• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Beladriel

Not a 15 year old anarcho-communist
11 Badges
May 9, 2008
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Divine Wind
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
1st of February, 1943.

HoI3_5.jpg

As the T34's bullet ripped apart the wall, Schultz didn't have much to think about. As the wall behind him was being shredded to thousands of pieces, the only sound he could hear was an annoying whistle.

To know the Russian Machineguns were shooting, he needed no sound.

While he started supression fire with his rifle, the sound came back to him. The things he was hearing could only be mentioned is "scary".

An entire Russian company was roaring "urrah" while bayonet charging at the ruined building he and his comrades were in. If the Russians had waited a little while longer, Germans would be forced to withdraw anyway, due to the lack of bullets. Alas, Stalin had ordered them to take the City with bullets, with bayons and with their bare hands.

Schultz knew he would die soon. Russians who cared nothing about the heavy losses they were about to suffer, were a horde impossible to stop.

---

After 6th Army worth of 23,000 men was encircled in Stalingrad, and 66,000 men in nearby areas, German aims were simple.

Save whatever's possible.

6th Army was in an unbreachable castle, but the remaining 66,000 men had no choice to surrender, and so, February would see a Russian offensive behind the actual frontlines.

According to Field Marshal Keitel's orders, OKH (which was now under the command of Gen. Guderian, as Zeitzler wasn't doing nicely) would start an offensive instead of digging in and holding the line. To the north, Heeresgruppe Nord would launch an offensive on the Russians to the south of Lake Ladoga for two reasons. First reason was to help the Finnish to the northeast by drawing more Russian attention, and the second reason was making sure Siege of Leningrad went uninterrupted. Heeresgruppe Nord's commander von Küchler's decision wasn't a popular one, as it included an assault on frozen soil defended by a very close amount of Russians.

HoI3_1.jpg

Assault on the Northern Front.

Middle Front was a different case. For both sides, Middle was weaker then the usual. And so, Germans launched two assaults on two Russian spearheads. Marshal von Klüge, commander of the Heeresgruppe Mitte, was the luckiest of all as the positions he was attacking were mostly exposed to German assaults on more then one side.

HoI3_2.jpg

HoI3_3.jpg

Assaults on the Middle Front.

South was Germany's weakest front, after the failure in Fall Blau. For this reason, an offensive wouldn't happen at this moment. Instead, von Manstein (of Heeresgruppe Don) and von Kleist (of Heeresgruppe A) would simply move their reserves to the front for an assault at Batajsk Region. Batajsk Region was important for both Army Groups, due to the Region being the only Soviet land between two fronts.

HoI3_4.jpg

Movements at the South.

It appears to be seen if Wehrmarct's latest gamble will prove fruitful.

Reactions:
Our first '43 scenario! You know, I've not actually loaded it up even to look at. This should be quite interesting!

Thank you, people.

The game's in 1.1 with everything under AI control except the Eastern Front. Things are going slow. Five days into the game and already faced the might of the Union.

---

While OKH was organizing for assaults on the Soviets, Russians had no need for organizing. STAVKA would order a series of assaults for the next five days. First part of this assault would be dubbed as "One Hour Assault", as it took only an hour for OKH to order a retreat in these two assaults.

HoI3_6.jpg

HoI3_7.jpg

Embarrasing defeats for Zeitzler. Note the events are happening before Guderian reached OKH command in Prussia.

One of these assaults was launched on Nasva, belonging to Luftwaffen-Feld-Korps and a reserve division. Göring's personaly army was no match for the hardened Soviets. Loss of the battle also negatively affected the assault on Russian lines to the South, which was cancelled as soon as the Luftwaffe Field Corps were forced to retreat.

HoI3_8.jpg

One Hour Assault's more important effect.

To the South, Russians would engage in a massive reorganization, meaning bad times were coming for Heeresgruppe Don and Heeresgruppe A.

HoI3_9.jpg

Massive troop movements.

So far, OKH offensive was only succesful in Djat'kovo, which was only defended by a division.

HoI3_10.jpg

So far, the only thing going good.

To the North, a heavily dug in Soviet force was impossible to breach at winter, so the already delayed assault was canceled for now.

HoI3_11.jpg

Bad news reached von Manstein's moving headquarters. Rostov-na-Don was under attack and outnumbered two-to-one. Having no choice but to retreat, mostly foreign forces would retreat and wait for von Manstein's soldiers to arrive.

HoI3_13.jpg

Battle of Djat'kovo would prove as the most bloody battle of the war since February so far. Soviet division would retreat, while an another was moving to take it's place and delay the attackers.

