• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Danevang

Lt. General
29 Badges
Jan 16, 2006
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • East India Company
  • Deus Vult
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities in Motion
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
Hi everyone,

I've been messing about with the effects folder in an attempt to improve the, in my oppinion, pretty tame cannon smoke in EIC, and also the front water splash on ships. Canon shake has also been reduced, to lessen the "firing a canon in a small tub" earthquake-like feel. I'm quite convinced that a massive ship of the line could fire it's canons without shaking so much, that all on board would have been bouncing up and down.

It's a work in progress, but I believe that I've managed to change it to the better already.

NOTE: It's only been tested on my own pc, so I have no idea about performance in general. I don't think that it make any real difference to performance though, but let me know if you experience any.

-Danevang

Last edited:
Good stuff, battles need more smoke in this game. :)

I iwll try it out. Thanks.

EDIT: It looks really cool, especially when you're commanding the ship from the deck and smoke clouds your vision for a while.

I tried 5vs5 Frigates and didn't notice any slow down so maybe you could prepare an Ultra version with even more smoke? Or at least a guide how to cloud the battlefied. :)

Last edited:
Do you remember those old pirate movies from 60s or 70s when ships shooting were simply drowning in smoke? I watched quite a few when I was a kid and that's how I always imagined a ship fight would look like, so much smoke you can hardly see the other ship. :)

So, though I appreciate the realistic attitude of EIC devs (gun smoke at open sea with strong wind should not form freaking clouds), I love your mod for adding more smoke so the game looks like those old movies.

yeah they spit out LOTS of smoke and a good amount a flame.Even modern day howitzers spiy out crap loads of smoke (called wolf p**sy no joke!). Im not sure about the cannons n ships of the age, but the big guns on modern battle ships actualy do move the ships when fired

Thanks, glad someone else than myself is enjoying it. :) I'm working on a version with much more smoke, but it still needs a bit of work to look properly with all ships. I'll keep you posted on further development. :)

-Danevang