• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

delra

Master of Orion
34 Badges
Jan 27, 2008
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
Galleon is way too strong in vanilla game in my opinion. To make it less tank-ish I decided to nerf it a bit to make it fit in with other ships of pre-Frigate era better. It's still the toughest and strongest ship of that period of time, just not as strong as it used to be.

In detail, I:
- removed warship attribute
- lowered hull and sails to 500
- raised max crew to 150 and minimal crew to 30 to increase cost
- lowered cannon range to 880 from 1100
- switched from heavy to medium cannons

To use the change you need to paste the following snippet to your \East India Company\Data\AI\shiptypes.txt file instead of whatever is there currently in the Galleon section.

galleon
{
// name from locale
type = str_SHIP_TYPE_GALLEON

unit = uSHIP_galleon

part1 = pSH_ga01

speed_strategic = 0.05
speed_tactical = 0.75
maximum_speed = 8

hitpoints_hull = 500
hitpoints_sails = 500
hitpoints_cannons = 18

crew_max = 150
crew_min = 30

cannoncrew_size = 3

price = 75000
unlockPrice = 150000
repairPrice = 10

repairHullPrice = 26
repairSailPrice = 9
repairCannonPrice = 200

ammoPrice = 20
crewPrice = 10
marinePrice = 20

buildTime = 6

cargo_space = 100

cannon_range = 880
cannons_max = 18
cannon_type = 1

solid_max = 180
grape_max = 90
chain_max = 90
fire_max = 90

visibility_range = 1000

sailing_range = 2500

shipyard_min = 3

available_from = 1600

hull_low = -4.9
hull_high = 9.0
sail_low = 10.5
sail_high = 60

draft_min = -2.0
draft_max = 2.0

sail_speed = 0.6
bank_speed = 0.025

arcade_turn_speed = 0.015
arcade_rudder_max = 22.0

normal_turn_speed = 0.015
normal_rudder_max = 19.0

simulation_turn_speed = 0.013
simulation_rudder_max = 15.0

rudder_speed = 0.06
rudder_damp = 0.03

weight = 10000
construction_time = 8
sail_damage_scale = 1.0

}

I completely disagree!!!

The gallion/galleon or whatever the name was a pure tank capable to take a full salve of cannonball from a frigate and still being able to fight!!!

They are very slow, can't turn, don't sail near the wind but they can take a lot of damage!!!!

That's the only purpose of this ship: being a tank with a great cargo!!!

When i see some Xebec attacking a galleon i can't stop me to think they are really crazy!!!

That's a pure myth to say a pirate has ever looted a galleon (probably few did or had enormous fleet as Morgan or another)

It's not that big a nerf. I only made it a little bit less tank-ish. Call it a trade Galleon, something Spaniards used on the Pacific.

Galleon after my nerf is stil the strongest ship of pre-Frigate era. It's not like Sloops are sinking Galleons left and right in my game now after the change. :)

Galleon is way too strong in vanilla game in my opinion. To make it less tank-ish I decided to nerf it a bit to make it fit in with other ships of pre-Frigate era better. It's still the toughest and strongest ship of that period of time, just not as strong as it used to be.

In detail, I:
- removed warship attribute
- lowered hull and sails to 500
- raised max crew to 150 and minimal crew to 30 to increase cost
- lowered cannon range to 880 from 1100
- switched from heavy to medium cannons

Trying to understand all the results. What does the warship attribute do mechanics-wise?

Cannon type seems refer to damage and range modifiers in misc.txt. If I've understood correctly, light cannons have 90% of medium damage and range, and heavies 110%. Not sure why cannon range is set for both ship and cannon type, perhaps it's a relic from earlier development phase.

I've been actually using Brigs instead of Galleons in my current game. They're very price efficient, and even at pure effectiveness they haul better (due to speed) and do port conquest almost as well, only missing some cargo space for marines. (Unless warship attribute or cannon type somehow affects port battles. Not sure how important cannon count is there.) Your change to crew size would make Galleons a little better at conquest again I suppose.

Last edited:
I think your change would be a nice addition. I think you will also want to de-value the Xebecs. Typically Xebecs were fairly lightly constructed which gave them great speed, but made them fragile. Currently a couple Xebecs can take down a Galleon. With 3 Xebecs you can even take down a 90 gun SOL. Using the original auto resolve 3 cutters could sink a Galleon, though when I try it manually I always run out of ammunition before I can sink or make the Galleon surrender.

As a reply to cruizer - you are right about the Xebecs. But in order to win you have to control them properly (all three of them at the same time). This can get kind of tricky, especially if the wind doesn't want to play along.

It took me a long time to get over my initial addiction to Xebecs. They seemed cool, powerful and fast. Now I want substance. I tend to wait the extra build time months and pay the extra cash for building something heavier (like a galleon).