• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well from our point of view we already have beautifully researched data from Victoria for 1835. Which we do not have for 1821. If we were to start from 1821 say then we would need to have some time assigned over to this research task. I know you are going to say what about Betas, but Betas are volunteers you can rely on them to do things for you but nothing specific. So we would need to budget in house time on this task to make sure we got the research done. Thus starting from 1835 frees time up for game features, events and things like this.

And conveniently leaves scope for an XP too, eh? ;)

I guess my major concern is a World War I event. If anyone else has read A World Undone: The Great War, 1914-1918, then you already know how odd it was that there even was a war, and that the circumstances should have and quite possibly could have been so much different.

So, I think adding in the Great War in any respect is precarious. It just should not have happened, and (I know this is a little out there...) but I wonder if we re-played the history like 10 times in 10 different alternate realities if it would turn out the same.

My question, then, is if this game will be more historically driven (i.e., an event that fires which assassinates a cerain Arch Duke of A-H, and hence gives A-H a dissent hit if they don't react militarily (which then brings Russia to arms, etc., etc.), or if the game will simply have like a bunch of requirements (a la HoI3, where you can't annex Austria unless A, B and C are "true") that need to be fulfilled before any major war can happen?

I guess my major concern is a World War I event. If anyone else has read A World Undone: The Great War, 1914-1918, then you already know how odd it was that there even was a war, and that the circumstances should have and quite possibly could have been so much different.

So, I think adding in the Great War in any respect is precarious. It just should not have happened, and (I know this is a little out there...) but I wonder if we re-played the history like 10 times in 10 different alternate realities if it would turn out the same.

My question, then, is if this game will be more historically driven (i.e., an event that fires which assassinates a cerain Arch Duke of A-H, and hence gives A-H a dissent hit if they don't react militarily (which then brings Russia to arms, etc., etc.), or if the game will simply have like a bunch of requirements (a la HoI3, where you can't annex Austria unless A, B and C are "true") that need to be fulfilled before any major war can happen?

My guess would be no specific WW1 event, but with WW1 included as a scenario, so basically the same as in Vicky 1.

Again, Paradox foils my plans to keep Portugal and Brazil united! Curse you! *shakes fist*

Well from our point of view we already have beautifully researched data from Victoria for 1835. Which we do not have for 1821. If we were to start from 1821 say then we would need to have some time assigned over to this research task.
Does this also mean that the new EUIII expansion pack won't extend the time frame forward to 1835? Because honestly, I think that would be a better fit. EUIII gives you all the Napoleonic troop types and national ideas like Foraging and the revolutionary government types, but with only a few years left to use them in, it hardly seems worth it sometimes. Adding an extra 15 years of play at the end of the game would let you feel free to try and emulate Napoloeon and go for WC... And the EU engine needs less in the way of specific demographic and economic data than Victoria would.

Does this also mean that the new EUIII expansion pack won't extend the time frame forward to 1835? Because honestly, I think that would be a better fit. EUIII gives you all the Napoleonic troop types and national ideas like Foraging and the revolutionary government types, but with only a few years left to use them in, it hardly seems worth it sometimes. Adding an extra 15 years of play at the end of the game would let you feel free to try and emulate Napoloeon and go for WC... And the EU engine needs less in the way of specific demographic and economic data than Victoria would.

I agree with you. The 1821-1835 period suits best on EUIII, not on Vicky.

No it does not rule anything out on other projects. I am refering specifically to Victoria 2 and giving you a one of the reasons (and a quite important one at that) as to why 1835 was picked.

No it does not rule anything out on other projects. I am refering specifically to Victoria 2 and giving you a one of the reasons (and a quite important one at that) as to why 1835 was picked.

And I still think that the time frame in between those dates (the end of eu and the start of vicky) would fit perfectly for a future game on the Napoleonic time: a sort of mix between HoI3 and EU3.
Of the wonderful selection of games that Paradox offers, this period looks to me to be the one major gap. Of course the period was modelled in eu2 and 3 but not as more than a sideshow. And besides, it would be lucrative for Paradox, as it's one of the most appealing time-frames for potential customers.

Oh well, maybe in the far future.... Until then, we'll keep on modding.

And I still think that the time frame in between those dates (the end of eu and the start of vicky) would fit perfectly for a future game on the Napoleonic time: a sort of mix between HoI3 and EU3.
Of the wonderful selection of games that Paradox offers, this period looks to me to be the one major gap. Of course the period was modelled in eu2 and 3 but not as more than a sideshow. And besides, it would be lucrative for Paradox, as it's one of the most appealing time-frames for potential customers.

Revolutions added on the interbellum period, but thats already in Vicky 2. I'm willing to bet the first XP for Vicky 2 (assuming there is one) will bring the start date back to 1822.

Again, Paradox foils my plans to keep Portugal and Brazil united! Curse you! *shakes fist*

Colonial invasions and bloody oppression are so much more fun.

Well from our point of view we already have beautifully researched data from Victoria for 1835. Which we do not have for 1821. If we were to start from 1821 say then we would need to have some time assigned over to this research task. I know you are going to say what about Betas, but Betas are volunteers you can rely on them to do things for you but nothing specific. So we would need to budget in house time on this task to make sure we got the research done. Thus starting from 1835 frees time up for game features, events and things like this.

Works for me. The narrower the focus, the more concentrated the awesomeness.

I don't like it. My suggestion would be to start in 1816, after Nappy was sent to St.Helena. That's really when the Victorian Era started to me, not 1835. I'd be willing to take a delay in the game for that. The end date sounds about right.

I'd be almost as happy if EUIII was expanded to 1835, as long as the tech tree was adjusted for the advances of that time.
I think the period 1816-1835 belongs more in Vicky then EU series though.

My suggestion would be to start in 1816, after Nappy was sent to St.Helena. That's really when the Victorian Era started to me, not 1835.
While for me the Victorian era started on 20 June 1837. :D

More generally, though - the period 1816-1835 was still essentially 18th century to me. Countries other than Britain (and maybe Belgium) were still pre-industrial; there were few factories or railways. Armies still fought with smoothbore muskets. Navies still used sailing ships with multiple decks of smoothbore cannons. Politically, most countries were trying to turn the clock back to the pre-Napoleonic 18th century model; this was the era of Reaction.

If anything, I'd have said 1848 was better as the starting date for Victoria 2, but I accept giving the player ten years to lead up to that event works better.

Colonial invasions and bloody oppression are so much more fun.
Perhaps, but also tremendously unrealistic in this regard :(

My guess would be that they perhaps add an aditonal years in the new Eu3 expansion to get the timeframe together.

My guess would be that they perhaps add an aditonal years in the new Eu3 expansion to get the timeframe together.

I doubt it. EU3 is already so long that most people dont even play the full game, Johan already said he wasn't into a timeline expansion and leaving this open would leave room for a Vicky XP with an earlier start date

I doubt it. EU3 is already so long that most people dont even play the full game, Johan already said he wasn't into a timeline expansion and leaving this open would leave room for a Vicky XP with an earlier start date

You seem to know more then me I guess you are right then.

I agree. Seems like a Napoleanic game with a much tighter focus on the that time period, would make for a very interesting game. Kind of like how HoI only focuses on 7-10 years, an EU: Napolean might focus on just a 15-20 year time period, providing for a richer, more accurate, more complex representation of the period than what EU3 is able to do with its much wider scope.

Wow. Just wow. If I was the sort of person who cried I probably would be by now.
Vicky has been my world for the last few years. To hear there's a sequel in the pipeline is probably the best thing to happen to me this year.
Sad but true.