• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

kierun

Colonel
21 Badges
Aug 26, 2007
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Stellaris
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
What will be the start and end time period of the game?

How about the USA civil war?

Is WW1 planned to happen?

Will we have the great depression?

I hope that those will have semi-historical setting like in HOI3 so that it will happen but not when and not exactly as in history. I hope that those will have bookmarks that we can play as they started in history.

Anyway, many thanks for the announcement.

Features
• Deep engrossing political simulation, with dozens of different types of governments.
• Detailed economy with over fifty different type of goods and factories.
• Historical game-play on a large map covering the entire world.
• Over 200 different countries can be played, from 1835 to the start of world war 2.
• Advanced Technological system with thousands of inventions to be discovered.
• Possibility to export a save game at the end of the game into HoI3.
• A streamlined interface, which makes the game easily accessible.
• Automation of various tasks, including trade and population promotion.
• Advanced spheres of influences system, where the great powers battle over the control of the world.
• New types of pops, including bureaucrats and artisans.
• Cottage production simulating pre-industrial economies.
• Gunboat Diplomacy, no need for negotiate as a fleet outside a port may be a more persuasive argument.
• Overhaul of education, where clergy educates people of the same religion, and each pops have their own literacy levels.
• More reform categories with more options to select from in each.
• New election system with coalition governments and an upper house/senate.
• Historical and Dynamic missions guiding your country through the history.
• Thousands of historical events and decisions.

That's about the start and end of the game anyhow :)

it'll end in 1913 then release a ww1 expansion pack. you should know this trend by now :)

1835 eh? I suppose the "start at any point in time in history" of the Clausewitz engine means that Johan doesn't have to be so heavy handed with a 1836 start in order to play as Texas. ;)

it'll end in 1913 then release a ww1 expansion pack. you should know this trend by now :)

Yes the Hearts of Iron 3 converter will simply ignore your 1913 saved game and simply create a game that looks just like the 1936 start in Hearts of Iron 3. We think this will be easy to code and be historical as well.

Yes the Hearts of Iron 3 converter will simply ignore your 1913 saved game and simply create a game that looks just like the 1936 start in Hearts of Iron 3. We think this will be easy to code and be historical as well.
Good one. :D

1835 to 1935 is a great timeframe, and its also exactly a century. It fits perfectly.

Expansion packs do not have to add more years to be worth purshasing - but its entirely possible that an xpack could add 1820-1835 later on. Why not?

Or they could just make EU4 end in 1835. ;)

• Thousands of historical events and decisions.
This means they're date driven or a least they should occur in a plausible fashion ?

Anyway that looks great, do the combat engine, because it need serious improvements will be this time closer to EU3 or HOI3 ?

Why is that Paradox continually insists on leaving leaving the years between 1821-1835 unmodeled? I'm not trying to sound whiny, it's just weird. :p

Why is that Paradox continually insists on leaving leaving the years between 1821-1835 unmodeled? I'm not trying to sound whiny, it's just weird. :p

Maybe they're leaving room for Vicky expansion: "Victoria 2: The Holy Alliance". IMO perfect starting point for 19th century game would be the end of the Congress of Vienna.

I think it has a lot to do with the 1830s and early 1840s being pretty boring in Victoria anyway, as no-one apart from Britain could really start developing until after the mid-game. Extending it back would either lead to 15 extra years of twiddling of thumbs, or open up the door for unrealistic developments.

And further back would be even more problematic, as you'd need pretty complicated events to simulate the wars of liberation in Latin America.

Fully agreed. I've no idea why they've never done this. Its not as if it would take a lot of work to model the years 1815-1835

Because I think 1835 is a more balanced starting year. By that time, central and south america's countries were all indipendent, Belgium was about to become independent too, etc. I think it's better to add that timeframe to EU3.

Yup, the spring years of the Holy Alliance and the resulting European Concert of powers would be very interesting. A player could get used to pretty peaceful relations in Europe, only to watch it all come down in the Crimean War.

Edit: Badly emu-ed. You guys have good points gameplay-wise. It could still be interesting for playing a Great Power.

Well from our point of view we already have beautifully researched data from Victoria for 1835. Which we do not have for 1821. If we were to start from 1821 say then we would need to have some time assigned over to this research task. I know you are going to say what about Betas, but Betas are volunteers you can rely on them to do things for you but nothing specific. So we would need to budget in house time on this task to make sure we got the research done. Thus starting from 1835 frees time up for game features, events and things like this.