• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am saddened to see Nagumo take the bullet (no pun inten...wait, yeah there was pun intended!) for the failed Pearl Harbor but someone must take responsibility! Now the Phillipines should be cake to ta...oh my god! They must have Ewoks defending the beaches and the IJA are Stormtroopers! It all makes sense now...

Good AAR update and awaiting more! I know the Monster of Malaya (who is that masked man leading the 18th?) will succeed where no one else would!

haha yeah, we'll stick with Ewoks. The performance of Imperial Japanese troops really is that shameful. Thanks alot for commenting/reading.

Hell, I thought it was intentional. If it's not, you can always twist it so it is for future reference. ;)

Yeah I'm a little too honest it seems lol. Thanks for following!

I'll subscribe to this. You have a good format and I like your little style of Army/Navy upgrades.

It is a shame your Strike At Pearl Harbour didn't go as planned, but it wasn't exactly your fault.

In the future I do advise you to to more recon on your invasions, as the Phillipene debace shows.

Best of luck to you, and to Godo!

Thanks so much! and thanks for wishing Godo luck also, he'll need it if he wants to stay an admiral and not wind up commander of a laundry ship or worse...

anyway. Army update should be up very soon and possibly Navy update tonight.

A Day of Infamy, Japan 1941 AAR
December 1941: Imperial Japanese Army Update

The month of December has been a turbulent one for the Imperial Japanese Army. There have been several victories and several setbacks. There is much to report so let us observe current IJA situation in China.

chinaadvanceintoencirle.jpg

The situation in Southern China

Several Chinese militia divisions have advanced into territory that had been previously encircled. In doing so they have actually managed to encircle a lone Japanese division. However the situation on this front looks worse than it actually is. The encirclement of the lone Japanese division is about to be broken, the advancing Chinese divisions are about to be met by their battle-hardened antagonists and several Japanese attacks accross the front are succeeding in routing the Chinese defenders. Three days later the situation appears to be under control:

3dayslatersouthernchina.jpg

The advancing Chinese divisions are being assaulted and the encirclement of our division is being broken from two sides. Three days after the said actions the front looks much more favorable:

3daysafter3daysafter.jpg

Note: The lone encircled Japanese division has been saved!

The Chinese militias appear to be unable to stop our advance, something markedly different from the militia in the Philippines, however the Philippino militias are fighting IJN troops, not the elite soldiers of the IJA!

Towards the end of December the front calmed, save a small attack or two, due to the Generals not wanting to put their divisions out of supply.

southchinaendofdecdec23.jpg

Note: A Japanese division is advancing from the south to close a pocket and encircle Chinese militia divisions.

The front in central China was mostly a defensive front. There were only three Japanese division to hold of the swarms of Chinese soldiers. Even worse, there were holes in the Japanese lines entire provinces wide. The strategy here was to wait until the Japense division from the northen front advanced down into south-central China. Ideally the advancing divisions from the north would be able to encircle a large part of Chiang Kai-Shek's armies. This is only ideal, as long as the advance of the northern divisions is able to keep the chinese advance in central China in check than the plan will be a success.

centralchinaarrow.jpg

So far the most disastrous front for the IJA has been the Indochina front. The Guangxi Clique, a group comprised of only Li Zongren and several other pathetic warlords, has advanced largely unopposed into several territories in Indochina, even worse a British division has also been spotted in Indochina. Japanese divisions are being dispatched to take back what is rightfully Japan's but they will not arrive until January. So, for right now at least, Japan must deal with the humilation of decadent and weak Englishmen and foolish warlord pawns occupying its territories in Indochina.

indochinabad.jpg

The IJN has promised to send troops to the Indochina front but their promises mean nothing, besides their soldiers ca--

