• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I know it sounds odd, and a lot of people like the idea of games taking over where another stopped, but:

I would really like Victoria 2 to cover the Napoleon wars. It was at the stretch of EU3 (and even more EU2) to represent it realistic, and I think Victoria would do a much better job, or at least a very different job, giving the player a different game with a different feel. In the much the same way Victoria did a very bad job a representing WW1, so I would rather have Victoria 2 to stop before WW1, and maybe let another specialized Hoi game (but with much more diplomacy) cover WW1.

It was at the stretch of EU3 (and even more EU2) to represent it realistic, and I think Victoria would do a much better job, or at least a very different job.
"Mon Empéreur! Our invasion of Russia has stalled because our luxury furniture factory in Marseilles has run out of tropical hardwood!"

"Zut alors! Quick, tell Davout to expand the timber plantations as quickly as possible! Meanwhile, Marshal Ney should launch a campaign to convert more pops into capitalists!"

Well from our point of view we already have beautifully researched data from Victoria for 1835. Which we do not have for 1821. If we were to start from 1821 say then we would need to have some time assigned over to this research task. I know you are going to say what about Betas, but Betas are volunteers you can rely on them to do things for you but nothing specific. So we would need to budget in house time on this task to make sure we got the research done. Thus starting from 1835 frees time up for game features, events and things like this.

It's a good decision then. The time period '21-'36 can always be included in a mod.

Victoria does the Interbellum better than HoI ever could so unless they make a game even more politics centred Victorias the best for WWI as you have to go though that to get to the interwar, the clues in the name

I'm glad that there will be a successor to Victoria. I just read all about it.

However I hope that the war system be a little more like HoI3, not that we need blitzkrieg, but I like the organisation thing instead of the current Victoria total loss of men means retreat policy. Retreats should be more common in Victoria 2 and not because of loss of men only!

Vicky should really be from the 1840s to maybe...oh. 1905/06.

1905-36 should be a very heavily modified XP or even a new game. The Napoleonic era should definitely cut off the tail bit of EU and play until the 1840s.

That said, I will gladly take 1835-1913; that's what mods and no time-limit cracks are for, to fill in the gaps. Paradox can concentrate on making the engines perfect instead.

Nvm, I didn't notice that they announce the new exp too.

Last edited:
"Mon Empéreur! Our invasion of Russia has stalled because our luxury furniture factory in Marseilles has run out of tropical hardwood!"

"Zut alors! Quick, tell Davout to expand the timber plantations as quickly as possible! Meanwhile, Marshal Ney should launch a campaign to convert more pops into capitalists!"

Victoria should cover the ideologies, the diplomacy and the revolutions much better than EU ever can. Plus the battle balance would be more appropiate for the era.

I know it sounds odd, and a lot of people like the idea of games taking over where another stopped, but:

I would really like Victoria 2 to cover the Napoleon wars. It was at the stretch of EU3 (and even more EU2) to represent it realistic, and I think Victoria would do a much better job, or at least a very different job, giving the player a different game with a different feel. In the much the same way Victoria did a very bad job a representing WW1, so I would rather have Victoria 2 to stop before WW1, and maybe let another specialized Hoi game (but with much more diplomacy) cover WW1.

A dedicated WW1 game in the style of HOI would suck, imo. Remember what happened when you built a whole set of forts along the Belgian border as France in HOI? Yeah...

I think Victoria is better suited to deal with a prolonged war of attrition such as that, because you can feel the strain on your economy as your losses force you to throw out more soldier pops...as well as the chaotic aftermath with revolts springing up everywhere.

More generally, though - the period 1816-1835 was still essentially 18th century to me. Countries other than Britain (and maybe Belgium) were still pre-industrial; there were few factories or railways. Armies still fought with smoothbore muskets. Navies still used sailing ships with multiple decks of smoothbore cannons. Politically, most countries were trying to turn the clock back to the pre-Napoleonic 18th century model; this was the era of Reaction
Nah, for me the 19th C starts with the French Revolution. Granted, EUIII might be better at modelling the Revolutionary/Napoleonic Wars but by 1848 the dual industrial/political revolution that so marked the 19th C was well under way. 1848 was not a sudden bolt from the blue but the result of the previous three decades of progress and tension

Ideally I'd like V2 to cover the period 1820-1923. This gives the period from the Congress of Vienna (plus some lag from EUIII) to the end of the post-WWI revolutionary wave. The intervening decade after this (by which time events are no longer being propelled by the industrial-political revolution) would be best covered by an XP for either V2 or HoI3

I hope that this time Vicky will be better in the late timeline, so, to speak, after 1900. Imho Ricky was good until 1890/1900, later than that date it turned out really REALLY bad: not that realistic, with huge populations and industrialization, with some really advanced nations and other still at the level they were in 1850, and 0 events as well. Please, give us events about the interbellum period.

No it does not rule anything out on other projects. I am refering specifically to Victoria 2 and giving you a one of the reasons (and a quite important one at that) as to why 1835 was picked.

As I am pretty sure that PI is not expecting Vicky2 to make them all billionaires, I am just happen that they have decided to go ahead with it at all. If reusing all the work they did for the start of scenarios for Vicky made it more economic or easier to convince people to make Vicky2 then let's give credit for good project management and common sense.

Now when they finish vicky 2 they should make a game that covers from 50 000 B.C to 1835 A.D then another game that covers from 1948 to 2000. :rofl:
Then PI will be know as the company that makes games that cover all of human history. :D

Personally I would've enjoyed a 1800-1935. The Napoleonic Wars were of a whole new breed and that style of warfare remained the same until WWII (WWI was still fought with this style in mind and WWII was a new type of warfare).

But a Rome Complete + CK2 Complete + EU3 Complete + Vicky 2 Complete + HOI3 Complete that links up into 2000 years of gameplay works just as well.

i think victoria would be funnier if you could start since the begining of industrial revolution.
also i miss a paradox game including the independence of spanish america.