• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
But yeah I get it.. it's just me wanting a game that is not hoi3. :sobs:

Hey, don't let the learning curve get you down. Patches will no doubt imrove the interface, which I grant has its limits, but think creativily about waht you want to do.

For example, drop the division roughly where you want it province wise, *then* click the button to attach it, since HQ's near it are list near the top, you should be able to attach it to a nearby HQ and have things work smoothly.

It also pays to take the time to properly name your orginization. The easiets way to do this is create a set of new HQ's with a detached divison (so create a corps HQ, then an army one, and finally an armygroup) and see what pattern the AI uses for creating those HQ's. Then go through and rename all your existing HQ's to use the same system as the AI, then any HQ's you create should automatically be named properly. This should give help you handle the whole thing faster (oh yeah, 9th Army was netx to Poland) and so on.

Well I do understand the system, it's not that hard, it's just a big tree.

My problem is that the UI is just really clumsy to actually make use of it. I think the biggest drawback is that all these ties are mainly 'on paper' and don't really correspond to the map.
You can still throw all divisions around regardless of army or corps. Besides for the AI the meaning of 'corps' is just not there. When looking at my maps I want to SEE the different armies/ corps, with that information it would become workable, right now.. it mostly resembles a plate of spaghetti.

Besides all the moaning.. thanks for making the guide, it really helped.

Is there a way to take an army group and make it just an army? I started the Blitzkrieg campaign with Yugoslavia, and it starts with eight army groups, and I want three. Is it possible to detach an army group and then tell it to attach to another army group as an army?

Is there a way to take an army group and make it just an army? I started the Blitzkrieg campaign with Yugoslavia, and it starts with eight army groups, and I want three. Is it possible to detach an army group and then tell it to attach to another army group as an army?

Not in one click. You'll need to take the armies under the army groups you want ti disband and attach them to the army groups you want to keep, then disband the army group HQ once its on its own.

Just need to say THANK YOU!

This was a huge help for me and so glad that Members here are so willing to help us out. This tutorial completely changed the way I played as I had tons of trouble understanding the detach and retach Army Coprs to new ones etc........Much appreciated for your help here.

I bought & downlaoded HOI3 yesterday, but all I have managed to do so far is some short tests and the like. But I know that I'm liking the new system, it seem very realistic and it lets me avoid the micromanagement. And this tutorial has really cleared the confusing bits! Thank you all involved!

It occurred to me that this system makes it quite easy to replicate the organisation of SS. SS was separate from the Wehrmacht, even though they fought side-by-side. So you could have Armies/theaters that are under AI-control, but you could then have unattached units that could be under player control. And those units could have separate goals and objectives than the AI-controlled Wehrmacht does.

Now I just have to find the time to actually play the game.... I know the Wife will be very grateful :D

Very informative thread. I would like to ask, if you want to defend a border but not give AI commands to the Theater HQ, what do you do? Let's say I have an army and two corps under a theater hq and I have 3 borders. Which one should I give orders to which will make them guard the border but not mess with unit composition? I ask this b/c, when I give an ai order to a theater HQ it always remakes what I've done.

Very informative thread. I would like to ask, if you want to defend a border but not give AI commands to the Theater HQ, what do you do? Let's say I have an army and two corps under a theater hq and I have 3 borders. Which one should I give orders to which will make them guard the border but not mess with unit composition? I ask this b/c, when I give an ai order to a theater HQ it always remakes what I've done.

Huh. The theatre HQ shouldn't mess with your unit hierachy, or do you mean your unit placement?

The easiest thing to do if you have multiple borders in one theatre area and want to amke sure the AI guards all of them equally is to create an army that consists of the forces you want defending one border, automate the army HQ, and set a defensive objective somewhere near that border, you should see some blue pips show up on the map when you set your objective, this will be the section of the front your HQ AI will concern itself with.

Then create two other armies for the other two borders.

I'm wondering if it's possible to give orders to units under automation without detaching it from the unit hierarchy. In other words, I'm totally fine giving the AI strategic direction of most of the theater, but if I see an opportunity, I'd like to disable AI control for maybe an Army or a Corps to take advantage of an encirclement or something--and I'd like to do it without losing the benefits of being in the hierarchy.

Nope,, and maybe that should be changed.

When I tried the same thing with the full game, it took until January for the Poles to give up:wacko:

I didn't realize that one could give multiple objectives to a HQ under AI contol, so I gave Warsaw as an objective to both AG North and AG South and left OKH doing nothing exept giving its bonuses to the Army Groups. But I forgot that the Air forces were not under AI control :mad:, so I eventually put them under AG South and AG North.

Nice AAR, and I'm glad to see that Poland CAN be taken in the historical timeframe:D

Henri

Ok, I wanted to add this.

For those of you that think the command structure takes too long to re-organize your whole army....................

Start a new game. Re-organize the army. A million clicks.

Save as
German start
Russian start
British start
USA start

Never delete the saved game. Then when you want to play a new game the Army command stucture is complete.

Only works to the next patch though.

The pictures are gone :(

can you re-post them? It would be SOO helpfull.

Photobucket is beginning to weep for mercy is what's happening, the links are still good, I'll need to start thinking about what to do about that. Might distribute some of the photos to other sites, or something.

Give it a bit and they should be back up.

Photobucket is beginning to weep for mercy is what's happening, the links are still good, I'll need to start thinking about what to do about that. Might distribute some of the photos to other sites, or something.

Give it a bit and they should be back up.

I don't see the link's you speak of. Maybe its the mono-tone of the forum.

Edit: ah, you mean the linking of the photo

I would greatly appreciate the pics as i am struggling with the new system right now.

You could fairly easily zip the images and put them in order. Then, it would be up to us to match the image with the post, but if they are numbered in order, that won't be a problem.

Would that work?

I don't see the link's you speak of. Maybe its the mono-tone of the forum.

Edit: ah, you mean the linking of the photo

I would greatly appreciate the pics as i am struggling with the new system right now.

You could fairly easily zip the images and put them in order. Then, it would be up to us to match the image with the post, but if they are numbered in order, that won't be a problem.

Would that work?

Problem should be solved now.

Would it be possible for someone to put this into a pdf? I ask as I'd like to review it from time to time in the immediate future.

*edit* Grabbed all relevant posts from this thread and mish-mashed them together into something Frankenstein-ish, but 33 pages lager in Word I've got something I can read at my leisure and fall back on when I'm unsure of something. :D

Last edited:
Would it be possible for someone to put this into a pdf? I ask as I'd like to review it from time to time in the immediate future.

*edit* Grabbed all relevant posts from this thread and mish-mashed them together into something Frankenstein-ish, but 33 pages lager in Word I've got something I can read at my leisure and fall back on when I'm unsure of something. :D

Can you please make it public uploading it somewhere?

Can you please make it public uploading it somewhere?

If you need, I can PM you my email address and put it up on filefront.

Try this link: HoI 3 Demo AAR Germany Tutorial. Its MediaShare which provides free hosting. Hopefully its not a terribad site. :D And if anyone wants to re-share it via another method and/or clean up my work please feel free!