AN URGENT UPDATE HAS JUST BEEN RECEIVED: Communist China, the safe haven for the true riff-raff of Chinese society, has declared war on the Empire of Japan. This promises to seriously destabilize the front in northern China and in doing so jeapordize the front in central china. Here is the latest map of the front:

commiechinawar.jpg

The Communists have already taken two provinces and could possibly take even more because the area was lightly defended. To deal with the threat of the Communist Chinese encircling our Armies the IJA has ordered any and all forces on the Russian border to immediately travel to China.

manchuriaredeploy.jpg

With the addition of Mao Zedong's armies into the fray the situation in China has bleakened. While there is not a doubt in the minds of the Japanese High Command that the IJA will be successful, having to fight the Communists in the mountains of China will certainly delay victory and consume many precious tons of fuel and supplies in the process.

And so it is that December 1941 ends on an urgent note for the IJA. The situation truly is do-or-die. Hopefully the day Communist China declared war will not be another day like December 7th, a day of infamy for Japan. Until January, Imperial Japanese Army HQ out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry it took so long to get this update out. Hopefully I'll have the IJN update up tonight.

Last edited:
So, the war in China's a bit more difficult than anticipated, huh, given the reinforcements you're pulling in from the Soviet border. Watch out though, in case they try to backstab you.

So, the war in China's a bit more difficult than anticipated, huh, given the reinforcements you're pulling in from the Soviet border. Watch out though, in case they try to backstab you.

I was thinking the same thing! If things start going south, the Soviets might take advantage of that...
Although, did the Communist Chinese align with the Allies?

Doh! I wouldn't have taken those troops off Mao's Border!

Anyways, while it looks like you are about to see a little trouble there, your Southern Front looks to be doing well.

I'm shure Indochina will turn out to be fine, let the English and Guangxi think they marching into easy territory!;)

Time to send in the Stormtr...er...the IJN!! Take the beaches and retake Indochina! :D Good update and I like your reporting style.

Time to send in the Stormtr...er...the IJN!! Take the beaches and retake Indochina! :D Good update and I like your reporting style.

Haha, I can only imagine my IJN soldiers being as inept as Imperial Stormtroopers, completely missing enemies only feet away!
Anyway, thanks for the compliment!

China's a lot bigger then I remember...but so is everywhere else :D. A large front with crappy infrastructure...I was very much looking forward to delegating China to the AI, though it might not achieve the results I want with the resources I'm willing to give it.

Yeah, the toughest part is that I'm so used to HOI2 and everything being a cake walk. I dont trust the theatre AI that much because I've seen them do some pretty dumb things in my german game.

Doh! I wouldn't have taken those troops off Mao's Border!

Anyways, while it looks like you are about to see a little trouble there, your Southern Front looks to be doing well.

I'm shure Indochina will turn out to be fine, let the English and Guangxi think they marching into easy territory!;)

I probably shouldnt have in retrospect, oh well I guess. I don't think comchi or the guangxi clique will be that much of a problem, assuming the supply situation doesn't deteriorate further.

I was thinking the same thing! If things start going south, the Soviets might take advantage of that...
Although, did the Communist Chinese align with the Allies?

yeah I'm concerned about the USSR also. In HOI2 they were practically hard-coded to not DOW until germany was done, but this isnt HOI2 so I'm totally clueless and kind of concerned.

Yeah china was going OK until everybody went out of supply for a breif period and then the commies declared war. I think I'll still be able to beat china though, it'll just take alot longer because of having to march through stupid, low inf mountain provinces that are full of commies :mad:

Thanks for reading and commenting everyone!

An empty Manchurian border.

I know Uncle Joe's busy with Hitler, but if I were him and Moscow was saved, this is the exact moment when I would declare war against Japan.

Isn't this about the time the USSR decided to send all its troops in Siberia west anyway?

Getting an actual shooting war under control is better then a potential war. Isn't the main reason the Japan AI gets beat badly is because it garrisons the USSR border and ignores China?

It's a risk, of course, but ending the war in China quickly and decisively (and then guarding the border) might well be worth it.

