• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

delra

Master of Orion
34 Badges
Jan 27, 2008
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
I would like to put Poland in, there's no historical reason for that so devs will never do it but I would like to at least try doing that myself.

First of all don't panic. It must be easy cause NG edited out Venice and added Empire on the last minute to expand German market. Some early reviews even mentioned Italy in the game which shows how late it was done.

I spent a while with game files and figured out it's impossible to add a new faction on top of existing ones but it's not that hard to overwrite one of existing ones with our desired faction, whatever you want it to be, Turkey, Ireland, Genoa, Tunisia or maybe Norway.

Steps I am aware of already include:

- Replacing one of existing factions, most probably Empire since they have least reason for being in the game and also are mentioned as Italy in game files so are easiest to find.
- Moving Empire's capital to another position on the map, probably via Data/AI/tradeareas.txt (I saw coordinates there). Gdańsk would be my choice here but more about it later.
- Renaming everything in Data/locales/_strings.txt that mentions Germans and change it to mention faction of my choice. Germans have all their variables set as "Italy" so it won't be much trouble locating all entries and changing them.
- German dude's face with beard and everything won't work for Poland so he has to be overwritten in Data/GUI/nation_faces.dds with some historical sailor of ours, maybe that guy who was the king of Madagascar for a while, I forgot the name. All other faces would have to be overwritten to contain historical sailors for those nations so our guy doesn't stand out too much. All photos are on wiki sadly it won't be possible to make them different for angry/calm/friendly but maybe it can be expressed with a color stamp over them or whatever.
- Changing flags in Data/Models, Data/Parts/Solids and Data/GUI. Thankfully Poland has only Red+White so it won't be that problematic as it would be if there were too many stripes and stars and a guy on a horse on top of it. Still I have no idea what software to use here for .dds and .dhp files.
- Sounds would have to be switched so they play basic english stuff, I don't want sailors to shout with German accent.
- Preparing pools of ship names and captain names. This one will be a huge bitch to complete but maybe EU3 pools might be used?

So basically, I would be pretty much all set to start coding it in...

But the problem is, you can't sail into Baltic currently.. at all. Danish straits are like solid land so my faction would be cut off.

Any suggestions how to go around that?

Last edited:
Removing some land would require editing the heightmap which is buried inside some mission file. It may be possible to dig it for editing and put back in but I can't say for sure, i'm not at work atm.

Other notes, port placement is at Data/Missions/Generic_02/generic02_units.dhps - just vim it. .dhp files are also text. Editing .dds files, see the modding tutorial at game website.

Is there any reason why Baltics and Black Sea are locked? Like performance for example? Maybe they could be unlocked in a patch?

Nice idea.

We all like Paradox games for the reason to play 'what might have happened if...', so i look forward to see a Poland mod.

Is it possible to get other harbours then the yet known ones?

+1

have the game for a week, ane am wondering if EIC can not be turned into a Europe/african/Asian Game, by adding The Medditerranean Sea (arabs, Greeks, Venizians)

or a free campaign of being a pirate King or suchylike :)