• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I must say, the coastal defense ship in camo just became my favorite image of the AAR so far. Silly question but since this is the first time I've seen such effort to keep a ship hidden, was this sort of method common?

It was standard practice if the ship was staying in one place in the archipelago for a longer time, camouflaging stationary ship made sense since the waters of Arcipelago Sea were littered with thousands of islands:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3128/2636092980_1488e6da67.jpg

In fact they still do it with, even though the camouflaging is made primarily with IR netting:
http://tietokannat.mil.fi/aalto2004/include/thumbnail.php?id=89&width=640

Dear Karelian,

I must be missing the point. Although this is an interesting history lessson and a laudable effort of yours, where is the AAR for playing Finland? Have you actually played Finland in HOI? If so how did it go and have documented? If so where? I am particularly curious about you ovecome the total lack of resources and seeming unwillingness of Germany to embrace Finland as a valuable ally?

regards,

Dear Karelian,

I must be missing the point. Although this is an interesting history lessson and a laudable effort of yours, where is the AAR for playing Finland? Have you actually played Finland in HOI? If so how did it go and have documented? If so where? I am particularly curious about you ovecome the total lack of resources and seeming unwillingness of Germany to embrace Finland as a valuable ally?

regards,

Patience, newcomer.
With time, or with a lot of time, Karelian shall proceed this AAR if he be so willing. Slowly the good cometh. :)

Karelian likes to write very long introductions :D

There used to be a writer, CSG_RR or something like that, who wrote in the HoI2 AAR forum a huge history of Germany and Britain, from the 1880s onwards, many hundred pages long, and never actually reached the point where he would play the game :D

Dear Karelian,

regards,

Have you read canonized's Timelines AAR for Eu3? It's been running for 3 years and not a single in-game screenshot... it's completely narrative, this is something like a hybrid AAR. History book.

Worry not, despite the lack of evidence this is a gameplay AAR :D and the updates so far have been just a prelude for it. I´ve already edited the orders of battle and infrastructure levels of Fennoscandia to suit my tastes in order to create more historical game experience. Once Magrathea map mod adds the rivers Vuoksi and Svir, I´ll mod in this and start the actual gameplay-part.

Thanks for all the input and I'll try to be patient. In the meantime, I have started again as Finland, this time from 1936 thinking I could use the time to build up. No use. I am now at late '38 and despite constant dipplomatic/intelligence effort to a) become a German ally and b) drag Norway/Sweden with me have reached almost complete economic & political collapse without increasing my IC or the size of my military. I probably could have taken better care of the economy, maybe even built some moreunits but at the expense of letting Norway, Sweden and Finland drift inevitably toward the Allies. Unless I am missing something there seems to be no way to play Finland except to follow history. I am very disappointed 'cos I know how that ended and my interest is in exploring the great "wot if's".

regards,