• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Historically, there were very few multi-way shipyards in this time frame. If they implement one it should be your home port only.

As to price premium, the unit price should go down not up to reflect the savings in ordering supplies for more than one build.

I tend to have a L4 shipyard in one of my Indian ports to replace losses without having to send a fleet back home without a profitable cargo (combat fleets). By the time I need one, it's usually very dangerous for a single ship (the replacement) to travel alone.

My understanding is that, several ships were usally being built at once in the old shipyards, 3 or 4 at a time, and when people refer to ships as sister ships, it means they were in the shipyard at the same time for some point in their constructions, so I don't think it's too historically inaccurate for such large countries for their period, with the most powerful companies in history to not share this luxury of times past :)

as to the cost structure I gave, I provided it to keep some balance to the game if such an idea were implemented, otherwise, the AI, other players, or myself would just keep rolling the ships out the door. it's not buying in bulk in the sense of groceries, it's asking a shipyard to hurry production and produce 2 or 3 in the time frame of 1.5, naturally, they'll charge extra. they might charge less if you provide them 18months for 2 ships, instead of 12 months :)

My understanding is that, several ships were usally being built at once in the old shipyards, 3 or 4 at a time, and when people refer to ships as sister ships, it means they were in the shipyard at the same time for some point in their constructions, :)
QUOTE]

That is my understanding also. From 1700 onwards (approximately) shipyards increasingly had a sort of mass production going (by mass, I mean 3-4) and logjams such as rope making and sail sewing had to be dealt with by increasingly more and bigger factories. By the Napoleonic times, smaller ships were built on temporary slipways on the banks of rivers because the yards were full of bigger ships.

Prior to using plans to build ships, each construction was done by sight by a master builder. This was the true reason for limited shipbuilding.

Remember serious damage might also require shipyard repair and resources.

Partially correct. Prior to 1600 a master builder was required, in the early 1600's the master builder instead built scale half-models of his ship, then provided the scale model to the shipyard. This was the birth of what we call half-hulls.

halfhull.jpg

ports2.jpg

Written plans for ships didn't evolve until the mid 1700s. written plans allowed for a base ship, where some tweaking was allowed. but the half-hulls are what allowed mass-production.

Partially correct. Prior to 1600 a master builder was required, in the early 1600's the master builder instead built scale half-models of his ship, then provided the scale model to the shipyard. This was the birth of what we call half-hulls.
Written plans for ships didn't evolve until the mid 1700s. written plans allowed for a base ship, where some tweaking was allowed. but the half-hulls are what allowed mass-production.

I remain unconvinced. I can not find a reference to half hulls that says they existed before 1790.

Misunderstanding, and I think it may be my fault, the evolution of what we today call half-hulls. the Master builder did indeed build a scale model, do a google scholar search with the context including ship building, scale model, most of the articles you have to pay for, but the abstracts speak well enough.

Here's an example:
Model Boats in the Context of Maritime History and Archaeology
Alistair Roach 1
1 Windy Corner, Weston Town, Evercreech, Somerset, BA4 6JG, UK
Copyright © 2008 Nautical Archaeology Society
KEYWORDS
wooden model boats • toys • north-west Europe • 9th–19th centuries
ABSTRACT
Funereal, votive or shipbuilders' model boats and ships have been quite well documented in the past, but little research has been undertaken into other wooden models from north-west Europe. There have been over 160 found during archaeological excavations, dating from the 9th to the 19th centuries. A study of these 'toys' is not just a study of objects among the minor arts, but reflects a far more important aspect—a source for interpreting remains of full-size vessels, the hypothetical reconstruction of hull-forms and exploration of new ways of defining unknown vessel-types.

There was also a great program on the history channel with regards to ship building, that's where I got my initial information, trying to source or replicate it has been difficult, but I'm learning a lot more on the subject.

There was also a great program on the history channel with regards to ship building, that's where I got my initial information, trying to source or replicate it has been difficult, but I'm learning a lot more on the subject.

I had to research the evolution of ships and ship building technology for a computer game ! It is a pity EIC didnt hire me ! :rofl: Apart from my total lack of the Finnish language and a morbib fear of the cold I would have been perfect. Seriously, research is a lot of fun and I commend it to anyone who has patience and a strong curiosity. Please keep me advised...

What I find kind of enoying is the switch from modes after you engage in a melee fight when capturing a ship. This ship goes in a non use state but you cant switch fast to another ship because of the mode change.

What I find kind of enoying is the switch from modes after you engage in a melee fight when capturing a ship. This ship goes in a non use state but you cant switch fast to another ship because of the mode change.

Agree. This is an example of what I posted earlier, that the user needs to be given visual feedback when something is happening. All throughout the game, as in Leooow's example, the user is not. It is usually very simple to do (just move the line of code to the beginning of the stack, and not at the end!) and makes a world of difference to the user experience.

I'd like to see slaves. Slavery was a major part of commodity trading and I believe the game should include Slaves.

It is not offensive or politically incorrect as it is a part of history. Omitting this for the sake of possible offense is in its own right offensive to those who believe historical accuracy should be followed.

Being that it is likely Slaves will not be added into the game, can I modify a main item to represent slaves and is it possible to alter the images so the commodity being shown is that of slaves?

