• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Did you port strike with all your planes? The air stacking penalties are quite severe, and having more then 4 CAGs in action at once severely reduces their effectiveness. (This makes the historical efficacy of massed carrier power hard to replicate in-game).

This is a potentially challenging start, because you can't build up your tech/practicals, and you have precious little time for all those long-building ships.

Will definitely be following this, good luck!

Wonderful! Does this scenario start before or after Pearl Habour? With ships already damaged or will do you have to organise a strike yourself? If so, are naval strikes more deadly this time?

Anyway, I'll be reading :)

Thanks alot Gigalocus. Starts before Pearl Harbor. My own organized strike failed miserably :(

Banzai! This is the exact scenario I want to get my feet wet in once I get HOI3. Subscribed-- and best of luck.

Thanks for subscribing Jonreb, I'll need the best of luck in this scenario. Low tech, low resources, not that many divisions and an angry USA...:wacko:

Subscribed (obviously!) Good hunting... :cool:

Brisduv, thatnks alot for subscribing. Hopefully I can sink some american CVs/BBs

Did you port strike with all your planes? The air stacking penalties are quite severe, and having more then 4 CAGs in action at once severely reduces their effectiveness. (This makes the historical efficacy of massed carrier power hard to replicate in-game).

This is a potentially challenging start, because you can't build up your tech/practicals, and you have precious little time for all those long-building ships.

Will definitely be following this, good luck!

I did a port strike with 5 CAGs. There were tons of ships at the port, maybe thats why I couldnt do any damage? A bunch of the smaller ships(CLs and DDs) lost their org, that was about it. I guess maybe naval bobmers are beter for port striking, not for damaging ships, but for logistics. An enemy cant supply alot of guys from a lvl 0 port. Anyway, thanks for following, Comtrav.

Update today, maybe within the hour even.

A Day of Infamy, Japan 1941 AAR
December 1941: Imperial Japanese Army Update

The war with China started in 1937, while initially progress was quick it now seemed that the Imperial Japanese Army had bitten off more than it could chew, as the saying goes. The Chinese had numerical superiority but many of their soldiers, if you can even call them that, we're poorly trained militia. They were not the well trained soldiers of the Japanese Army. Still, the situation in China was far from a perfect one. The army was stretched out across a wide front, even worse, the supply lines were abysmal:

chinasupply1.jpg

There are several dead-zones at the front that are out of supply, no doubt a cause of the treturous terrain and the abhorrent condition of the infrastructure.

The severity of these problems is magnified by the fact that Japan is now at war with the worlds greatest economy, the USA, and it allies. Therefore the Chinese front must be won as quickly as possible so that the soldiers there can be used to combat Allied might in the Pacific.

The Attack Plan for China
chinasouthattack1.jpg

On the southern front the plan is to have several divisions advance into the encircled chinese territory, and then meet up with the front-line divisions who are to make only limited advances until they are met by the divisions who closed the gap.

Now the attack plan for the northern front:

chinanorthattack1.jpg

The northern front is slightly different. The divisions in the center are not to advance until the the divisions on its flanks catch up with it. This is to prevent easy encirclements by Chinese forces.

An often forgotten front is that of the front against Li Zongren's lackeys, the Guangxi Clique. This nation of petty warlords is most certainly going to be a thorn in the side of Japanese ambitions in China. We currently have several divisions in their territory, but not enough to make a breakout and force a surrender. What is worse is that they have soldiers on the border with Japanese Indochina. Several units are being redeployed to meet the Guangxi threat.

guangxifront.jpg

We have captured some territory from the warlords, but you can see that we do not possess the strength in numbers to push them back

indochinaredeploy1.jpg

Several divisons are ordered to redeploy to northern Indochina.

Those plans have been approved by Hirohito and Tojo and are set to be put into action immediately. Our strategy in China is infallible and will crush the Kuomintang forces in short order. Until then, Imperial Army HQ out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
(I'm splitting the updates by whether they fall under the realm of the IJA or the IJN, since historically they never really got along to well and were rivals iirc. Any amphibious invasions I'm going to put on the IJN updates, don't know if this is historically correct or not but the navy needs something to report. The next update will be tonight and will cover some naval stuff/amphibious operations. Again, thanks alot for reading!)