HoI3_14-2.jpg

Heeresgruppe A would move on to the way of an assaulting Soviet division, for further efforts in making sure von Kleist remained on the east side of Azov.

HoI3_15.jpg

Heeresgruppe Don would suffer the War's most embarrasing defeat. Foreign corps would be easily pushed back by a much, much more smaller Soviet force.

HoI3_16.jpg

Second Soviet division would reach Djat'kovo and throw itself at the harm's way.

HoI3_17.jpg

Behind the Russian lines, Armata Italiana would show extreme skill by fending off a bigger Russian force. Perhaps the Italians could be saved?

HoI3_18.jpg

Who knows, those Italians might yet save the day :)

Did you have time to think of a strategy, or are you first going to try and stabilize the situation and only look for opportunities later?

Who knows, those Italians might yet save the day :)

Did you have time to think of a strategy, or are you first going to try and stabilize the situation and only look for opportunities later?

Stabilitiy can't save me in this war, as I'm spending most of my IC (or the AI is doing) on supplies and still unable to supply fully. While Russian war machine gets bigger and bigger, I'll stay the same (and most likely without supplies/reinforcements), so, I have to act fast and strong. Of course, that's a tiny bit hard.

It might be time for a backhand blow as which Manstein gave the Soviets at Kharkov, but a bit earlier than that...

Looks to me like the sheer increasing weight of the Soviets will eventually break apart your line. You'll need to accomplish something decisive, like a more successful battle of Kursk.

Stabilitiy can't save me in this war, as I'm spending most of my IC (or the AI is doing) on supplies and still unable to supply fully. While Russian war machine gets bigger and bigger, I'll stay the same (and most likely without supplies/reinforcements), so, I have to act fast and strong. Of course, that's a tiny bit hard.

You might have a little surprise in that department further along the road.

A 1943 scenario as Germany .. this has great potential.

Ultimately I think you are going to have to take the gamble. Sitting back and defending ultimately isn't an option.

Sorry for not updating, people. Got some real life business going on. I'll be updating it at the night, and if I get the time, perhaps a little bit earlier.

So far, only real problem posed by Russians is at the North. At the South, I'm attacking as soon as I get the oppoturnity (and my soldiers accept attacking).

Note: Making a small update right now, but I think I'll update once again at the night if I can play.

A lone Slovakian division met a strong offensive by the Russians after a German one is sent to to Southwest to help the defences. Soviets were showing more attempts to close the Kouban front to eliminate the threat to Baku.
HoI3_19.jpg

One of these attempts came to 17th Army at the same front, with an overwhelming amount of Russians. Heeresgruppe A at the front was ordered to hold eastern side of Azov as long as possible, simply to occupy the Soviet attention.
HoI3_20.jpg

Djat'kovo is captured, and the division defending it is pushed back after a bloody battle. So far, the most succesful battle since Guderian received his promotion to Marshal and took the command of OKH.
HoI3_21.jpg

von Manstein's Heeresgruppe Don launches a massive assault on Rostov-na-Don. This gamble played by von Manstein, as the Germans attacking from east are exposed to assaults on their fronts, is seen as the only way to save the Don Front from retreating.
HoI3_22.jpg

An attempt by Heeresgruppe Nord to open up a breach in the Soviet lines ends poorly, as the attacking forces are hit by a flank. Busch's Heeresgruppe would eventually manage to fight off the attackers, but their own attack would be forced to stop.
HoI3_23.jpg
HoI3_24.jpg

In an attempt to support the encircled Italians, Heeresgruppe launches an assault on a superior Russian force. Due to the lack of supplies in the Army to the Northwest, the attack is forced to cancel, but von Manstein belives they had bought some more time for the Italians.
HoI3_25.jpg

Heersgruppe Don, so far the most succesful Army Group, launches an another massive attack on a lone Soviet division, which most likely has no chance of holding the line.
HoI3_27.jpg

To defend better, Heeresgruppe A decides to smaller down the front.
HoI3_28.jpg

i was just wondering how are your doctrines, because i think you still have to start van 1918 up? Especially the one operational level command. Is there a way to change them?????? (i mean by changing the file or something)
by the way keep on reading this thread

The Soviets are putting up quite a fight. Have you considered stripping AG North and Center of all their mobile elements and giving them to Don?

Nice job I'm rooting for you to win but if the Soviets breakthrough fight till Berlin and every soldier has sacrificed themselves for the Reich.:)