Hohenzollern

I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEuropa Universalis: RomeRome: Vae Victis

Great and clever division !
    Maybe you know it but there is a general size limitation for the map: at this scale of detail, maybe you will be stopped on the Eastern side of the map (Syria, Armenia, Mesopotamia,...).
    Le satanique ennemi de la véritable histoire : la manie du jugement. (Marc Bloch)
    Rome Improved Map Project for EU: Rome

Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

Quote Originally Posted by Tartarin View Post
    Great and clever division !
    Maybe you know it but there is a general size limitation for the map: at this scale of detail, maybe you will be stopped on the Eastern side of the map (Syria, Armenia, Mesopotamia,...).
    I know, but I can't find the post where it says just how large it can be. All my own attempts at making the map larger have failed, so I can't test it myself really. The RIMP team succeeded, though, so it can't be impossible.
    My current approach is just to carry on with the original map size and add everything I can find room for. This means the Middle East is left out, at least for now.

I think that the limitation is 2048 x 1024 pix (colormap_water.dds) and 2400 x 1228 pix (.bmp).
    Moreover, there is a province maximum size of 100 x 100 or 50 x 200 pix.
    The RIMP has extend the map at the cost of a total redrawing and of an acceptable projection's distortion on the southern side of the map.
    Le satanique ennemi de la véritable histoire : la manie du jugement. (Marc Bloch)

Ah, interesting. That could explain why I never got it working with my large map; I extended it in both directions (and it's already 1228 px high in vanilla). I got to try extending the map on the x axis only. Anyway, if the maximum size of the water colour map is 352 px less than the maximum size for the bmp files, this means that I can make a map that's 2400 px wide as long as there's no water in the last 352 px, right?

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteFor The GloryEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae Victis

This looks absolutely fantastic, well done Descartes, and thank you!

May I ask if you know if this will have an impact on game speed? I ask out of purely selfish reasons - my laptop, fairly new as it is, struggles to play anything Paradox make since they decided strategy games ought to be played on supercomputers.

The first release will lag less than vanilla, since it only covers 70 provinces. In the future, however, as I add more provinces, the game speed will probably go down a bit. If it becomes a big problem, I will release light versions (with less countries and events).

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    Majesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of Prussia
    EU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
    The first release will lag less than vanilla, since it only covers 70 provinces. In the future, however, as I add more provinces, the game speed will probably go down a bit. If it becomes a big problem, I will release light versions (with less countries and events).
    How much of the map will be in the first release?
    'What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an Angel, in apprehension how like a god! The beauty of the world! The paragon of animals! And yet to me, what is this quintessence of dust?

Faith in Humanity Meter - ||||||||||
    The Ink Well

If I don't change my mind, it's the Italian peninsula, Sicily, Corsica, Sardinia and Malta.

Ah, interesting. That could explain why I never got it working with my large map; I extended it in both directions (and it's already 1228 px high in vanilla). I got to try extending the map on the x axis only. Anyway, if the maximum size of the water colour map is 352 px less than the maximum size for the bmp files, this means that I can make a map that's 2400 px wide as long as there's no water in the last 352 px, right?
    Maybe. I am not sure because I am not the RIMP's cartographer.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteFor The GloryEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae Victis

Very considerate of you, Descartes

Cheers, best of luck with the mod progress.

Northern Italy in 515 AUC.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    Majesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of Prussia
    EU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Oh this is really looking too cool! I'm going to have a real fun time bringing Italy under the Roman heel!

How long do you think the first release will take?
    'What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an Angel, in apprehension how like a god! The beauty of the world! The paragon of animals! And yet to me, what is this quintessence of dust?

Faith in Humanity Meter - ||||||||||
    The Ink Well

Conquering Italy with Rome, a one-province minor, will be pretty hard. Especially since people in the other provinces don't speak latin (more revolt risk and less manpower). But that's what makes it so good.
    The first version will be released somewhere in September or October.

Cities in MotionDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEuropa Universalis: RomeRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Take your time, make it great!

This... looks... amazing.

DONT TREAD ON ME Moderator TheLoneGunman's Avatar
    51 games registered

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultEast India Company
    East India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneIron Cross
    King Arthur IIThe Kings CrusadeMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations
    Rise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Have you considered making the map itself at an angle in order to cut out most of the Russian Steppe in the far north?

I believe some of the RTW mod teams took a similar approach to fit more "civilized" land into the map.

Not really. The map includes the Mediterranean region only, which cuts out the whole Russian steppe anyway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast