• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I already know that Victoria will support the decision system linke in EU3 IN and HOi3 but will it also support the mission system of Eu3 IN, because in HOI3 you don`t have any missions what is plausible.

Actually I think the mission system is tailor made for Vicky. reclaiming Alasace Lorraine/Elsass Lothringen, build a bigger navy than the US, bring in such and such a reform... if they are tailor made for the big powers and more generic for the small ones it could be really cool.

If two countries have missions to build a bigger army or navy than each other, that could simulate an arms race. If you also get missions to form alliances so as to outnumber a joint potential enemy (and the diplomatic AI is more pragmatic in this regard), then you could hopefully end up with something similar to the cumbersome, tangled alliance system of WWI.

It would be cool, admittedly. And it would give the nation something tangible to strive for.

The missions system could be a great boon to Vic 2. As said, Arms races, scrambles for territory, all could recreate the climate of the C19th.

Aye, I think this is a great idea.

When you think about it, this is really the only way I can think of to model arms races. The example that specifically comes to mind is the battleship arms race between GB and Germany leading up to WWI.

It also could be a way to influence things like the American Civil War without resorting to hard coded events.

It could also be a great way to model the race for colonies, IMO.

Indeed. I believe missions will be the way in which Paradox shall implement colonialism.

So now we know PDox's stance on what kind of game Victoria 2 will be.

OHGamer, save us! Save us with VIP2! :(

And it is a stance the vast majority of the players applaud.

In any case, from my point of view, without knowing anything about the game yet, the way I see it, the only possibility of events being used is to show the discoveries you eventually get from researching a technology (Like Gas Warfare, Karl Marx and Marxism, etc.)

Decisions are activated by the player (when certain circumstances are true).

For example for Prussia:
Decision: Form German Empire
Effect: Change tag, triggers events,...
Condition: Paris is occupied, Allied with Bavaria,...

When the conditions are true, the player can click at the decision and doesn't have to wait for an event.

Decisions are activated by the player (when certain circumstances are true).

For example for Prussia:
Decision: Form German Empire
Effect: Change tag, triggers events,...
Condition: Paris is occupied, Allied with Bavaria,...

When the conditions are true, the player can click at the decision and doesn't have to wait for an event.

The player can also see the conditions before they are met, and thus work towards achieving them, rather than either play randomly and hope something good happens, or look through the game files to see what is needed, both are, to me, very harmful for the "RP-feel"
Besides, due to the active nature of decisions rather than the passive nature of events, they make more sense for situations like that. It was the ruler of prussa who chose to found the german empire, so as the ruler of prussia it should be me who chooses how and when to do so, rather than waiting for someone to ask me if I want to do it.
This is especially true in other cases, like escalation of conflicts with Austria and Denmark, Bismarck's social reforms, the Boer war, etc. Events are good for situations that should be unpredicted and sudden. Either random events or events triggered by another nations decisions fall into this category, maybe some historically 'random' events could be hardcoded in to make it more historical as long as it makes sense. (Murder of Franz Ferdinand would fit in the last category, for example)

I think the "missions" should really be a sort of public expectations. I.e., you fail a mission, the ruling party gets voted out of office. The missions themselves should depend mostly on the political attitudes of the more influential classes of society, with some reference to historical context (so if CSA exists, USA gets missions that are related to that, not just the generic ones generates because of POPs' attitudes).

"1000's of events and decisions."

Thank you Paradox, you do listen. I love you guys :)

I will buy this game on preorder like I did Hearts of Iron 3, and I know it'll be awesome (I end up buying all of your games anyways though). I'm psyched.

Indeed. I believe missions will be the way in which Paradox shall implement colonialism.
Hopefully done in a nation-neutral way rather than something like the travesty of the Spanish mission-file in EU3 IN which happily hands out a grand total of 41 badboy reduction and countless other goodies to Spain for accomplishing goals that are, in themselves, profitable, just because they have the SPA tag.

The considerably more limited missions from EU:Rome, where most missions are based on what your nation is rather than who it is and where missions tend to have smaller effects in general, would be a better limit in scope.

For me decisions are the better designed system. Let me tell you why, when a decision appears as a potential decisions for a country you get to know to two things, what you have to do to enact the decision and what happens when you do. As a player this is a good thing (especially for those major historical decisions designed to help your country go down a more historical path) because you don't have plough through a huge event file (and decode the scripts) to find out what is going on. Secondly I think this a more realistic system. Take HoI2 and the Sudentan Land after a few games you know exactly on which date this is going to happen, you get 20/20 historical hindsight. With HoI3 you just know it is going to happens some time after Austria disapears, which, for me, feels more historic.

Except the AI trigger the decision the second it get's it. It should have a timer on the AI triggering it once it's active. Sort of like how an event has a monthly chance, with the odds increasing each day. At the moment the AI just tends to rush to war.

I must agree though, decisions to add some very good things to these games, and are a definite good thing for them. That doesn't however mean that events are no longer good (or better in some cases). Events just need to be randomised a bit, as to not happen on an exact date, but rather in a specific time frame (as long as certain requirements are met. The chance of the event happening should increase as it goes along). They each have their place, and they should be decided on on a case-by-case basis.

Take into consideration whether the state initiated the event when it happened. If they did, make it a decision. If they didn't, make it an event. Similarily, some events should enable decisions, and some decisions should enable events.

I would like to see some randomness in V2. Not outrageously, but I would like the AI to ocasionally do some ahistorical (yet perfectly viable, historically possible) decisions.

I would like to see some randomness in V2. Not outrageously, but I would like the AI to ocasionally do some ahistorical (yet perfectly viable, historically possible) decisions.

While I wouldn't like this at all, I think it's pretty much a given. If you set the AI aggressiveness right in Vicky 1 you would get that as well, so I don't see any reason why we wouldn't see it in V2.

Except the AI trigger the decision the second it get's it. It should have a timer on the AI triggering it once it's active.

I remember quite correctly that decisions in EU3 have an ai_will_do factor, so if V2 uses anything like it, it won't be like you're saying. Except if the factor is 1, of course.

Edit: ah yes, but there's no delay, I see what you mean now. It either goes with it or not. That can obviously be modded in with the decision triggering a flag that later on can fire an event (events have a mean_time_to_happen).