• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
While for me the Victorian era started on 20 June 1837. :D

What happened 172 years ago on my birthday that was so defining?

I'd kinda like to see the inter years included somehow, but if that can't be managed, simply a moddable timeline will do. I can already imagine my Roma to Berlin mod.

What happened 172 years ago on my birthday that was so defining?

Victoria became queen, i've just read in wikipedia.

If they were going to earlier periods then surely they would try to include the Napoleonic wars?

Unlikely, though it would fit just as much in this as EU3.

One thing I would like to see, and makes sense to me.

Have two games overlap time periods some, then allow the savegame converter to be used at any point in that frame

EU3 can run till 1820, and Vicky can run 1789-1939.

1820-1837 are the years of the first industrial revolution. The second most important event in the history of humankind, after the introduction of agricolture and urbanization.

You know, hog all the cotton of the world, dominate the markets, and destroy the competition (local cotton processing in India). Then sink the astronomical profits in the only investment big enough to eat them, new technology. Have the railroad expansion CREATE the steel industry, and this generate in a cascade loads of new industries and new markets.

It is basically the time in which the dominant economic model of the planet changed, and to simulate this in a game is no easy feat. It is MUCH easier to to have two completely different simulations, one before and one after.

1820-1837 are the years of the first industrial revolution. The second most important event in the history of humankind, after the introduction of agricolture and urbanization.

You know, hog all the cotton of the world, dominate the markets, and destroy the competition (local cotton processing in India). Then sink the astronomical profits in the only investment big enough to eat them, new technology. Have the railroad expansion CREATE the steel industry, and this generate in a cascade loads of new industries and new markets.

It is basically the time in which the dominant economic model of the planet changed, and to simulate this in a game is no easy feat. It is MUCH easier to to have two completely different simulations, one before and one after.

Just as all my games in Victoria: Start with a non-industrial country and raise it to a great power with thousands of smokestacks. :D

So, Victoria simulates the change of economic model. Why Victoria 2 can't?

Wow, I go away for a week and I come back to find Vic2 in production-and about time too!

I dont really see why the game could not start earlier to simulate the scramble for the americas as well as africa...at least back to the American rebellion.

I dont really see why the game could not start earlier to simulate the scramble for the americas as well as africa...at least back to the American rebellion.

Because in order to enable that you need data. And you need time to collect that data. And we all know that time = money. Having no unlimited time and/or money, Paradox is more likely to prioritize features over scenarios.

Wow, I go away for a week and I come back to find Vic2 in production-and about time too!

I believe they said that was your punishment for going away for a week.:p

What I'm wondering is if the game will have a "start at any date" feature like EU3 and Rome, or only specific bookmarks, like HOI3 and the older titles.

What I'm wondering is if the game will have a "start at any date" feature like EU3 and Rome, or only specific bookmarks, like HOI3 and the older titles.

Bookmarks.

I'll only ever play from the start date. To do otherwise would be to let history dictate the first 20 or so years of play, and knowing that I could do far better would irk me too much. Though the WWI start was fun the first time I played it and won the war in 4 months.

I'll only ever play from the start date. To do otherwise would be to let history dictate the first 20 or so years of play, and knowing that I could do far better would irk me too much. Though the WWI start was fun the first time I played it and won the war in 4 months.

A civil war scenario would be useful obviously for playing the CSA as well. But other than that, I'm the same way.