Subscribed and fantastic AAR.

Thank you so much:)! I appreciate it.

An empty Manchurian border.

I know Uncle Joe's busy with Hitler, but if I were him and Moscow was saved, this is the exact moment when I would declare war against Japan.

Well I looked at Germany's eastern front and it seemed that neither Germany or the Soviet Union were doing all that much. The Germans had a province that was next to Moscow so I figured(or should I say HOPED TO GOD!) that Stalin would be too busy to worry about Manchuria.

Abandoning the border with the Soviet Union to deal with China is a bit gamy in my opinion. Other than that great AAR.

Thank you for following and for the compliment! Try not to think of it as "abandoning" the border so much as temporary withdrawl from the border to help get china under control. Problem was that I really, really needed the extra divisions. Once they are no longer necessary, back to the border they go! Thank you for questioning the validity of my tactics though and keeping me honest, it's appreciated.

Isn't this about the time the USSR decided to send all its troops in Siberia west anyway?

Getting an actual shooting war under control is better then a potential war. Isn't the main reason the Japan AI gets beat badly is because it garrisons the USSR border and ignores China?

It's a risk, of course, but ending the war in China quickly and decisively (and then guarding the border) might well be worth it.

These are pretty much my thoughts on the matter. The extra divisions from the border are really going to help matters in China(provided they can stay in supply *shudders*)

Well everybody thanks for commenting and reading. I should have the IJN January update posted today, and maybe the IJA January update late tonight but no promises on that one.

An excellent AAR and I appreciate the responses to everyone's questions. I am just starting a 36 Japan campaign, but expect I will face many of the same issues in China.

A Day of Infamy, Japan 1941 AAR
January 1942: Imperial Japanese Navy Update

The Imperial Japanese Navy decided that January could not be another December. Progress had to be made or Japan would give up the initiative in the Pacific to the Allies and possibly lose the war.

The Philippines
The first action the IJN took in January was to land more divisions in the Philippines. The plan the Admiralty had devised was to capture the province of Lucena and then advance on San Pablo, a province that bordered Manilla. Once San Pablo was captured the divisions there would assist General Baba's troops in capturing the Philippino Captial city. The province of Lucena was unguarded and IJN soldiers had little difficulty capturing it. San Pablo however was guarded by none other than the arrogant Douglas MacArthur!

attackonmacstarts.jpg

MacArthur had only HQs to defend San Pablo, he must have sent San Pablo's regulars to defend Manilla. He apparently under estimated the capabilities of the Imperial Japanese Navy if he was to think that we would only send a single invasion force. General Watanabe was competent enough to deal with MacArthur's trio of HQs and several days later he captured San Pablo and began supporting Baba's attack on Manilla.

babaandwatanabe.jpg

Even the addition of Watanabe's divisions were not enough to subdue the defenders of Manilla much to the everlasting shame of the IJN. Hirohito and Tojo at this point were so furious that they directly ordered several IJA divisions from Manchuria(ones that were being sent to China, which was thought to be a much more important front, even by top IJN officials) to be transfered to the IJN and used to assist with the invasion of Manilla. The Army and Navy High Commands complied with the order and soon enough Admiral Koga's Invasion Force shipped the units to the Philippines. There order was to assault Manilla itself:

manillaamphob.jpg

By the end of January it seemed Manilla was finally going to be taken! In February the Philippino and American troops shall pay for the shame and humiliation they brought upon Japan...

The Greater Pacific
While the Philippines was the central focus of the IJNs operations, the Pacific Islands were still not ignored, althought originally they were going to be until a startling piece of intel from a CAG commanded by General Kondo.

nobodyatpearl.jpg

The American fleet was no longer at Pearl Harbor. Godo sent his CAGs to patrol the waters sorrounding Hawaii but nothing was found. This meant that the US fleet was somewhere in Japanese waters. What made the situation even more desperate was a telegram the Japanese High Command recieved that same day from Armaments Minister Kobayashi Ichizo reading only:

outofgas.jpg

Almost the entirety of Japanese naval operations were ordered to stop. Even Godo's carrier fleet was ordered to return to port! Only three fleets were allowed to operate: Yamamoto's fleet of battleships(only as long as they were assisting the capture of Manilla by providing shore bombardment), Koga's Invasion Force responsible for reinforcing the Philippines, and a fleet commanded by Admiral Ozawa.