Last edited:
I think your first priority might be to improve logistics. If they're failing to supply your armies in China, think of how much worse they'd fail in the Pacific! :eek:

Would increasing research for supply throughput be enough to get those troops fed?

Or would there need to be extensive building of infrastructure?

Because I would definately focus on improving supply throughput as much as possible.

Interesting update and disappointing result on PH. After seeing it occur, I presume you watched it unfold in real time? What changes would you prefer to see? How could PI improve port attacks? And did you send in a 2nd and/or 3rd attack wave?

Ah, the joys of preserving one's armies from being swallowed in the maw of the Chinese black hole... :)

A very nice update!

Black hole indeed. In HOI2 I could wrap up china in short order. Wonder if I'll be able to here.

I think your first priority might be to improve logistics. If they're failing to supply your armies in China, think of how much worse they'd fail in the Pacific! :eek:

Yeah I'm seriosuly considering it.

Would increasing research for supply throughput be enough to get those troops fed?

Or would there need to be extensive building of infrastructure?

Because I would definately focus on improving supply throughput as much as possible.

Well I'll have to focus on throughput since I don't have the spare IC/time to build infrastucture. Ideally China will be finished in spring '42 and I will no longer need the infrastructure there.

Interesting update and disappointing result on PH. After seeing it occur, I presume you watched it unfold in real time? What changes would you prefer to see? How could PI improve port attacks? And did you send in a 2nd and/or 3rd attack wave?

Yes I watched my CAGs fail miserably in real time. I had them port attack about 3-5 times until I saw an American CTF leave the port and disappear. I assumed he was headed my way and bolted. I don't know if port strikes are broken or not because my doctrines/techs are bad, so that might be the reason for why the attack was so useless. In my game as germany I have alot of tech/doctrines and while I dont sink any ships in a ports strike I do moderate to heavy damage(pending on how many/what type of ships are in port)

next update either tonight or tommorow morning.

Are you planning on picking up Malaya with its treasure trove of basically free rare materials?

Building infrastructure would help your logistical situation, but in my experience it takes too long. Reshuffling your commanders to put in any Logistics Wizards or Commandos might help some, but I'm not sure how many of either you have.

A Day of Infamy, Japan 1941 AAR​
December 1941: Imperial Japanese Navy Update​

After the disastrous raid at Pearl Harbor the Imperial Japanese Navy was the laughing stock of the world powers. The blame for this was placed squarely on one mans shoulders, Chūichi Nagumo. He failed to damage a single ship and he also failed to inflict any significant damage on the naval base itself. After the Strike Force returned from the attack Nagumo was releived of his command. He committed suicide shortly afterwards. It seems he was unable to even do that correctly. He opted to but a bullet into his head instead of committing honorable seppuku. He shamed Japan and the Emperor, he shall not even by honored by a picture of him being shown to commemorate his death...

The carrier task force was put under the command of Admiral Godo, a more competent official to say the least. He took the fleet close to Hawaii. His plan was to engage the American carriers in limited skirmishes. By doing this he hoped to tie down the American fleets in a hopeless pursuit, a "cat and mouse" situation as it were. He wanted to keep the American fleets occupied to give the transport fleets the freedom to land troops on the many Pacific Islands, therefore expanding Japanese influence in the pacific, also to keep American combat vessels away from Japanese shipping until more convoys could be created. His plan was approved and set into action:

godocarriermove1.jpg

If Godo so much as loses a single carrier the Japanese Admiralty and the United States Navy will have somthing in common, wanting him destroyed.

While Nagu--Godo's Strike Force was attempting to frustrate the enemy, transport fleets carried brave japanese soldiers to meet the enemy.

singaporeattack.jpg

One of Japans few motorized divisions was ordered to make a fast advance on Singapore.

