• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Certainly sounds like a fun idea.

That is an interesting idea.

It's a good idea, but the Nobel prizes didn't come into effect until 1901, so it wouldn't really last that long.
A good idea for a V2IP.

i like the idea as such but looks a bit random to simulate.
it would be a great feature in any case.

The Peace Prize could also be a bad thing for a nation (particularly a dictatorship or imperial one). Say, a resistance leader from an occupied area wins, drawing attention to the cause (prestige or badboy hit, increased revolt risk).

I think it would be a good yearly flavour event idea. Perhaps the different awards could have their probability linked to what the nations have done? So industrialising might be a plus factor for physics and chemistry, culture research/diplomacy a bonus for peace prize, etc. I also like the idea of a peace prize having the potential to be a two edged sword - helpful if you got it for encouraging peace/ending a war etc, bad if you're still at war or suffering rebellion. That might be a little complex, but it would be pretty cool.

That said, would the Nobel prize exist if Russia decided Scandinavia was a good place for a port? Or any other ahistorical possibility.

^ Or if some other nation discovered Dynamite before Sweden? Nobel created the prize with a lot of the money he made from dynamite so that the destructive forces he had created would not be used against his fellow man.

I guess you could just make the first nation to discover dynamite the "host" of the Nobel prizes. This also allows for perhaps a pre-1901 start to the prizes.

Oh, and I do think the prizes should only be awarded to civilised nations, with bias against nations such as the Ottomans, Japan...

I like the idea :)

I think it would be a good yearly flavour event idea. Perhaps the different awards could have their probability linked to what the nations have done? So industrialising might be a plus factor for physics and chemistry, culture research/diplomacy a bonus for peace prize, etc. I also like the idea of a peace prize having the potential to be a two edged sword - helpful if you got it for encouraging peace/ending a war etc, bad if you're still at war or suffering rebellion. That might be a little complex, but it would be pretty cool.

That said, would the Nobel prize exist if Russia decided Scandinavia was a good place for a port? Or any other ahistorical possibility.

The proper Nobel prize would most probably not exist, but it could represent the possibility of a similar prize existing had it not been created.

The proper Nobel prize would most probably not exist, but it could represent the possibility of a similar prize existing had it not been created.

Perhaps. The question is then how effective it would be as flavour, and whether it would still be worth trying to make it as the fairly complex event envisaged...

If it's not going to be the Nobel prize specifically, it might be better off as a random "A _ from your country has been awarded a prestigious reward for _", able to fire any time for anyone (Probably just civilised? With a very low probability boosted by various factors). It would be immensely cool to have a history log of Nobel prize winners, but I don't think yearly events for a nameless award would be worth it.

Oh, and I do think the prizes should only be awarded to civilised nations, with bias against nations such as the Ottomans, Japan...
What makes you think those nations would not be concidered civilised by 1900? :p

And on topic to the Prize, the more dynamic events we can make the cooler stuff we will be able to include later. For example having the same event but with a different title triggering for different nations depending on parameters or stuff happening in other events?
If Dynamite is indeed discovered by Sweden it could be called Nobel Price events, if not perhaps something else?

There could also be events where the state decides if they will allow the creation of the price or just take the money (for urgent war needs or some other excuse). Resulting in loss off prestige and/or no yearly prestige gain (price awards) not happening.

Last edited:
Missions megathread

OK, lets suggest ideas for missions. Lets try and keep this thread reasonably uncluttered since the developers may well look for and idea or two here. I'm not going to suggest rewards for missions seeing as we don't really know what the appropriate rewards might be. Try and keep to the format I'm using.

Now someone (I cant remember who) suggested countries should have tactical and strategic missions, both of which can be given similtaneously, and I agree. So here goes

RUSSIA

Tactical

Build Trans-Siberian Railway

*Has railway from Moscow to province with flag 'Pacific coast'

Liberate our Slavic brothers!

*One of the following exists
Bulgaria
Croatia
Czechia
(this list could be situation specific. If, for example, Serbia has been annexed, then they could be on it, etc)

Press our claims in the East!

*Own Sakahlin and Kurils

Strategic

Control the straits!

*Owns Istanbul

The Great Game

*No country with flag 'Southern Asian' with border with Russia is 'vassal of UK' except India
*No country with flag 'Southern Asian with border with Russia is in UK's sphere of influence
*Afghanistan is in Russia's sphere of influence

Sweden:

Reclaim Finland!

Reconquer Finland from Russia.

(finish is accepted as a culture + prestige)

Reclaim our baltic provinces!

Reconquer Estland and Riga

(estoninan is accepted as a culture + prestige)

Reclaim Nöteborg

Occupy St Petersburg area

(Change name of St Petersburg to Nöteborg, great increase in prestige)

Unify Scandinavia

Have core in all scandinavian provinces

(all danish is accepted as culture + prestige)

The Swedish/Scandiavian Empire

Own all provinces which is connected to the baltic sea

(massive increase in prestige)

Building Göta kanal

Göta kanal is built between Stockholm and Gothenburg

(possible a channel on map between Gothenburg and Stockholm, a increase in infrastructure, prestige increase)

Swedish neutrality

Avoid beeing part of any sphere of influence or alliance

(unknown effect)

PRUSSIA

Tactical

Kulturkampf

*Zentrum has less support than (I dont know what % this should be)

Ems Telegram

*Provoke war with France (as a spy action)

Strategic

Form Germany

*Prussia wins war against Denmark
*Prussia wins war with AH
*Prussia occupies Paris

NETHERLANDS

Reclaim Belgium

*Owns all Belgian provinces.

Repay our debts

(IMO Netherlands should start out with large debts reflecting their bad economic situation due to the Belgium situation and Willem I)
*Doesn't have debts.

Conquer/Colonize [insert Indonesian island here]

*Owns all provinces in [Indonesian island]

Dutch neutrality

*Avoid being part of any sphere of influence or alliance