• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(133722)

Second Lieutenant
2 Badges
Feb 2, 2009
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
Since applying Patch 2 (btw, thank you thank you thank you), I am getting stuck in RTS mode (Battle mode). I enter in, do some battle stuff, and eventually the dialog telling me the enemy is fleeing, and would I like to end the battle or pursue comes up. I choose End Battle, and then the game slows down but never leaves the Battle mode. I can change game speed, but nothing else. The Battle interface is gone, it just won't return me to Strategic view and I can't figure out how to force it.

Is there a way to return to Strategic view from RTS view?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Count me in with that thing happening to me right now. History wise I was playing the game without issue all day yesterday (with the patch applied) and then today the first battle finally did end after a lengthly wait while the game chunked along after that 'do you want to end the battle' dialog, this time though its just sitting there for what seems an indefinite period of time. I can click on the time multiplier and the options wheel and both those buttons were initially reacting to me but now that I've given it a few more minutes its taking much longer to get a reaction from them.

Ultimately I'm forced to load from a save game or quit to menu because this just doesn't seem to want to end otherwise. In neither of the past two battles did I adjust the time multiplier either and again this just started up today with the same build/config/etc as I was playing yesterday without issue, meanwhile it is a different save, restarted the grand campaign.

ED: Even the options menu is massively lagged out like something is excessively hogging all the CPU cycles. Reloaded from a save and it seemed to be reacting okay (but its lost the ability to read my scroll wheel on the mouse) but when I dropped to the main menu it was clearly lagging out while displaying the ship in the water.

Last edited:
If you are stuck, press escape and load pre-battle autosave.

Also, there's an easy way to dodge this bug. Never finish the battle on 4x speed since it only happens when you do that. My last new-patch game I fought countless battles, had over 100 ships sunk and only got stuck when I finished them at 4x.

Slightly different experience then as I didn't adjust the time multiplier at all in that battle and to be honest I can't use 4x in battles as it just gets choppy and actually slower then 2x. It also seems that once 'corrupted' the 3d engine just has a hell of a time after that so even if I reloaded a save game it'd be just as chunky and slow until I actually quit/rebooted the game entirely.

Good news indeed, as its rendered my ability to play the game pretty much nil since I can't conclude battles when fought manually. Still utterly bizzare that I was able to play the game a full day or so before this issue started happening.