• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think a system like the national ideas in EU3 or policies in HoI3 would be pretty nice to model that. Just pick some ideas (some of which should conflict) and thus create a state. New ideas are added with research ("We have researched social state. Absolutelty no scribes allowed." or by decisions or events (e.g. the "revanchism" when you lose cores and are nationalistic).

Ideas could relate to economics, education, science, various areas of politics, etc.

National Idea "Bureaucracy": Clerks conversion rate +5%
National Idea "Sponsor Railroads": Capitalists build more railroads. Capitalist tax rate -10%.

Or something like that.

Oh, I like that. A lot. :)

I think pops will still be used like now. However, they might not nescessarily be divided so heavily into categories as they are now. Rather, I think each pop will have individual levels of education, literacy, religion etc, and depending on the job requirements and political restrictions, the pop will be suitable for different assignments.

Education should also be divided into more detailed levels, not just literacy in general. Even if a pop is 100% litterate, it is not nescessarily suited for all kinds of assignments.