But where would you sell those slaves? Americas aren't in the game...

So I bought this off steam and then bought Port Royale 2 because it was $2.
For the past few days I have been switching between the two and dare I say it but, Port Royale was slightly better :eek: that said, EIC is still really good just a few wishes:).

My wish list, more or less, involves feature from PR2 being brought into EIC. Namely the local trade mechanism that supports the global trade.

Local Traders --> buy from small local ports ==> sell to larger regional ports. Rinse repeat

Global Traders --> buy from larger regional ports ==> sell to European ports

Player starts as a contract sailor with a country then rises through the ranks to take control of the company. With the goal of going from regional trading to global trading.

I would likewise want to see private infastructure(sp) plantation, factories, etc that can be built letting the player further develop the region and attempt to create a chain that goes from the ground in india to the consumer in Europe.

maybe what I have wished for is too much, in that case perhaps for a sequal? Maybe its been said before, in that case then i'm glad there is sombody else who agrees.

</2cents>

The slave trade went far beyond just the "Americas"

The British, Dutch and Spanish all had rather significant slave trades. From Indian Slaves to African they were used all over. They were a commodity just as was Tea.

Just something I'd like to see, though I've gone about adding them already.

Only question i do have if maybe somebody could answer here, where are the descriptions at? I've adjusted the trade items, changed the GUI graphics to reflect a African slave trade (replacing fur) But the MTI still comes up as "exotic furs"

You are probably looking for Data/locales/en/_strings.txt... I could rename the goods in there to Polish names when I was translating the game so I guess renaming them to slaves is possible too.

The slave trade went far beyond just the "Americas"

The British, Dutch and Spanish all had rather significant slave trades. From Indian Slaves to African they were used all over. They were a commodity just as was Tea.

Definetly. The first African slaves were in the 1400's and they were for Spanish/Portugese fields and domestic help. Of course it wasnt as big as it would get to supply the Americas, but it did occur. Although not officially slaves, and outside the time frame, Indian workers (at slavery wages) were brought to Africa to fill in lower level management work. Europeans, whilst not officially slaves, were "indentured" to work in the Americas. The difference between indentured and a slave ? Theoretically you couldnt kill an indentured man. But you could starve him and work him to death in rags. Replacing slaves and indentured men eventually became so expensive, they took better care of both.

My suggestion concerns information flow. The information of prices (at least) should be updated if the fleet last visiting said port has sailed to your home port.

This would mean that if you do not resupply at coffee ports, you should have little-to-no information on the price of coffee.

Information travels instantly, as it is now, and this should be changed, at least on hard difficulty.

My suggestion concerns information flow. The information of prices (at least) should be updated if the fleet last visiting said port has sailed to your home port.

This would mean that if you do not resupply at coffee ports, you should have little-to-no information on the price of coffee.

Information travels instantly, as it is now, and this should be changed, at least on hard difficulty.

If you were only relying on your own ships, yes. But historically there were many ships and many traders. Information was available in most ports as captains, crews, sellers and buyers talked to each other. The purchase price was somewhat irrelevant anyway as there was considerable mark-up before selling in Europe.

Just as an aside, the Dutch smuggled out the secret of growing coffee from Arabia and grew it in the East Indies around 1700...give you some ideas, developers ??

I haven't delved too deeply into the trading parts of the game, since I've been interested in the actual tactical battles. I like the game, but not as much as I want to like it. Others have said it's too simple, and I agree.

1) No bow chasers or stern chasers? How can you not have bow chasers in a a frigate? Even if they didn't start there, the crew would move guns to the bow in a chase. This omission significantly alters tactics.

2) Sharpshooters and marines from enemy crews should automatically start firing at each other as soon as the ships get within musket range.

3) When ships take hits they should drop a trail of floating debris.

4) Frigates, two-deckers, and three-deckers are not slower just because they're bigger. Slower to turn and slower to accelerate, yes, but not slower in maximum speed. Frigates are often faster than smaller ships, in fact.

5) Speed in knots should be displayed.

6) A nice flavor addition would be to hear orders shouted down the chain of command, at least if you're zoomed in close enough.

7) Cannons should be able to fire independently and at will instead of being chained to simple broadsides.

8) It seems that a frigate is a frigate is a frigate - in other words, all frigates are the same - which takes some fun out of naval warfare. No two frigates are exactly alike, even those from the same shipyard. At least make french frigates a bit different from english and dutch frigates. This would make it fun to capture ships, too.

9) You should be able to toss your guns overboard in a chase.

10) A more complex damage model is needed. Masts should be destroyed individually rather than all coming down at once.

11) Fog, islands, coastline, and reefs.

12) Critical hits. Hit a magazine, and the ship explodes. Start a fire and it might burn to the waterline. One ball might take down a mast or the rudder.

13) Someone suggested warships should be able to set studdingsails. Agreed.

Anyway, just some thoughts I had.

Any Thoughts on Battle Audio? It seems to Me that the sound of a Broadside striking it's target would be more like a train wreck than the "chop some kindling" sounds we have here. I like all the other suggestions, and include a "run, like smoke and oakum" button.Lose the auto resolve.