A motorized division was landed in British territory, south of Siam. Their objective is to advance on Singapore, a so called british "fortress". Conquering this peninsula is crucial because of its high resource content. As soon as the knuckle-dragging Imperial Japanese Army finishes its work in China, troops will be freed up to help stabilize this front.

Speaking of the IJA, The IJN has decided to send several divisions to China to aid them. An amphibious assault was launced on the Chinese coast. The single territory they landed on was, for all intents and purposes, worthless. However, they have an unguarded path to a Chinese airfield and more importantly, are in a very good position to assist the IJA divisions on the southern front encircle Chinese forces.

amphibassaultchina.jpg

Singapore and China are not the only objectives the IJN has. The Philippines are also in the sights of Imperial Japan. Many divisions were loaded into the transport ships and sent to conquer the Philippines. What happened there however was...unexpected.

philippinesattack1.jpg

The soldiers of Imperial Japan are appearing to be bested rag-tag Philippino militias. If General Baba does not get results...if he somehow manages to create a land-based pearl harbor...The situation speaks for itself, all of the men of the Japanese military know what will happen to Baba if the Philippines are not captured because they all have brains in their head. The only exception is a man whose brain ended up splattered on the wall of an aircraft carrier in Kwajelein...

Moving on...

The IJN however has managed to find some good news despite the grim performance of its forces. A picture will suffice, after all they are better than a thousand words.

02_yamato.jpg

Behold, the Super Battleship Yamato! The Allied navies shall tremble at the sound its guns and be crushed under the barrage of its shells. The Allies have nothing in their arsenal that can contend with its might. the Yamato shall be a marauder of both the British and American fleets. It is the pinnacle of Japanese ship building and the apex of the battleship. The Japanese Admirals all applauded when its counter was added to the strategic map in headquarters.

yamatodeploy1.jpg

Who would ever think that something so insignificant could represent something so fearsome and deadly?

Now that the Yamato was finished, Japanese factories could be used to produce other weapons of war. Now what to produce was a different story entirely. Armaments Minister Ichizo had to endure being berated by both IJN and IJA officials about what was more important to build. Eventually he did the right thing and decided to focus production on marine divisions for the IJN. What use were regular infantry divisions in a naval war where sinking ships and seizing islands were crucial? Besides the Generals all say they will have China defeated in less than two months, so why would they need infantry? Still, Minister Ichizo promised them one extra division.

productiondec1941.jpg

Not pictured in the production queue are two carriers and several convoys. It seems Ichizo is intelligent and far sighted and has decided to produce what the IJN needs. NOTE: The dismal amount of convoys and the resource deficits

So it would seem that December was not as fruitful as the IJN had hoped it would be. The American fleet is completely intact, although Godo has plans to delay their sorties into Japanese waters.

The Philippine nation apparently has the bravest and best soldiers on earth if their "militia" is able to best Japanese regulars(and tanks) in combat, but hopefully those setbacks are only temporary.

The best news so far is the deployment of the Yamato. It has joined Admiral Yamamoto's battleship fleet. The fleet is scheduled to bombard the shores of Manilla to aid our soldiers against the apparently well trained "militia" of the Philippines. When this task has been fulfilled the fleet is to seek and destroy any British fleets in the Pacific. The reasoning behind attacking the fleets of Britain, the over-the-hill great power, is that British fleets can freely roam into Japanese waters from their numerous Pacific bases. And if Godo is successful in his task to destract the Americans than the Royal Navy is the only force that can attack Japanese shipping and surface vessels en masse. Therefore Royal Navy presence in the are must be sought out and exterminated. The Yamato is the perfect ship to have for this task.

Thus, December has passed. The IJN will report again after its operations in January have taken place. IJN, out. Long Live Hirohito!
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Army update sometime tommrow(hopefully).

Last edited:
So it begins then. Interesting that Nagumo is the one held responsible and not the CAG leaders. :p

To be entirely fair, Nagumo is the one who ordered them out en-masse with no thoughts of the stacking penalty :p

So far so g- ehhh, what do these Philippinos THINK they are doing?