Admiral Ozawa's fleet was responsible for capturing American naval bases in the Pacific. His fleets mission was crucial because now that Godo's CTF had failed to engage the Americans and could no longer engage them due to the fuel shortage, the only way the American fleet could be kept away from Japanese waters was to control all American naval bases in the Pacific that posed a threat. This task was accomplished in suprisingly short order and with zero casualties. Guam, Wake Island and Johnston Island all fell to Japan in January.

guamattack.jpg

wakeisland.jpg

johnstonisland.jpg

The worst news of January comes from Malaya. The motorised division sent to capture Singapore was ambushed, encircled and destroyed. However in the true spirit of the Bushido code the brave soldiers of the IJN fought to the last man and defended the honor of their Nation. This was the most recent map of IJN operations in Malaya:

malayadeath.jpg

Transmissions from Fujii's division stopped on January 30th 1942. He and all of his men are to be commended as heroes. Had the IJN not rushed into Malaya and not needed the extra manpower in the Philippines the Fujii and the Malaya offensive could have been saved, however this was not so. Regardless, Fujii knew the risks and brought honor to his nation. The defenders of Malaya will soon suffer the wrath of the Empire of Japan!

January has been a bitter-sweet month for the IJN. The defenders of Manilla have finally begun to crack and American presence in the Pacific is weak at best. However the fuel situation is concerning. While the twenty day deadline that Minister Ichizo proposed proved to be an exaggeration, fuel is still in short supply not only among Japanese stockpiles, but of the stockpiles of many of the Axis powers.

Provided that Japan can secure its fuel supply, February should be a successful month. The Admiralty predicted the Philippines should fall by the end of February! Also many other American naval bases are projected to fall under Japanese control. Some officials have even suggested an invasion of Hawaii take place in February but that is often dismissed as a rumor. Until then, IJN HQ out.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for a short update, not that much really happened on the Naval end because of the whole fuel thing. If the IJA update is not up tonight it'll be up sometime friday/friday night hopefully. Thanks alot for reading and commenting everyone!

Losing the Motorised Divisions has to hurt.

At least you finally have a decent foothold in the Philipenes.

On the flip side, its one less division using up your precious fuel.

I thought I had already read this AAR, but better to join late than never. :p
A finely looking AAR. :cool:

Thanks so much! Its great to have you, Enewald!

An excellent AAR and I appreciate the responses to everyone's questions. I am just starting a 36 Japan campaign, but expect I will face many of the same issues in China.

Thanks alot Justus2. The most important thing about attacking china is SUPPLIES! make sure you research the supply technologies or you'll be in a lot of trouble once you start advancing deep into china.

So, the great southern movement has begun. Banzai!

Banzai indeed! I hope to rid the pacific of the western imperialists very soon!

Yeah when I landed the extra divisions in the philippines and I was still losing I said enough was enough. My biggest fear was that my transport fleets were going to get intercepted by the RN or the USN and destroyed. Luckily the british or US navyies are nowhere to be found(yet anyway).

On the flip side, its one less division using up your precious fuel.

Yeah thats the way I looked at it. The fuel situation is soon approaching critical mass and even getting rid of one division that consumes a decent amount of fuel helps a little(also it helps because I don't have to send convoys there anymore, freeing up convoys for trading energy/oil/fuel)

Thanks for commenting and reading. I might actually do the IJA January update tonight because I'm really bored and want to play the file and don't want to play too far ahead w/o updating first(i'll get confused with all the screen shots!)