Thread: Frustrating game

Angry Frustrating game

Does anyone else experience strange things in this game?
    Things like:
    All your armies being invisible on the map.
    Mouse pointer freezing and the game locking up.
    Upon exiting, the graphics behind the menu only half there
    (the lower half).
    And, in easy mode, the enemy having two dozen or more squads
    with you having a limit of 8 as well as a time limit.
    This game has totally fed me up and I'm ready to return it.
    I have a powerful computer and I experience no problems
    in other 'ware.
    Please help me understand.

Yes, the game is kinda annoying, and that is why I'm on the 3rd mission in the campain and I don't plan to get farther. That's why I've been trying to get people in here to play the game online (through Hamachi since the actual online in the game doesn't work). No one ever answers though. The game has potential, but definately not through single player.

East India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's Ambition

I just picked up the game last night and have been toying around with it. So far it looks gorgeous and seems to have a fun model. I haven't had time to do much with it yet, though, I was just stopping in to check the forums before launching a game. I haven't experienced any of the issues you describe. Have you patched it? I got a boxed copy and patched the official patch. So far, seems pretty stable (but I have NOT gone far).

I'm definitely up for trying multiplayer, that's one of the principal reasons I bought it, to see how the multiplayer works. My wife and I played a lot of HoMM and it looks vaguely similar. I'm hoping that it's more sophisticated than HoMM, and as fun to play as Panzer General was. If that's the case, my wife and I will be playing it on the LAN a lot.

But the buzz I read just about everywhere is not good. So I'm cautiously optimistic.
    Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Well lol if you wanna play multiplayer with me, join mah hamachi network!!! "elonline" on both name and password. The reason this game seemed interesting is cause of Advanced Wars. I've been playing since the first one and yea. Been hooked ever since.

Crusader Kings IIImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IIThe Kings Crusade
    Majesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneV2 BetaHoi 2 Beta
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Baronvonaaron View Post
    Does anyone else experience strange things in this game?
    Things like:
    All your armies being invisible on the map.
    Mouse pointer freezing and the game locking up.
    Upon exiting, the graphics behind the menu only half there
    (the lower half).
    I have experienced none of these, but these sound absolutely terrible to suffer. My condolences.

And, in easy mode, the enemy having two dozen or more squads
    with you having a limit of 8 as well as a time limit.
    This, however, is not a problem. The game is pitched at a higher level of difficulty than most strategy games made these days so it comes as a shock to many people without experience in the games from the 90'ies that it is the spiritual successor to (the 5-star Generals games). Don't get intimidated by squad numbers - quality is far superior to quantity in this game and in Elven Legacy you have generally got elite units compared to everybody else.

The solution is to learn how to scout properly, how to take advantage of terrain, and how to make damn sure not to overextend yourself, but so long as you are willing to play on easy and don't attempt to go for a gold medal you should have plenty of time to learn how to do so. Going for the gold time limit (particularly on the higher difficulty settings) requires the player to deliberately overextend himself and is utterly unforgiving of mistakes.
    Finally got around to writing a list of my AARs in the inkwell.
    For those interested in Dominions 4 (SP or MP), we organize the Wrinkletoes games and answer general questions related to the game in this thread.
    Current ongoing Wrinkletoes 3 Dom4 game's list of players: linky.

Does anyone know how to access the other campaigns in single player mode?

I have found the game bug free to be honest and I think it is fun to play, but have only been able to access the Elven Campaign.

The manual mentions a human and Orc campaign. Anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

Thanks!

Crusader Kings IIImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IIThe Kings Crusade
    Majesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneV2 BetaHoi 2 Beta
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by brownie9697 View Post
    The manual mentions a human and Orc campaign. Anyone have any thoughts on this issue?
    They don't exist. It is a known bug in the manual. See e.g. this thread.
    Finally got around to writing a list of my AARs in the inkwell.
    For those interested in Dominions 4 (SP or MP), we organize the Wrinkletoes games and answer general questions related to the game in this thread.
    Current ongoing Wrinkletoes 3 Dom4 game's list of players: linky.

Thanks - bad news - but thanks it will save me the hassle of pulling my hair out trying to figure out what is wrong.