Are you planning on picking up Malaya with its treasure trove of basically free rare materials?

Building infrastructure would help your logistical situation, but in my experience it takes too long. Reshuffling your commanders to put in any Logistics Wizards or Commandos might help some, but I'm not sure how many of either you have.

I'm going tpo try. Hopefully the brits have a light garrison there. My game near-crashes whenever I load up the generals screen. After firing Nagumo I don't think my game can handle it another time lol.

So it begins then. Interesting that Nagumo is the one held responsible and not the CAG leaders. :p

I didn't even think about that! I just figured "The buck stops here" he was the man in charge so he gets fired. Sorry if it breaks realism or makes the AAR bad. I didn't even you could promote leaders to the CAGs(This is my first naval HOI3 game)

To be entirely fair, Nagumo is the one who ordered them out en-masse with no thoughts of the stacking penalty :p

So far so g- ehhh, what do these Philippinos THINK they are doing?

I couldn't believe the situation in the philippines either. Hopefully they aren't reinforced by american troops or else the war might as well be over.

I forgot to put a screenie of the production menu in my last update. Its fixed now. Sorry for making such an amatuer mistake. It's probably not a good idea to update when all you want to do is just go to sleep. I'll probably have the next update later today. Thanks for reading everyone.

I am curious why you chose to invade the Philippines at the heart of their defences, did you not do any recon?

I also question the need for so many expensive Marine divisions when there are great needs for hundreds of transport/convoy ships and aircraft. Should be fun to watch the multiple suicides of the IJN and IJA high command. Have you played HOI2 before? Sorry for the criticism, best of luck.

I am curious why you chose to invade the Philippines at the heart of their defences, did you not do any recon?

I also question the need for so many expensive Marine divisions when there are great needs for hundreds of transport/convoy ships and aircraft. Should be fun to watch the multiple suicides of the IJN and IJA high command. Have you played HOI2 before? Sorry for the criticism, best of luck.

I thought the Philippines would have only a couple of inept infantry divisions, and therefore recon wouldn't be necessary. I was wrong :( I chose that landing spot because it was close to a port and I thought I could land, and then capture the port quickly to keep my guys in supply.

I am building several convoys but they cant be seen on the production queue, beleive me convoys are really important to me in this game. marines are as well though because i really have very few free divisions.

I've played HOI2 tons before and thats probably the problem. I'm still thinking its HOI2 and I can waltz all over China and the UK. Don't worry about the criticism, I'm glad to get a response.

Last edited:
I am saddened to see Nagumo take the bullet (no pun inten...wait, yeah there was pun intended!) for the failed Pearl Harbor but someone must take responsibility! Now the Phillipines should be cake to ta...oh my god! They must have Ewoks defending the beaches and the IJA are Stormtroopers! It all makes sense now...

Good AAR update and awaiting more! I know the Monster of Malaya (who is that masked man leading the 18th?) will succeed where no one else would!

After looking at some of the non-1936 loads, I don't think you should be too troubled by your lack of technology atm; EVERYONE has poo technology in these starts. (No one has any doctrinal research in the '44 scenario.) And ships/planes don't require leadership, so you can go tech-heavy if that's your focus.

I can't believe the Philipinos are as tough as they are. Are they getting a large bonus modifier? Looking at the screenshot it's hard to tell, but it's possible you're getting the 'multiple combats' penalty for conducting an offensive north while the guys next to them are counterattacking you.

I didn't even think about that! I just figured "The buck stops here" he was the man in charge so he gets fired. Sorry if it breaks realism or makes the AAR bad. I didn't even you could promote leaders to the CAGs(This is my first naval HOI3 game)
Hell, I thought it was intentional. If it's not, you can always twist it so it is for future reference. ;)

I'll subscribe to this. You have a good format and I like your little style of Army/Navy upgrades.

It is a shame your Strike At Pearl Harbour didn't go as planned, but it wasn't exactly your fault.

In the future I do advise you to to more recon on your invasions, as the Phillipene debace shows.

Best of luck to you, and to Godo!