• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Geezuz

Sergeant
15 Badges
Aug 8, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Magicka
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • BATTLETECH
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Empire of Sin
How do I know how far my land based radar stations range is?

I have radar lvl 3 researched, and apparently my station in Cherbourg does not reach to Portsmouth (no bonus visible in the air combat there). Which is fine, but now I am wondering how far DOES it reach? That be useful to know, and so far I have failed to find a way to determine this - the tooltip saying +20.00 or whatever isnt really helping. clicking on the station highlights it, and doesn't do anything else as far as I can see.

Anyone know?

Hah! that clears something up. I've build my radar stations via the production menu button. Which was a big mistake - because that builds a level 1 radar station. What a waste of my time...so the only way to build a decent radar station is via the map, where I can build select how high a level my radar station is supposed to be.

well thanks, I'll now be able to actually build this properly. Honestly, that button in the production menu should be removed, or there should be a way to build higher level stations.

too bad I wasted a bunch of IC and time on my level 1 stations...

ah, well. I know better for next time :)

btw - just hypothetical - how do I know what range a level 3 station would be? before or after I build it, don't matter...

Hah! that clears something up. I've build my radar stations via the production menu button. Which was a big mistake - because that builds a level 1 radar station. What a waste of my time...so the only way to build a decent radar station is via the map, where I can build select how high a level my radar station is supposed to be.

well thanks, I'll now be able to actually build this properly. Honestly, that button in the production menu should be removed, or there should be a way to build higher level stations.

Nononononono!

Building in the production menu is a MUCH better way to do it. If you build them on the map, you're not building an immediate level 10 radar station or whatever. You're queuing up a series of stations which will be built one at a time. From the production menu, you can order up 10 radar stations to be built in parallel, meaning they'll all be done at once. Then you can place all 10 in the same province for an instant level 10 station.

btw - just hypothetical - how do I know what range a level 3 station would be? before or after I build it, don't matter...

The best way to build your stations easy and quickly is to give paralel order of 10 station when you deploy them they will take time (9 to 10 days for each station) to be actived one by one to reach 10 level you have to wait near 90 days.
when you give order from province interface all will appear in production interface in serial order:so you have 2 disadvantages:
1-you will not get practical bonus which decrease cost and time for next building.
2-you have to wait along time to reach level 10 radar station.

screenshot for radar 10 level near maginot RADAR IS VERY VERY USEFULL TOOL.IN WW2 RAF won the battle against luftwaff because of AGOOD USE OF RADAR.

radar0.jpg

Nononononono!

Building in the production menu is a MUCH better way to do it. If you build them on the map, you're not building an immediate level 10 radar station or whatever. You're queuing up a series of stations which will be built one at a time. From the production menu, you can order up 10 radar stations to be built in parallel, meaning they'll all be done at once. Then you can place all 10 in the same province for an instant level 10 station.

I'm sorry, but that is just stupid. Your radar station's range not big enough? Just build *the same radar station right next to it* and it will increase? That is not how it works.

Sorry, but that is a very gamey mechanic that does not at all reflect how radar works.

I'm sorry, but that is just stupid. Your radar station's range not big enough? Just build *the same radar station right next to it* and it will increase? That is not how it works.

Sorry, but that is a very gamey mechanic that does not at all reflect how radar works.

Uhhh... It's the same as building it from the province interface, only by a different method...

Uhhh... It's the same as building it from the province interface, only by a different method...
Yes I know, and that's rubbish as well. I didnt realize it was both the same before.

Now that I know that, my argument is not one method is fine and one isnt, I am argueing the entire way it works is not reflecting the way radar works.

if it did, then why has nobody simply built a large battery of small radar stations next to each other, and then they have complete coverage of the world!

Yes I know, and that's rubbish as well. I didnt realize it was both the same before.

Now that I know that, my argument is not one method is fine and one isnt, I am argueing the entire way it works is not reflecting the way radar works.

if it did, then why has nobody simply built a large battery of small radar stations next to each other, and then they have complete coverage of the world!

Don't look at me, lol. Radar stations, rocket testing sights, IC, and nuclear facilities all work this way. Strangely, though, airbases and naval ports don't. I don't quite follow the reasoning. And of course, infrastructure and forts can't be built from the production menu at all.

... so radar is like AA, Industry and Rocket Site ? ... that you could just place 10 at one time.

But Airfileds and Ports only ONE , they have to been built from the map up to 2-10.

Bunkers and Infrastructure you could only build from the map interface.

I don't know for Nuclear Reactor !

RADAR SHOULD, if the range getting higher (ARE YOU SURE) when there are more than 1 in a field, buildable LIKE Airfields and Ports. (ONE placeable rest from the map)
And I think Rocket Site also should ONLY be buildable from the map !!!

