• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(57513)

Corporal
May 29, 2006
How do I keep my armies supplied? This is an issue I've been having awhile. I had about 5 armoured divisions just run out of supplies, which made them unable to move. Needless to say, it getting very annoying.

Supply depots are automatic. We need more info to figure out your current problem. What country are you playing and where are the troops in question? I had this problem with my forces in Europe running out of supplies, and I tracked it down to Germany getting control of Gibraltar, cutting off all my supply routes.

Just ran into a similar problem myself with an armygroup been sitting on the border to Yugoslavia for about a month now and no supply line from Berlin seem to form. Also have a problem keeping an airwing in Munich supplied even if it has been stationed there for the past 2 years.

That happens periodically, but if the supplies are running low enough that it lasts until his units are completely out and can't attack, that sounds more like something actively disrupting the supply lines.

I'm playing as Germany. I was invading Yugoslavia when the issue struck. I don't know what's going on, but it's annoying.

Hmm... that's odd. The only thing I can think of right off the top of my head is poor or bombed out infrastructure. I assume you have a land connection directly to Berlin?

Supply depots are automatic. We need more info to figure out your current problem. What country are you playing and where are the troops in question? I had this problem with my forces in Europe running out of supplies, and I tracked it down to Germany getting control of Gibraltar, cutting off all my supply routes.

I am not the OP, but i have had supply issues where I have a huge campaign in russia, have 99999 supplies in storage, I advance into russia perfectly fine barely ever running out of supplies even when im 1200 miles east of the original border!

However, i go and move units near the coast of france, and they move a province or 2 and quickly just run out of supplies. This is in 1942 when ive had freaking france for over 2 years.

Not only do they run out of supplies but they run out for over a week, and cant move at all!

WHAT THE HELL?

its a joke.

Noone knows how supply system works. Its really just confusing.

I am not the OP, but i have had supply issues where I have a huge campaign in russia, have 99999 supplies in storage, I advance into russia perfectly fine barely ever running out of supplies even when im 1200 miles east of the original border!

However, i go and move units near the coast of france, and they move a province or 2 and quickly just run out of supplies. This is in 1942 when ive had freaking france for over 2 years.

Not only do they run out of supplies but they run out for over a week, and cant move at all!

WHAT THE HELL?

its a joke.

Hmm, yeah, that does sound seriously messed up. I dunno.

Supply is just broken IMO.

Two provinces with the same infastructure. One he gets full supply, the other he sits for years. Makes no sense.

They need supply choppers you can fly around and drop off supply to a province. Or the ability to build depots.

Sounds like problems in automatically creating supply routes.

I've also had units sitting in my own territory, right at the start of the game, with no wars going on, and the unit is out of supply, while other units in neighbouring provinces and even further away are in supply. (And I still had supplies in stock, not much, but still enough to last a few months.)

Supply is just broken IMO.

Two provinces with the same infastructure. One he gets full supply, the other he sits for years. Makes no sense.

They need supply choppers you can fly around and drop off supply to a province. Or the ability to build depots.

Actually, being able to manually build depots might be helpfull. Although it would add even more micormanagement, so it's hardly a perfect solution. Maybe if it was just easier to see where the depots get placed and why you're having supply issues. The game in general would benefit from more explination whenever you're in a situation where something can't be done.

WHAT THE HELL?

its a joke.

I've had that happen as well. And the thing is, I haven't been getting bombed at ALL, I took out France and the UK. So far my skies have been clear. It's just rediculous. Nothing sucks more than being in the middle of an offensive and your units just getting out of supply.

Please register the game.

Supply is not broken. Read the manual and strategy guide. Then re-read it again.