If it is ONE Piece you should be able to place 10 at once ...

so it is 10x Level (you researched) AA
it is 10x Level (you researched) IC
but it is

ONE Level X Airfield you have on this province (up to ten times bigger than the first one)

SO IF RANGE from 10x Radar is higher it should work like an Airfield, Port, Infrastructure and Bunkers ...

the difference is QUANTITY to LEVEL if it should be build dirct from the MAP or in the Production Screen !

Rocket Site should be only buildable from the map, and of course Atomicreactor also !

Last edited:
... so radar is like AA, Industry and Rocket Site ? ... that you could just place 10 at one time.

But Airfileds and Ports only ONE , they have to been built from the map up to 2-10.

Bunkers and Infrastructure you could only build from the map interface.

I don't know for Nuclear Reactor !

RADAR SHOULD, if the range getting higher (ARE YOU SURE) when there are more than 1 in a field, buildable LIKE Airfields and Ports. (ONE placeable rest from the map)
And I think Rocket Site also should ONLY be buildable from the map !!!

I don't know the reasoning. I'm just saying what I've seen from playing.

A Level 10 Radar station isn't just a bunch of Freyas thrown together. It's larger, more powerful stations combined with a well-staffed SIGINT station and dispersed listening posts monitoring enemy communications. Add good Encryption/Decryption techs and some decent spies and you've got Bletchley Park. That's whats showing you the divisions deep in France, not the Radar itself.

Or just call it an abstraction and be done with it.

I also build a few high lvl radar stations and have to admit they are very usefull. How good are they well my estamte is range is about 45-50 km for each lvl, thats view range, picking up radio signals from enemy units is at least twice that range if not more. So a lvl 10 radar station lets you look 450-500 km away and lets you pick up radio signals twice that range - with the right tech that is.

I believe level is abstracted to size.

Obviously if you build a bunch of small radar stations next to each other, the gain is minimal. What I believe the game is abstracting is that if you increase the radar a level, you increase the size of the radar station and the number of radar stations. Granted, if you are in the middle of a war and want to build a large scale radar system, you would probably just skip a few steps and build exactly what you want the first time.

The game also ignores triangulation required for an effective radar system. However, this game is not a science game used to simulate how radar stations work and how they are built. I am glad they decided to pretty much fully abstract concept like IC, radar, AA, etc because there becomes a point when you spend more time micromanaging minor details than you do playing the game.

This is what you are looking for:10 radar stations spread over maginot line nice looking is it !!!!:mad:

10spreadradar.jpg

A Level 10 Radar station isn't just a bunch of Freyas thrown together. It's larger, more powerful stations combined with a well-staffed SIGINT station and dispersed listening posts monitoring enemy communications. Add good Encryption/Decryption techs and some decent spies and you've got Bletchley Park. That's whats showing you the divisions deep in France, not the Radar itself.

Or just call it an abstraction and be done with it.

ah I'm not in the mood to argue this, it's just not worth it. However I am not sure if I really like the fact that basically all radar in the game has the same potential range, no matter how advanced it is. Unless that is somehow not how it works and I still don't get it :)

ah I'm not in the mood to argue this, it's just not worth it. However I am not sure if I really like the fact that basically all radar in the game has the same potential range, no matter how advanced it is. Unless that is somehow not how it works and I still don't get it :)

Radar range is based upon efficiency (increasing radar tech) and decryption. Also, radar range is based upon the level of the radar.

Every time I increase either of these, it seems like my range increases slightly.

TO BE SURE ... so it is now , if I would have placed my 60 radars on 6x10 it would have shown me everything ... now I have them all over the coast (france, belgium, netherland, germany, poland) and it shows me nothing (1940, radar level 3) ...

okay that is stupid, as I have built them all at once ...

PI should change it that way

ONLY Level 1 placeable (like Ports, Airfields)
ONLY BUILDABLE direct FROM MAP from level 2-10
AND ONLY UP TO THE LEVEL YOU HAVE DEVELOPED !

Than range should increase !

Radar range is based upon efficiency (increasing radar tech) and decryption. Also, radar range is based upon the level of the radar.

Every time I increase either of these, it seems like my range increases slightly.

How do you know? I still don't know how to tell how far radar actually reaches. It would be nice if I clicked on one if it showed me somehow, but either I am blind (which is possible) or you really can't tell.

ONLY Level 1 placeable (like Ports, Airfields)
ONLY BUILDABLE direct FROM MAP from level 2-10
AND ONLY UP TO THE LEVEL YOU HAVE DEVELOPED !

Than range should increase !

1-you can deploy them all at once in a same provice they are not like airfield.
2-better to build them from production window with serial paralel order not serial order.why???
you will get:
1-all will be ready quickly in the same time serial will take very long time.
2-your practical bonus will be boost because of paralel order serial order is useless.when you give order from map for several radar station in the same location order will be executed as a serial mode order(more time,and no practical bonus).
3-when you build from production window all your buildings wait in the pool to be deployed you can deploy them where you wish and when you wish you are not limitedd by location or by time.