Supply
Supply moves one province per day
Supply tax the cost of moving supplies, (fuel supplies)
Out of Supply will not reinforce, update Org or Upgrade
Effects
Port Size
Infrastructure
Paraplanes
Difficulty level of game
techs tech required
Unit effected
HQ_brigade.....large_front
.....................guerilla_warfare
paratroops.......airborne_warfare_equipment

All..................supply_transportation..........supply_transfer_cost
All..................supply_organisation.............supply_throughput

Edit: Added
Here's another thing that effects supply; Economic Law

For example:
Germany has Mixed Industry for a 5% gain to throughput.
Heavy industry for a 10% gain to throughput.

Last edited:
Please register the game.

Supply is not broken. Read the manual and strategy guide. Then re-read it again.

Supply
Supply moves one province per day
Supply tax the cost of moving supplies, (fuel supplies)
Out of Supply will not reinforce, update Org or Upgrade
Effects
Port Size
Infrastructure
Paraplanes
Difficulty level of game
techs tech required
Unit effected
HQ_brigade.....large_front
.....................guerilla_warfare
paratroops.......airborne_warfare_equipment

All..................supply_transportation..........supply_transfer_cost
All..................supply_organisation.............supply_throughput

It might not be broken but it can behave very, VERY strangly.

Had the same happen what claestw described. Started a game as germany, ran fine until the start of 1937. Suddenly I was getting the message that some of my troops within Germany arent getting supplies. The units where supplied for one month, then the next they again werent. At the same time I was overproducing supplies and the rest of the soon to be mighty Wehrmacht got their stuff without any problems, just these three poor guys two provinces away from Berlin wherent getting their food+drinks.

During this time I was at peace, had an ample stock of supplies ready for distribution, industrial capacity to spare, was at peace, not moving any troops at all, sitting in 100% infra provinces .... it was just that the game decided to not deliver the supplies to that province.

Actually, being able to manually build depots might be helpfull. Although it would add even more micormanagement, so it's hardly a perfect solution. Maybe if it was just easier to see where the depots get placed and why you're having supply issues. The game in general would benefit from more explination whenever you're in a situation where something can't be done.

OK... I agree with you.. but since you seem like a comprensible guy... tell me how the FK we can play this SC WW2 game without proper supply rules?

From the description provided of how supply moves through provinces, I'm guessing the process of actually calculating movement each day must work something like this:

1. Current supply draw of each unit is calculated to determine how much should be transferred from one province to the next along whatever "route" is used from capital to unit.

If units were to not move and their supply needs didn't change, and ideally, if there weren't flow restrictions, this would lead to a "steady-state" solution with the amount of supplies in each province being the superposition of all the individually calculated amounts for each unit.

Since units can move around and needs change, there would always be the possibility of temporary shortages as the system adjusted to a new configuration, but those should go away given enough time.

2. Now, since there are limitations in the throughput of provinces, and those vary from province to province, we can't use an algorithm to calculate each route that simply calculates the shortest route for each unit independently and then adds them all up. In fact, we can't use any algorithm that calculates routes independently.

So what they are probably doing is an iterative approach. Somehow, an order is determined, perhaps using some criteria to judge priority, perhaps not. The first route is calculated, probably by minimizing a cost-function. Now the "map" topology is adjusted to reduce the throughput "ceiling" in provinces along the chosen route.

This process is repeated for all the remaining supply-draws (units) in the list.

Now the problem is that after getting partway through this list, if there are enough draws off in one direction with any sort of bottlenecks large or small in between, then it is possible that "walls" can start forming of provinces that have all reached their cap. Sometimes these walls will prevent a route from being found for some units further down on the list.

The thing is, if the list of units had been prioritized differently, the walls might have started forming in completely different places, and may not have ended up blocking off anyone.

In some cases, situations where it might be easy for a person to see how the list should be reprioritized aren't so easy for the computer algorithm to anticipate.

I think in game terms this would probably show up as solid strings of green (fully-used) and/or red-striped?(infra-limited?) provinces that lie across any route you could draw between your mystery-unsupplied unit and capital(or port). The only thing you might be able to do about it is to shift or remove some of the forces on the low-supply side of walls like this (or if you have control of the seas, build a port maybe).